This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Import Report for Cardinal Shrimp Caridina dennerle

just trying to add some text to see if the 404 error occurs? hopefully not, however it wont be much help if only mods can add the info.

Document added as an attachment - Holotype

Introduction

Below is the most recent advice from DOSEWPAC on how to complete the report that addresses the TERMS OF REFERENCE, the headings are underlined bold. The advice from the dept is underlined. Any information gathered addressing the terms of reference is plain text with bold heading below the relevant terms of reference with references for the section at the bottom

Cheers
    Dave

cardinal.shrimp.01.jpg

Helpers and contributors
    DiscusEden - Carolyn
    Estimative Index
    Ferocious
    Brushy
    Saundo - Andrew
    Kiwibigd
    Nchanted - Dawn
    Dean
    Bigdadyado
    Limegirl
    Mjay - Michael
    2toned
    Noaddedmsg
    Forever mango
    Midnight
    Solomon
    Cipher
    Vspec20110903 Cardinal Shrimp report V4.doc
    Attached Files
    Last edited by rufus; 09-05-11, 09:45 AM. Reason: document details edited as requested

Ok I'm in.

What is the first step? Picking a family? Does an assessment need to be done on every single type or would say caridina cover all caridina types?

I for one would like to see saluwesi shrimp. Cheap to buy OS and highly ornamental. So if we chose caridina that gives us a wide choice.

Just a suggestion.

So yeah where do we start.

Comment

yeah im in,. itll give me something to do instead of look up law reports :/
      poke me and watch how ill react..

Comment

The assessment would be
        A family such as ATYIDAE
        A genus, such as Caridina
        or an individual such as Caridina spongicola ( reference http://www.guitarfish.org/2008/02/07...ulawesi-shrimp )

It would also be best to be commercial in nature, in partnership with an importer and a breeder.

Cheers
        Dave

Comment

I'm in, as far as my non-science background will take me. Surely I could be of some help

I'd go to great lengths to get my hands on a new shrimp species in Australia.

Comment

I'm in. I'm no biologist but have read enough on the wretched IRA on iridoviruses that reckon I could be of some help.

Comment

Sounds good to me. I'll sticky the thread as I'm sure it will go through periods of little online action while data is collected, reports copiled etc.

On the Importer/ Breeder front I'd assume they would need to either be or have access to a registered Quarantine facility. Do you have this Dave? If you're doing the work you should get some of the reward. (I'll just take a small cut!!LOL)

CRS do nothing for me but if we could get the Sulawesi shrimp into the country legally then I'll become a convert!!

Oh and I don't consider myself overly smart or knowledgeable but happy to help if I can!
              If it swims it's good, if it's Sahul it's better!

Comment

Is there the huge cost that is involved when trying to get fish on the import list (thought it was something like $10 000? to submit a proposal)

Comment

More than happy to help with this project, count me in ;-)
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by saundo View Post

Oh and I don't consider myself overly smart or knowledgeable
                    Neither do we.

I will help in any way I can even if it is only making the odd smartarse comment here and there.
                    Whatever

Comment

Willing to help out a little too. Biological science background here.

Comment

I'd like to help, i'm not smart nor do I have a background in such things, but I have access to the electronic interweb (i hear they have it on computers now).
                        I'll try anything twice.

Comment

If you engage the services of an Environmental Scientist it could cost over $10,000. We wont do that. I worked for an Environmental Scientist once and the survey cost $20,000,000.00, the fish part of the survey is on line, the fish part was very small. http://www.nt.gov.au/nreta/environme.../appendixj.pdf
                          The risk assessments I have submitted in the past have no fees from the Commonwealth. Don't make any suggestions, they may see fit to add on another tax.

Cheers
                          Dave

Comment

A plus for the saluwesi shrimp would be that they require specific conditions to breed in, and they might be less of a threat when considering natives. But i dont know how RSC/CRS would be allowed, and these guys not...

Comment

I don't think it would be wise to add cherries to our IRA. There's already established feral populations in Hawaii (if I remember location correctly).

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0