Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

its from the ocean so may have salt in it. i dont think thatd be goof for high grades but should be fine
    "You wouldnt have that problem with a V8"

Comment

ide say it would be washed in fresh water and that tiny amount of salt wont hurt them, seen people feeding sss with it so should be all good!

Comment

Many thanks for the info

Comment

This is a great write up.

I would love to get into CRS but I there are 2 main impediments for me.

1) Perth Water is very hard.

I cannot justify getting an RO unit. I would not dare to use chemicals to adjust pH. I have tried with CO2 but too difficult and in the end caused problems as well.

2) Perth Summers are unforgiving.

Again, cannot justify the spend on a Chiller.

Is the heat the killer or the lack of oxygen? Will bubbling air into the tank help?

Comment

great write up has helped me heaps with seting up my new shrimp tank
            jake

Comment

Excellent work Penthrox, really impressive!

Might be worth mentioning that your water hardness, even in Adelaide, varies depeding on the dam you're supplied by. There is one supplying parts of the Hills (and I think maybe some of the Southern suburbs like Aberfoyle Park?) which has a clay basin, and so gives very soft water.

There are also the Biomax foods - it's probably going to be impossible to get an exhaustive list of the appropriate legal imports.

Another alternative for cooling (although you did mention that there were others) is using your air con. If you have a large number of tanks, and good insulation, this might end up being cheaper and more efficient in the long run - although we'll see how that pans out after the new tax.

Thanks again for doing this - brilliant job!
              "Weeds are just plants growing in the wrong place" - Jackie French
              Gardening is just racism for plants - Amber, The Old Guys

Comment

great read, it should help many beginners
                Good Traders: nchanted, aquariumtherapy, duke box, Trona84, mojo, TyS

Comment

Thanks for the write up.
                  Last edited by mayc; 01-07-12, 08:57 AM.

Comment

+1 for the excellent work

Comment

Penthrox, Please clear your inbox!
                      "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and it annoys the pig..."

Comment

Thumbs up for the RO unit! I am using one as well, and it has been perfect!

Comment

For those of you using RO water, do you treat the water with minerals (Benibachi mineral powder for example) ? Would be very helpful to know that, cheers
                          And also, with the benibachi balls, do they help in the long run?
                          Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Chazzam View Post
                            For those of you using RO water, do you treat the water with minerals (Benibachi mineral powder for example) ? Would be very helpful to know that, cheers
                            And also, with the benibachi balls, do they help in the long run?
                            Cheers
                            i know im not using an ro unit but i use half rainwater half tap water and seems to be working well, also alot cheaper than buying an ro unit

Comment

hi, i was just gonna ask, do you need to have them by themselves or can you have them with other fish, e.g. not fully matured guppies??

Comment

If you want to breed high grade shrimp then they have to be by themselves (or with ottos). If you're not fussed about the grade, but just want to keep them, there is a list of fish that are safer with shrimp in the beginner's stickies, under "Plants and Tank Companions". The only fish that are truly safe with shrimp are ottos.

If you want more information on the fish in the list, have a look in the articles section under "fish".
                                "Weeds are just plants growing in the wrong place" - Jackie French
                                Gardening is just racism for plants - Amber, The Old Guys

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0