Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cryptocorynus
    replied
    Thanks Rebel, it's nice to be around. Unfortunately I am not as active here as I once was. Life has been pretty chaotic!

As for your question, I assume the best/only way would be similar to what Lehtonen and Falck were doing with swords. There is generally no documentation explaining the morphological differences between each plant, so what they did is get the most reliable plants they could (from the nursery of origin in that case). In the case of Anubias, thankfully Edwin Frazer documented most of the differences in his hybrids (Lorraine, Paco, Lucy, etc.) which would probably make up the bulk of hybrids in Australia. This was done for his PBR, so functions more or less(?) like the description of a species.

As for these newer/rarer imports, you would have to do the same sort of thing, but in the case of no PBR information or nursery of origin, you'd have to go to a sort of 'authority'... in my case I know a Russian guy who is heavily into Anubias. It's not ideal, but he is able to point me to "extrinsic evidence" that slowly builds a picture of what's going on. Think of it sort of like a puzzle being built over time, and each piece is a small amount of information which helps something larger come together. There will always be pieces missing so you can never be completely certain, but once you've got 80-90% of the puzzle filled in you get the general idea of what's going on.

As for DNA, Lehtonen and Falck did use it, but without a reliable source of the plant all your info based on that DNA can be flawed. Without knowing that the plant is what you think it is, really all you can do is say, "Plant A is the same as Plant B... but only I'm kind of sure that Plant A is Anubias X".
    Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 01-08-19, 08:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Rebel
    replied
    @Crypto, Great to see you around.

How does anyone definitively ID these? Is there a gold standard? Is it DNA although I cant imagine how theyd do it with a 'new' hybrid?

Leave a comment:

• Cryptocorynus
    replied
    Oh boy...

I was wrong.

A lot of recent communication and research has led me to be better informed about this complete mess... which I may be partially to blame for... Oops. Hopefully this may help a little...

Here is what I have found...

The plant I attached a photo of last year is indeed a nana x giletii but not the real "Nangi". The "real" plant is also a nana x giletii cross, but only gets to about 15cm in height. It's my understanding that "Nangi" was created by Gasser (US).

The second plant is the very large plant I posted about before. It is also a nana x giletii cross, and quite common in Europe under the name "Nangi". I believe it is from the Ukraine. My guess it that as both plants have the same parentage, this has accounted for the confusion somewhere along the line. There are a number of other hybrids between nana and giletii which Bodyagin made also, which adds to the confusion.

The third plant is the plant we seem to have here. I am guessing that this is also the plant in mass production in overseas nurseries. My Russian friend calls this nursery plant the "European nursery" form of "Nangi". It looks so far (from what I'm growing emersed, anyway) to be a large plant, similar is size so far to barteri var. barteri with a similarly lobed base.

If I find out anything else I'll be sure to update this.
    Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 29-07-19, 08:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• happyfins
    replied
    Originally posted by Cryptocorynus View Post
    Looking into buce lately I've happened upon lots of info about Anubias, as you could expect. Out of this I've found the crossing info on Anubias 'Nangi' - it is a cross between Anubias barteri var. nana and Аnubias gilletii and the plant - as well as both the pollen and seed parent - are quite different to what we have here being called 'Nangi'.

Real A. 'Nangi' is a large plant with elongated leaves.

Tissue culture plants from overseas have the rounded leaf shape like what we have here. It is very possible someone smuggled a TC cup of already misidentified plants from overseas and this is what is being TC'd here now. This is adding to what was already a deep sense of scepticism that this plant being sold here is properly identified. If you are a collector I would encourage you not to take this current identification as final. I will be working on figuring out what this plant really in in future once I have some mature emersed leaves to go off (flowers will not work for cultivars), but at the moment I don't want to rule anything out considering coming out of TC the plants we have as 'Nangi' may not be full sized.
    we should start crowdfunding you like wikipedia for all the work you do identifying.

Leave a comment:

• Cryptocorynus
    replied
    Mine initially came from Jag who got it in bulk from whichever Australian TC lab is pumping it out (so it's probably identical to your plants). The photo I just posted is not of my plant, but a photo I got from an overseas friend and aroid enthusiast from Russia (Anubias are very popular in Russia!).
    Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 03-03-18, 12:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BigDaddyAdo
    replied
    I too recently bought some tissue cultured Nangi. It looks just like Nana except the tips of the leaves are rounded.

Where did you get it from?

Leave a comment:

• Cryptocorynus
    replied
    Looking into buce lately I've happened upon lots of info about Anubias, as you could expect. Out of this I've found the crossing info on Anubias 'Nangi' - it is a cross between Anubias barteri var. nana and Аnubias gilletii and the plant - as well as both the pollen and seed parent - are quite different to what we have here being called 'Nangi'.

Real A. 'Nangi' is a large plant with elongated leaves.

Tissue culture plants from overseas have the rounded leaf shape like what we have here. It is very possible someone smuggled a TC cup of already misidentified plants from overseas and this is what is being TC'd here now. This is adding to what was already a deep sense of scepticism that this plant being sold here is properly identified. If you are a collector I would encourage you not to take this current identification as final. I will be working on figuring out what this plant really in in future once I have some mature emersed leaves to go off (flowers will not work for cultivars), but at the moment I don't want to rule anything out considering coming out of TC the plants we have as 'Nangi' may not be full sized.
    Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 03-03-18, 12:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• happyfins
    replied
    Originally posted by wee2gee View Post
    That's so cute. They seem to be making an appearance in a few places here and there! Still got more Nana :P?
    Probably, depends how much you want. PM and we'll see

Leave a comment:

• wee2gee
    replied
    Originally posted by happyfins View Post

That's so cute. They seem to be making an appearance in a few places here and there! Still got more Nana :P?

Leave a comment:

• happyfins
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Cryptocorynus
    replied
    Your plant sounds a little like one I have that was sold as Anubias 'Round Leaf'... although I believe this to be another case of mistaken identity. The leaves on this one of mine are very round and about 1-2cm across... does that sound anything like this 'Nangi' of yours?

Leave a comment:

• happyfins
    started a topic Anubias nangi

Anubias nangi

A few days back I bought a little tissue culture anubias with above description. I was drawn to it by its little round leaves. Later researching nangi it looks nothing like what I can find online. I might add a photo later but in the meantime has anybody had experience with this plant?
    Last edited by happyfins; 19-11-17, 06:59 PM. Reason: typo
Working...
X
google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0