This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Guys,

if you can think of anything i've missed let me know and I'll sort it out.

Next up is a keeping shrimp with fish article.

Juls

Comment

In regards to better colour with age... you can tell when you keep shrimps with fish...

all larger shrimps that are too big for my rams are deep/blood/dark red... where as if it was purely genetics I would have some plain rcs
      Robert

Comment

I have mentioned regarding age for colouring, I do have some Female Cherrys in my display that are upwards 25mm and have very poor colouring, but also have 12mm ones with brilliant deep dark colour in the same tank.

I will try to get some pics.

The biggest are the most likely to have the best colour though, I will agree with that.

Also, my gold rams took 25mm females no probs, but they where pretty big, close to 6cm. Little 4cm rams are fairly safe.

Juls

Comment

That was a good little run down on cherry shrimp, thanks. Nice pics, hope mine turn out as red as yours.
          veni, vidi, vici.

Comment

Fantastic read, thanks Juls for that.
            One thing i notice is whenever i crank up my CO2 for a period of time, my cherries seem to turn purple, somewhat like carbon monoxide poisoning in human with central cyanosis. Ill take a pic when i have the chance.
            aLan

Comment

Yes on timer, but for a period of time i did bump up my Co2 to 6-8bps trying to tackle algae and promote new growth and incidentally i noticed plenty of purple cherries. As i then lowered by bps, purple tinge slowly wean off. Would like to hear anyone with the same experience?
              The high Co2 level didnt seem to affect them breeding, i still constantly seeing berried females and plenty of babies around.
              aLan

Comment

Great topic Juls. Also explains why 1) I see the odd clear/colourless ones from time to time and 2) why there now seems to be more of them in spite of me falling behind in my tank maintenance.

Cheers,
                Scott

Comment

Very very good read.

Comment

Cherry Shrimp are awesome, thanks for the info. The pics are stunning also

Comment

Just a small question for you juls, how do I tell the difference between cherry shrimplets and chameleon shrimplets? I has my reddest cherries in another tank along with some of my blue type ones, when you sent me the chameleons I put some of those in there too. Now I find it very hard to distinguish between the 3. I have some bluish babies but can't tell if they are chameleons or not. I did notice some have a pearlescent sheen to them, could this be the chameleons? Also noticed some yellow, do Chameleons go this colour?
                      Amateur Shrimpkeeper

Comment

here are some of my RCS... do you think the last 2 pics are a male?
                        berried female

Male ?
                        male?
                        Amateur Shrimpkeeper

Comment

I don't think so, there isn't the two spine lines in the back and there is a obvious place for the saddle.

They are supposed to be dimorphic so it's not normal to have a male that looks like a female.

Juls

Comment

thanks juls, i am just trying to find the best male i can to get this red getting better. most of my males are spotty, but the shape of that one had me thinking she was a he. no biggy but i would like a more definitive guide to sexing other than the usual body shape and males are less coloured than females.
                            Amateur Shrimpkeeper

Comment

Very good read, i knew a bit about them from what i read on here but that sure did fill in the gaps.

Originally posted by Juls View Post
                              Next up is a keeping shrimp with fish article.
                              Will be looking forward to this one.

Comment

Thanks Juls, really helpful for a beginner like me that is keen to start with shrimp

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0