Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water changes for Shrimp tank

Guru's,

It may come as a shock but I don't test my water quality and never have in all the time I have had fish tanks. The question I have is how often should you change the water for a shrimp tank ? 40 litre tank, filtration in the top of the tank and about 40 shrimp.

Regards

Tony

Depends on your feeding regime and whether any rocks are leeching.

I reckon 10% per week is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel View Post
      Depends on your feeding regime and whether any rocks are leeching.

I reckon 10% per week is fine.
      I will start at 10% then and see how it goes. Rocks and associated woods are all very aged and no leakage at all. Food may be an issue as I tend to over feed on pellets (high grade stuff) and mulberry leaves. I did notice the other day a worm like thing crawling about, it looked like a earth worm but wasn't. Unsure if that is an issue and don't know where it come from.

Comment

If you overfeed, 20% might be better. Play it by ear. I assume these are cherry shrimp?

Comment

If you overfeed, 20% might be better. Play it by ear. I assume these are cherry shrimp?
          Yeah, bloody mary's, chameleon, reds, blues, yellows. (and a worm)

Comment

Some of those are a little exotic. Make sure you match the new water well and perhaps do the water change slowly.

Comment

Some of those are a little exotic. Make sure you match the new water well and perhaps do the water change slowly.
              Yes, thanks for the advice, I will do that this afternoon.

Comment

Make sure you match the new water well and perhaps do the water change slowly.
                There is another school of thought: make water changes as big and often as possible. In a such case water in your tank would be quite close to water in your tap.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Tetra View Post
                  There is another school of thought: make water changes as big and often as possible. In a such case water in your tank would be quite close to water in your tap.
                  Thanks Neon Tetra, I am sure there are many different opinions and expertise out there, but I guess in any case as long as the water is changed is all that matters.

Thanks for your insight thou.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Tetra View Post
                    Not a good idea when Shrimp are concerned IMO.
                    Whatever

Comment

Originally posted by BigDaddyAdo View Post
                      Could you elaborate a bit more on your statement?

When I first saw the idea about big water changes in shrimp tanks, it looked logical to me. If you do not tinker with water parameters (e.g. use RO water, adjust hardness etc.) but make big and often water changes, the parameters in the tank remain stable. The only challenge is to degas water and bring it to the correct temperature, which should not be that hard to do.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDaddyAdo View Post
                        Alot of taiwan bee shrimp keepers agree with this - they notice random unexplained deaths after continually doing bigger water changes often. Hence why alot of them opt for 10-20% every second week and feed their shrimps lightly

Comment

When you test the water and match it you are also only testing very few parameters. The more water you replace the larger the parameters swing.

I will change up to 20% but prefer to keep it at 10% weekly. Basically just enough to give it a good substrate vac and no more. I only keep TBs though.

You can get away with 20-30% with Cherries, etc. but TBs are finicky by comparison, especially shrimplets.

You just need consider the value of the shrimp you are keeping and the risk involved and weigh it up against the benefits.

Overfeeding is easily avoidable. Just make sure you have a few leaves, moss/fissiden, wood, etc. to allow them to stay full in between feedings. I personally se targeted feeding as a supplement.
                          Whatever

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0