Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the the most efficent co2 reactor/ mixer

Hello
    Living in tassie where co2 refill costs $40.00 for 2kg and $20.00 for 500grams ,
    I have a 250 litre tank and trying to keep co2 at 30ppm. I have noticed since increasing my co input to get to 30ppm that there is a lot of gas that spills out of the reactor/mixer. I have a tunze and also have tried a turbo reactor that i purchased off ebaY. Both loose a lot of gas when really cranking.

So all i want to know is what is the most efficent co2 reactor that does not spill excess gas.
    I have heard aquamedics are good?.
    cheers

In my opinion, the best reactor on the market for high volumes of CO2 is the Dupla reactor 'S', although I haven't used the aquamedic reactor. It looks reasonable (a bit of a copy of the reactor 'S'), but I don't like aquamedic generally. It's supposedly German designed stuff, but most of it is manufactured in China for cost savings. The quality of the product suffers, yet they still charge close to European manufactured prices.

You can put a LOT of CO2 through a reactor 'S' without any wastage. I've used them for years in all sorts of contexts, and they are excellent.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and it annoys the pig..."

Comment

Also, have you tried simply renting a large bottle from whatever Gas company supplies CO2 (It is BOC gases here in SA... I assume that they would be in Tassie too). Make sure it's food grade CO2. Rental will cost you around $30-$40 per month for the bottle, plus about the same for a fill when you need it filled... but it will probably last you 12 months.
      "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and it annoys the pig..."

Comment

The new-ish sera CO2 reactor is pretty good, that's what I'm using at the moment. Dissolves almost, if not 100% of the CO2 and is a lot cheaper than Dupla or Aquamedic.

Renting will cost more in the long run.
        Last edited by khemo; 22-04-11, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aquariumtherapy View Post
          Make sure it's food grade CO2.

are there different types of co2......??
          i was thinking of using a fire extinguisher ive got sitting around......

Comment

Yes, defenderzook, there are different types of CO2. Industrial, food and hydroponics are the three I'm familiar with.

I disagree that renting necessarily costs more, khemo. It depends on how much CO2 you are using (based on filtration types & de-gassing rates), and how much a fill on a smaller bottle is costing you. I've run tanks (with trickle filters) that would use a 1.5kg bottle of CO2 in a 1-2 weeks. In those cases, renting was cheaper.

Comment

what do you folks think of this type?

Comment

what do you folks think of this type?
                I have been hunting for these in Aus for quite a while and havent been able to get my hands on one. The gla website will not ship to australia. If anyone knows where I can get one can they please pm me
                My 80cm Cube - http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showthread.php/53552-Zanes-High-Tech-80cm-Cube-Build

Comment

Their site says to contact them regarding international shipping for anyone out of the US, Canada or the UK
                  Ive sent an email asking.

*edit*
                  Just got a reply, he said their site accepts orders, Ive placed one myself
                  Last edited by Dr freedom; 03-05-11, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr freedom View Post
                    Their site says to contact them regarding international shipping for anyone out of the US, Canada or the UK
                    Ive sent an email asking.

*edit*
                    Just got a reply, he said their site accepts orders, Ive placed one myself
                    Interesting looking diffuser
                    What was the price on shipping like

Thanks
                    Ray

Comment

I bought a couple of things.. I didnt buy the intank one though, I bought a couple of the clear inlines & some other stuff.
                      Next time I rebuild a tank & im not so wet behind the ears about it all, I might try one

30 for shipping

Comment

Originally posted by Dr freedom View Post
                        I bought a couple of things.. I didnt buy the intank one though, I bought a couple of the clear inlines & some other stuff.
                        Next time I rebuild a tank & im not so wet behind the ears about it all, I might try one

30 for shipping
                        Thanks for that
                        The shipping makes it am expensive item
                        Will have to wait

Thanks
                        Ray

Comment

with Dupla type S and Dupla 400, what you have to consider is the tube size and whether you want to invest in more powerhead/external pump.
                          If you use the Eheim Professional filters or fluval filters, some comes with 12/16 tube and the inlet of the splitter (the little plastic connector that supposed to go in between the filter to the reactor) only comes in 12 mm and 10 mm. 12/16 tube is too big for these unless you want to use a pipe ring to tighten the green tubes or if you can find a convertor. So something to consider.

I'm using Dupla 400 and I dont think it's 100% dissolving the CO2 into the water because my indicator never turn green so I dont think it's a good one.

Hope that makes sense.

Comment

I reckon something like the one in this thread would be pretty efficient... While not the prettiest or least inconspicuous, it is certainly cheap and effective...

I'd probably use a diffuser inside the reactor though, but that's just me being ocd...
                            Meh.

Comment

this is my version, pressurized co2 and a cheapy powerhead i had lieing around. cheapest smallest diffuser i could find. all up, about $20 i purchased new.

I run this on my 7gal.

i use an up! atomizer on my 40cm cube. the diffusion looks a little similiar, but u dont get the 'spread' or cloud that the atomizer brings.. similiar sized bubbles, but less coverage...

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0