Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how many crs can I have in a 20 litre tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how many crs can I have in a 20 litre tank?

Hey guys just wondering what you think the maximum amount of CRS i can have in a 20 litre tank is? The tank is pretty roomy, aqua soil, a few riccia rocks and lots of moss on thin pieces of drift wood.

Cheers

I'd suggest that if the filtration is really good then you could fit around 30 or so, and it would look packed, though that wouldn't be my suggestion. The problem with these smaller water volumes is that you'll have quicker spikes in nitrates even with a lower PH, and therefore have a harder time keeping 30 shrimps alive, let alone happy.

I think a small tank like that would more realistically keep 5 - 10. Even so, you'll possibly run in to problems breeding them at that volume of water, dependant on your control of keeping those tank parameters super stable.

What is your filtration? Feel like sharing a pic or two?

Comment

With a good filtration, experience (eye for water parameters) and a good maintenance program (i.e. 1-2 weekly water change and monthly filter clean), 30+ isn't a problem with a 20ltr tank. Just depends on how dedicated you can be ( or want to ), with your tank, and be a slave to it ! I for one enjoy it all for it's complexities and hands on that a nano tank requires.

Comment

cameras not working atm Im using a canister filter I got off the internet for $15. its a Resun CY-20 it suits up to a 60 litre tank, it works pretty well, its like half the size of my tank lol Im doing 2 water changes a week and spend at least 30 mins each WC wiping down the inside walls of the tank and trimming plants. (I bought those stainless steel aqua scaping tools, they are wicked!) I love my nano, lol. Soooooo, I'll give it a go soon.

Thanks guys.

Comment

With the water changes and that size filter you should be ok having around 30 in there... maybe start with 20 and then try to breed them up? Any breeding (and shrimplet survival) should be a sign that the environment is healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by escapegdc View Post
            With a good filtration, experience (eye for water parameters) and a good maintenance program (i.e. 1-2 weekly water change and monthly filter clean), 30+ isn't a problem with a 20ltr tank. Just depends on how dedicated you can be ( or want to ), with your tank, and be a slave to it ! I for one enjoy it all for it's complexities and hands on that a nano tank requires.
            love the slave bit! lol....so so so very true.
            Better to kiss your wife goodbye when you leave the house than to kiss your house goodbye when the wife leaves you.

Comment

Ok so I bought some S+ CRS today from a breeder. Told him I'm putting them in a 20 liter moss tank and asked what the maximum amount it could hold if they were to breed. He says 100 easily lol. Also apparently there is no need for water changes, I'm just to top up the tank when water has evaporated, and do a small water change every 2 weeks or so, and only clean the filter every 6 months. I ran this past my mate who works in my LFS and he agrees.

Thoughts?

Comment

I was about to say, i have a 27L mossy tank with 2 amazon sword plants in it to act as my filter. No filtration otherwise, only topups with RO water and use a bubbler overnight to replish oxgyen and crete water movement. i fertilise it using pee, and have co2 on it at 1bps(driven by a powerhead) with a 36watt PL & a 4wat LED moonlight (used to use spit but i found shrimp were sensitive to overdose on it). It grows a decent amount of algea which the 80+ glass shrimp happly graze on. i supplement their diet with some novo prawn and leftover fish-food from the 15 ember tetra i also keep in it...

The hardest part of this setup is establishing a good amount of bacteria in the moss. It takes a while for the ecosystem to find an an equalibirium (about 6 months from setup with a sterile environment). Using moss from established tanks and then building up your population over a period of months can short-cut the process. Topping up with some water from another estalbished tank periodically and some ada supplements help get a good micropopulation going. Back before filtration become advanced, using plants to suckup phosphates/nitrates was very common.

ive had my ups and downs with this method, mostly from jumping shrimp, but now i use duckweed to keep them from being to leggy. but the tank requires no real maintence at all, and all the shrimp are quite happy and always forgaing. lately ive been adding weather leaves, leaves fished out from rivers and algea infested plants from my other tank which the shrimp warm all over and clean off and eat. My driftwood has also started to decay and the shrimp are slowly breaking it down for food.. Its quite satisfying to have a self-maintaing ecosystem in your living room, thats for sure

To cap off: 27L, 15 ember tetra, 80~ glass shrimp. No filter, only topups.

Comment

Quick question. Whats the best food for CRS? I just bought this stuff called "SERA Shrimps natural granules" I got it cos it had a pic of a CRS and a CBS on the container, so Im guessing its for them lol
                  Cant wait till my CRS tank takes off, its been set up for 2 weeks now, so far it has flame moss, weeping moss, a small amount of fissidens, peacock moss and riccia. I recon in about a month or so it will look wicked
                  I'll probably buy a nano cube in a few weeks to for selective breeding of some sexual SS CRS and if im lucky some SSS!

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0