Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloudiness Help

Hi All,

I did water change today to help combat cloudiness and it hasn't really helped - I'm running out of ideas of what it could be. I use Z-Aquatics Elxr Complete for plant ferts and have only dose that after water changes or once a week (wasn't an issue previously).

Any suggestions on what could be causing this? Shrimp and fish are fine.

May 2019 -

July 2019 -

Hey super fly your tank looks excellent.

The cloudiness is likely to be a green water bloom or bacterial bloom. Its not particularly harmful and you could leave it alone.

Can you borrow a UV? Uv will likelt zap it in a day or so.

Nice light mounting clips you have there for the fluval.

Comment

it could be from the eco complete.
      Do a 75% water change each day until it clears.
      Some plant substrates release ammonia and you need to check the water for ammonia and nitrite to make sure the substrate is safe.

You need a picture on the back of the tank to make the fish feel more secure.

Comment

How old is your aquasoil? That stuff breaks down after a while and clouds the water. A sand cap would help, but in the long run you may need to swap out the substrate.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel View Post
          Hey super fly your tank looks excellent.

The cloudiness is likely to be a green water bloom or bacterial bloom. Its not particularly harmful and you could leave it alone.

Can you borrow a UV? Uv will likelt zap it in a day or so.

Nice light mounting clips you have there for the fluval.
          Hi Rebel, thank you! Hmm, don't think I'd know anyone that would have UV light. Does it normally just go away?

I'm just thinking, I think it occurred after I cleaned the filter for the first time in 8-10months and all the tubes...I thought I overdosed excel...could the filter being getting use to all the bacteria again? I've checked all parameters, everything is fine.

Did I mess up?

Originally posted by Colin_T View Post
          it could be from the eco complete.
          Do a 75% water change each day until it clears.
          Some plant substrates release ammonia and you need to check the water for ammonia and nitrite to make sure the substrate is safe.

You need a picture on the back of the tank to make the fish feel more secure.
          Hey Colin, it's actually aquasoil, substrate was left in the take for almost a month before all the ammonia had leeched out, but that was 15months ago. I did a water change and it becomes crystal clear again, but then after sometime, clouds up again .

Originally posted by kenplho View Post
          How old is your aquasoil? That stuff breaks down after a while and clouds the water. A sand cap would help, but in the long run you may need to swap out the substrate.
          15 -17 months old I'm guessing.
          Last edited by Sup3rFly; 16-07-19, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Well maybe you were overzealous with your filter cleaning. Just wait it out.

Next time rise filter media in tank water.

Comment

Well maybe you were overzealous with your filter cleaning. Just wait it out.

Next time rise filter media in tank water.
              :
              How long could I be waiting before I start freaking out haha? Been around 2 weeks now....

Comment

No freak out man. Just ride it out. Can be up to several weeks. Occasionally i have heard of 3 months. Then pull out uv.

Comment

Hey Sup3rFly.

I think Rebel is spot on with the bacterial bloom theory.

I had this before around 2 years ago i think. I did a big clean in my tank and cleaned the filter. Shortly after that the tank was very cloudy and milky even though i didn't siphon the gravel or disturb it any way.

I think i just did another water change a few days later and added a second HOB filter and it cleared up within a few days or a week. It wasn't straight away though.

If your's is still cloudy after a long time then add an extra filter to help speed things up or add the UV filter.

But have a read online about bacterial bloom and other possible fixes.

Occasionally i have heard of 3 months. Then pull out uv.
                  Imagine that. Cloudy tank for 3 months. I don't think i could stare at a cloudy tank for longer than a week!

Comment

Originally posted by Monty1089 View Post
                    Hey Sup3rFly.

I think Rebel is spot on with the bacterial bloom theory.

I had this before around 2 years ago i think. I did a big clean in my tank and cleaned the filter. Shortly after that the tank was very cloudy and milky even though i didn't siphon the gravel or disturb it any way.

I think i just did another water change a few days later and added a second HOB filter and it cleared up within a few days or a week. It wasn't straight away though.

If your's is still cloudy after a long time then add an extra filter to help speed things up or add the UV filter.

But have a read online about bacterial bloom and other possible fixes.

Imagine that. Cloudy tank for 3 months. I don't think i could stare at a cloudy tank for longer than a week!
                    Guess we all seem to encounter everything at one stage or another.

Yeah, it's frustrating me so much, thought I was doing the right thing haha. Should I keep doing water changes as normal?

Did one on the weekend and it's clear for a few hours, then slowly changes back into the milky cloudy.
                    Last edited by Sup3rFly; 18-07-19, 06:00 PM.

Comment

You could try a product like Easy Life Fluid Filter Medium which is an excellent natural clarifier. As with water changes it's treating the symptom rather than the cause but might help until the problem resolves itself (assuming that the filter clean triggered it).

Comment

Originally posted by Oakes View Post
                        with water changes it's treating the symptom
                        Sometimes the cloudiness can be bacteria or even a green water algae bloom; hence the reason for the UV suggestion.

I had this white cloudiness about one year ago and used my UV (often so lazy to hook it up). Within 2 days it was gone and hasn't come back. I am not sure whether the $100 UV was worth it though I just have it in the cupboard.

Comment

Have a look at Splosht.
                          I have heard good things about this product (although I haven't tried it). And its Aussie owned and made.

Comment

Originally posted by lastlineofdefence View Post
                            Have a look at Splosht.
                            I have heard good things about this product (although I haven't tried it). And its Aussie owned and made.
                            Might have to check this out. Moving onto 3 weeks now and did another water change yesterday. Clears up for a few hours then just gets worse. Even the water that's siphoned out looks milky.

Sometimes the cloudiness can be bacteria or even a green water algae bloom; hence the reason for the UV suggestion.

I had this white cloudiness about one year ago and used my UV (often so lazy to hook it up). Within 2 days it was gone and hasn't come back. I am not sure whether the $100 UV was worth it though I just have it in the cupboard.
                            Thinking i may also need to invest in the UV.

Comment

Came home yesterday to a very cloudy tank and ammonia at 0.25 and had to do a water change.

Guys, starting to get worried as it's not getting any better

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0