No announcement yet.

Cloudiness Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bet its the Cal Aqua Black Earth, you will find I complained about the exact same thing some time in 2018/17, around that time I read others with the same soil having issues... I have feeling Cal Aqua had bad batch go thru.

FYI I try a UV on my little tank that had the cloudy / green water issue and it didnt help at all.

EDIT found when i first started complaining, was late 2017 - http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...ua+green+water

EDIT EDIT, just re-read my thread and it seems purigen helped with my green / cloudy water, could be worth a shot if you have not tried already.
    Last edited by doylecolmdoyle; 07-04-20, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Sadly I still have two bags of Cal aqua left....same stock with the cloudiness issue.

Comment

Originally posted by doylecolmdoyle View Post
        I bet its the Cal Aqua Black Earth, you will find I complained about the exact same thing some time in 2018/17, around that time I read others with the same soil having issues... I have feeling Cal Aqua had bad batch go thru.

FYI I try a UV on my little tank that had the cloudy / green water issue and it didnt help at all.

EDIT found when i first started complaining, was late 2017 - http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...ua+green+water

EDIT EDIT, just re-read my thread and it seems purigen helped with my green / cloudy water, could be worth a shot if you have not tried already.
        Isn't purigen a bit of a temporary solution though? Unless you keep recharging the purigen it'll just come back again.

Comment

Originally posted by doylecolmdoyle View Post

Did you ever end up changing the substrate? If so, what did you end up using?

I'm considering it more and more now, just not sure what substrate to go with.

Comment

try Amazonia light. Any of the aquasoils can have this issue though.

Comment

Sand + root tabs.

Comment

Originally posted by kenplho View Post
                Isn't purigen a bit of a temporary solution though? Unless you keep recharging the purigen it'll just come back again.
                Yep true, the green / cloudy water did return over time.

Originally posted by Sup3rFly View Post
                Did you ever end up changing the substrate? If so, what did you end up using?

I'm considering it more and more now, just not sure what substrate to go with.
                I ended up taking the tank down and next scape just used sand with no plants that needed soil... IMO planting into soil is a pain I just stick to the easy stuff these days and use gravel or sand.

Comment

I'll setup the UV this weekend, it's a Biopro / Hopar Aquarium UV Steriliser 18W, can't make it any worse can it . That doesn't work, then I guess I'll be tearing the tank down. I will update this for everyone.
                  Dude. I can't believe you are still having issues with cloudiness after all these months

It's not funny but it is lol.

You have a lot of patience though. I would have just given up after one month and restarted the tank.

If you do restart the tank get some easier substrate. I use eco complete and no issues ever. The thing is a beast it won't ever die! You just need to keep feeding it ferts and your all good.

Keep us updated on what you do next.

Comment

Originally posted by Monty1089 View Post
                    Dude. I can't believe you are still having issues with cloudiness after all these months

It's not funny but it is lol.

You have a lot of patience though. I would have just given up after one month and restarted the tank.

If you do restart the tank get some easier substrate. I use eco complete and no issues ever. The thing is a beast it won't ever die! You just need to keep feeding it ferts and your all good.

Keep us updated on what you do next.
                    Looking at it now, it is a little funny

I guess I wanted to find the cause before ripping it down and having the same issue. I haven't even had a chance to do the UV yet. This whole COVID thing makes it hard, specially working in the hospital industry.

Just the thought of pulling it down and trying figure out what to do with the fish is hard, the shrimp will just be painful and they won't last in another tank. I'll keep everyone update though. I'm just making sure the bacterial bloom or cloudiness doesn't start to create any ammonia. I've seen it at .25ppm, but sorted that with a quick WC.

Just feel like I kind of failed at this tank

Comment

I have a spare 3ft tank for occasions like this, so I can keep all the lifestock going in another tank with the same filtration/heater while I fix the other one. You're welcome to borrow it if you'd like.

Comment

I have a spare 3ft tank for occasions like this, so I can keep all the lifestock going in another tank with the same filtration/heater while I fix the other one. You're welcome to borrow it if you'd like.
                        Thank you! Appreciate this. Really do, a lot! I will PM when the time comes.

Just trying to figure out if a tiny bit of an ammonia spike is causing additional cloudiness or heterotrophic bacteria is converting into ammonia or it's just heterotrophic bacteria + the substrate

Comment

You are welcome to borrow my UV btw. Might be a pain to send it though because it's quite cumbersome. Can you find a UV locally to borrow?

Sometimes you do need to re-do a tank. They can fail randomly because of all the variables we don't know/can't control. Not your fault.

Comment

Thank you! Appreciate this. Really do, a lot! I will PM when the time comes.

Just trying to figure out if a tiny bit of an ammonia spike is causing additional cloudiness or heterotrophic bacteria is converting into ammonia or it's just heterotrophic bacteria + the substrate
                            FWIW, I've run into this before and have tried micron filters, purigen, UV, substrate cap, sand cap before pulling the whole thing apart. I don't really have the knowhow (or the means to test really) to understand what exactly was going on, and even if I did I'm not sure if I would be able to fix it. I was pretty sure it was substrate breakdown in my case - squeezed a few of the substrate granules into another container of water and it looked exactly like my cloudy tank. Having Ammonia in a tank is a bit of a worry though, but nothing like a bit of overfiltration to solve that problem

Comment

Agree with Kenphlo. Sometimes the aquasoil will break down. Those fancy youtube videos never show you the ugly/tedious side of fish keeping.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel View Post
                                You are welcome to borrow my UV btw. Might be a pain to send it though because it's quite cumbersome. Can you find a UV locally to borrow?

Sometimes you do need to re-do a tank. They can fail randomly because of all the variables we don't know/can't control. Not your fault.
                                Guess it's all in the hobby - its still been a great learning experience. I have a Hopar Aquarium UV Steriliser 18W, I'm going to try. I finally have some time off where I can get it all sorted! Thank you, means a lot!

Originally posted by Rebel View Post
                                Agree with Kenphlo. Sometimes the aquasoil will break down. Those fancy youtube videos never show you the ugly/tedious side of fish keeping.
                                100% spot on - they all look amazing on picture/video day, but never see the upkeep or the trouble they go through.

FWIW, I've run into this before and have tried micron filters, purigen, UV, substrate cap, sand cap before pulling the whole thing apart. I don't really have the knowhow (or the means to test really) to understand what exactly was going on, and even if I did I'm not sure if I would be able to fix it. I was pretty sure it was substrate breakdown in my case - squeezed a few of the substrate granules into another container of water and it looked exactly like my cloudy tank. Having Ammonia in a tank is a bit of a worry though, but nothing like a bit of overfiltration to solve that problem
                                The ammonia disappeared, which I'm happy about. As I said to Rebel, finally have some time off to sort this out and if it all doesn't work out, I know the layout I want for my next one and I'll have the time off to sort it out.

The one thing I never asked anyone here, was there any ever point swapping the filters? The other tank has never had an issue, just running a fluval filter, instead of an aquaone. Would that had made things worse or just a pointless exercise?
                                Last edited by Sup3rFly; 12-05-20, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0