Cloudiness Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sup3rFly View Post
    The one thing I never asked anyone here, was there any ever point swapping the filters? The other tank has never had an issue, just running a fluval filter, instead of an aquaone. Would that had made things worse or just a pointless exercise?
    Not really. Filters aren't complicated things - they just push water through some media and then pump it back out. That being said, if your filter has a lot of flow then that may agitate the water around your substrate a bit more and cause more cloud. I've really only added or upgraded filters to a higher capacity for a higher bioload.

Comment

Agree with Kenphlo.

Comment

It's time to tear the tank down!!! Excited and a little sad!

Just need to decide on a substrate and then do it! I will start a new album for it.

Thanks to everyone! For all your help and advice and for those who said it's the substrate, you win!

Comment

Nice one!

Consider 2TONED CO2 generating sub if you are not needing massive mountains of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel View Post
            Nice one!

Consider 2TONED CO2 generating sub if you are not needing massive mountains of it.
            Any stuff I should stay away from? I will likely do a carpeting plant again. ADA substrate is ADA substrata, every knows about it and uses it, likely the best?....but not overly sold on it. Heard good things about Mr Aqua Aquarium Soil too...

Wish we had access to Tropica here in Aus
            Last edited by Sup3rFly; 25-05-20, 03:41 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't bother with Fluval soils. Others are similar AFAIK.

Except for Eco complete and maybe Flourite.

Comment

Thanks to everyone! For all your help and advice and for those who said it's the substrate, you win!
                Yay I won something If only there's a prize...

Any stuff I should stay away from? I will likely do a carpeting plant again. ADA substrate is ADA substrata, every knows about it and uses it, likely the best?....but not overly sold on it. Heard good things about Mr Aqua Aquarium Soil too... (
                I'd stay away from Mr Aqua - for me it broke down even faster than ADA. Depends on how attached you are to Aquasoils - Eco complete will last the longest, but that's cos it's essentially just... rocks. Unless you're planning fairly fragile plants (which from your first photo doesn't seem to be the case), I'd suggest sand + fert tabs. I used a mix of sand, peat moss, vermiculite (for added CEC), some osmocote, and a tiny bit of B&B.

Comment

I wouldn't bother with Fluval soils. Others are similar AFAIK.

Except for Eco complete and maybe Flourite.
                  Originally posted by kenplho View Post
                  Yay I won something If only there's a prize...

I'd stay away from Mr Aqua - for me it broke down even faster than ADA. Depends on how attached you are to Aquasoils - Eco complete will last the longest, but that's cos it's essentially just... rocks. Unless you're planning fairly fragile plants (which from your first photo doesn't seem to be the case), I'd suggest sand + fert tabs. I used a mix of sand, peat moss, vermiculite (for added CEC), some osmocote, and a tiny bit of B&B.
                  I guess it's down to doing either sand with fert tabs or Oliver Knott range (heard good things) or ADA (just not sure which ADA though, Amazonia II any good or light?)
                  Last edited by Sup3rFly; 26-05-20, 07:44 AM. Reason: wording

Comment

You need to avoid any aquasoils if you want the guarantee of never breaking down. All of em will break down eventually. ADA amazonia 2 is pretty similar, I think they reduced some organic content or something. Ada africana is useless for nutrients though.

Comment

You need to avoid any aquasoils if you want the guarantee of never breaking down. All of em will break down eventually. ADA amazonia 2 is pretty similar, I think they reduced some organic content or something. Ada africana is useless for nutrients though.
                      What are you using Rebel? I've tried doing carpeting plants in eco-complete....never worked.

Comment

Cal Aqua Black earth. I still have some very heavy packets in the garage from years ago. I don't do much carpeting these days though.

I can confirm it breaks down especially if you handle it alot but within 2 years regardless. Maybe without shrimp it might be longer.

Comment

Cal Aqua Black earth. I still have some very heavy packets in the garage from years ago. I don't do much carpeting these days though.

I can confirm it breaks down especially if you handle it alot but within 2 years regardless. Maybe without shrimp it might be longer.
                          Nope, never again will I touch that stuff haha! If I aim for 2 years then re-scape, I think I'd go with ADA. If I want something that lasts, leaning towards Black Diamond Blasting Sand and root tabs...so many choices.

Just never Cal Aqua again

Comment

Just never Cal Aqua again
                            Well I don't have a choice. I can't really sell it knowing the issues.

Seachem fluorite black might also be good. Go for sand mixed with fluorite or ecocomplete etc with root tabs etc. Or the DIY soil mentioned by Kenphlo.

I do like to have some aquasoil around though because it makes the system much more forgiving. If you are good with your dosing etc, it should be fine though.

Comment

Pulling up the scape in 2-3 years time is fine - all part of the hobby and you get to play with a new scape

Btw, I wouldn't worry about getting every last bit of aquasoil out of the tank when you pull it apart (well, as much as you can). After you put the fresh substrate on and fill it up, just run some purigen to clear it up. Or, if you're feeling DIY, get a 5 micron water filter cartridge from Bunnings and run a powerhead through it to polish the water.

Comment

@Kenphlo, Do you mean like this? How do you connect this up to the tank?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/filter-n...-0510_p5090107

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0