keg king up aqua regulator and sodastream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• keg king up aqua regulator and sodastream

I have been doing search on CO2 related topics for some time and i have now decide to share my experiences with you people.

I started out my CO2 journey with a up aqua regulator, sodastream adaptor and a sodastream bottle.

The regulator cost me $80, adaptor on ebay $40 and sodastream bottle $40 and refills $12 which i done every month.

Total cost is $80 + $40 + $40 = $120 + $12 every month

I decide to invest in a real CO2 bottle as i felt the sodastream route is expensive but i also felt that i have enough experience to tackle a real CO2 bottle and wanted a challenge.

I done some research on different CO2 bottles provides out there and decide to buy a Keg King off ebay. The reason I decide Keg King on ebay is because it is made from steel and the seller would personally delivery it right to my door at a time I choose. I also asked them how much will refill be with delivery included, $50 - hopefully at a time of my choosing too.

With couriers I know they will come SOMETIME during a certain day and I might not be home and will have to pick it up from a depot which could be far away. I work 8am and come home at 6pm and I will not send the CO2 bottle to my workplace.

Now that I have got my KK CO2 bottle I decide to take off my up aqua regulator that is attached to my sodastream adaptor, to my surprise it turns out it is chemically wielded together and the regulator can not break off from the adaptor. I grabbed my hacksaw and decide to cut it loose.

And now the aftermath photos which will finish off this story for me.

Sodastream adaptor - The silver colour part is the stem of the up aqua regulator

Up aqua regulator stem - Up aqua stem hacked semi-flush.

Up aqua stem and sodastream adaptor - Hacksaw aftermath. keep in mind of the washer.

Up aqua stem and KK CO2 bottle - Up aqua stem and KK CO2 nozzle diameter.

Up aqua stem, washer and KK CO2 nozzle - Using the washer to make a seal

Up aqua stem nut, washer and KK CO2 nozzle. Compare the amount of threads with washer attached left between the up aqua nut and the KK CO2 nozzle.

Up aqua stem attached to KK CO2 nozzle - Just 2.5 threads left. the washer will prevent gas escaping.

Up aqua regulator attached to KK CO2 bottle front view

Up aqua regulator attached to KK CO2 bottle fside view 1

Up aqua regulator attached to KK CO2 bottle fside view 2

By the looks on the regulator guage it seems the bottle is low in gas. That is incorrect. I believe the reading is just the working pressure of the regulator. The weight of the 2.6KG KK CO2 bottle totals 9KG. I'm guessing 4KG when bottle is empty, 2.6KG liquid CO2 and the rest is gas pressure.

I've ordered another regulator off aquaristic.net so when it comes in i will be using that. It should be compatible as the uk, euro and aus use the same standard threads... IF i read correctly.

My current KK CO2 bottle does have a test station stamp on it, a reference to previews comments that say they do not have one.

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by ma_rine_sa; 03-04-10, 03:37 PM.

Few comments,

800 psi, is about right for a regulation filled co2 cylinder.

30 psi is within the correct working pressure, this depends on the brand and make of the regulator.

If the bottle weighs 9kg without the regulator attached.

It will be 6.4kg empty. This should be stamped as TARE weight. Gaseousness CO2 even under pressure won't weight much at all.

FYI in this picture.

Up aqua stem and KK CO2 bottle - Up aqua stem and KK CO2 nozzle diameter.

Technically you should take out the inner disc from the nozzle of the KK bottle with an Allen key. It works with your "hacked" regulator but with this inside it won't fit a "unhacked" regulator.

$50 dollar is pretty expensive for a KK bottle refill, think it is about $35 for swap and go.
    Robert

Comment

Originally posted by ma_rine_sa View Post
      I also asked them how much will refill be with delivery included, $50 - hopefully at a time of my choosing too.
      The company I just purchased mine from (see my 'budget Co2 cylinders post) offer the same service for Sydney metro customers for a little under $50 - probably the same company.
      The extra $ for the refill may be worth it for the convenience of a door-to-door refill service for those that work long or unusual hours. For others it may just be a hassle to get to a gas place. Either way, it's a good marketing tool..
      Live your life like no-one's watching!

Comment

Working...
      X
      google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0