This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up a CRS tank using UGF.

A few people have asked how I go about setting up my small breeder tanks using UGF. A controversial topic for some reason in Oz.

So here is a step by step on what I do.

First is the tank. For this example I have chosen a 2ft tank.

I prefer the KIS UGF but you can use any brand you like.

Before I fit the UGF I lay a thin layer of media, I like eheim filter media but you can use small lava rock, ceramic noodles. Spread it even so the UGF can sit as if it were not there. You do not have to do this but IME it works well and improves water quality by increasing beneficial bacteria.

Next assemble all remaining parts of the UGF. Tubes,airlines etc.

Before laying the substrate I cut a neat piece of shade cloth. This will prevent the soil from entering the UGF and make it easy for soil removal in the future.The idea to use shadecloth originally came from Dave Wilsons diy bio balls.

Next gently spread the soil, you want to have a 4-8cm covering over the UGF. The flatter the better for the UGF. Use a ruler or trowel to get it nice and flat.

Next use the bag from the substrate on the soil to prevent the water from stirring it all up and creating a mess. If you are careful you should have a crystal clear tank.

Now I assemble my DIY divider. I use some plastic craft mesh and poster hangers.Cut the hangers to size and simply slide in the mesh. If done correctly you will have a nice tight fit and no need for glues etc.

The end result.

There you have it. A very simple breeder tank that won't cost the earth. I hope this is beneficial to those questioning how to go about it. It does not need to be hard and can be enjoyable..

Items used

1 x 2ft Tank
    1 x UGF
    1 x twin air pump
    1 x small box filter media
    1 x bag ADA amazonia
    2 x craft mesh
    1 x poster hanger kit
    1 x 1mtr black shade cloth 70-90%

Those interested in CRS might like to check out my thread on PRL, click the link to go to the thread.

http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt......?highlight=
    Last edited by Estimative_Index; 17-10-11, 06:54 AM.

Nice Article Brad. Thanks for Sharing

Comment

How long do you normally cycle such a breeding tank with ADA soil to be safe for higher grade shrimp, Brad?

Sticky quality for sure!
      sigpic

Subvert the dominant paradigm!

Comment

Great tip for using additional bio-media under the UGF. I had thought to do that previously but always opted not to for fear of blocking the water flow - but then I hadn't thought to use the mesh screen to prevent clogging.

Nice one
        Live your life like no-one's watching!

Comment

Originally posted by Plantnut View Post
          How long do you normally cycle such a breeding tank with ADA soil to be safe for higher grade shrimp, Brad?

Sticky quality for sure!
          Thanks Wolfgang.

Here is what I do when setting up a new shrimp tank using aqua soil.

Day 1- set up tank
          Day 2- 90% water change
          Day 3- 90% water change
          Day 4- 60% water change
          Day 5- 25% water change refilling with existing water from my established 6ft tank. I add a pre existing cycled filter once temperature is up that I have on standby always as a spare on my 6ft tank. At this point I also add any plant's. It's usually moss from other tanks and pellias etc. These will have some bacteria.

Day 6 and on- at this point I usually leave the tank for 2 week's. I then check Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. P.H is generally not my concern but you can test. The tank is usually cycled by this time and I will remove the external canister. Monitor for a further 2-3 days. Sometimes you can get a mini re cycle when removing the canister so be patient if this happens. Do a 20% water change and once temp is up you should be good to add inhabitants.

There are a couple of tricks you can do, using some media under the UGF from an existing canister, using water from an existing aquarium for the cycling. This method will still work without using a canister but cycling time will be extended by maybe a week or 2.

It always varies, so to be realistic cycling times can be from 2-6 weeks on average if you were to use brand new everything.

Comment

Originally posted by swampy1972 View Post
            Great tip for using additional bio-media under the UGF. I had thought to do that previously but always opted not to for fear of blocking the water flow - but then I hadn't thought to use the mesh screen to prevent clogging.

Nice one
            As long as you use it sparingly. Just a nice single layer to allow for some circulation. Like I say, you do not have to do this it is a personal preference.

Comment

Nice one
              But not good for the plants
              Only good for shrimp

Comment

Nice article, do you do maintenance on the UGF at all? Where can we buy the plastic mesh?

Ace

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
                  Nice article, do you do maintenance on the UGF at all? Where can we buy the plastic mesh?

Ace
                  No maintenance. You can buy the mesh from any craft store, I get mine from RIOT..

Cheers
                  Last edited by Estimative_Index; 25-05-11, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Hi Brad,

That looks really good! I'm just being curious, will this method work for a planted tank though? I know UGFs are not suitable for plants but as you have added a mesh in there, will that make it alright?

Maddi

Comment

You could make it a thickly planted aquarium... just depends on what plants you use.
                      sigpic

Subvert the dominant paradigm!

Comment

I like the divider idea, what would you do if the fit was not tight ? how would you go about keeping the divider up

I wonder if you can grow moss on the divider, maybe do a thin sandwich divider with moss...just a thought..

Comment

Just to answer the questions regarding plant's.

For me, breeding shrimp in this type of set up means very little plants. Preferably you would use moss and ferns on wood. I would use small pieces that I can remove if I need and leaving plenty of room to catch baby shrimp.

It's not designed to be a planted tank for the obvious reasons mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by odie_88 View Post
                            I like the divider idea, what would you do if the fit was not tight ? how would you go about keeping the divider up

I wonder if you can grow moss on the divider, maybe do a thin sandwich divider with moss...just a thought..

As the poster hangers fit tightly over the mesh you can pull them outward to adjust for tight fit. If you wanted put a dob of silicon on each end of the top before filling with water. Normally I would make up the divider then apply the substrate. Not that it really matters just holds the bottom better.

You could do a moss wall, you are only limited by your imagination.

Cheers

Comment

wow...nice thread!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0