MLPs: Questions from a Noob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLPs: Questions from a Noob

Hey AL, I have two narrow-leaved Madagascan lace plants in a CO2 tank and both are getting medium-high light, however, their growth has started to slow (last few months) and their leaves have started to brown off (last few weeks). The browning is happening all over the leaf mainly but there is some patching, with one of them being particularly affected (does this mean the substrate has too much nutrient?). They do not have much flow where they are, and I took a number of small bristlenose out of the tank soon before this started to happen (there is one small one left and the tank is 4x2x2). Even before all this started happening, though, the plants have been staying quite short at about 15-20cm (I've had them about 6 months or more) even though roots are coming out the bottom of the pots. Is this normal?

Does anyone have any idea if this browning is something more serious, or just to do with the bristlenose being taken out? How do I make them thrive? What sort of substrate do I use? Do I keep them in the highest light in the tank that I can or partially shaded? Is high flow a must? Is CO2 necessary if the leaves are laying on the surface of the water? How about algae control - bristlenose or shrimp?

There seems to be stacks of conflicting info online, so any help from the pros would be very much appreciated.
    Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 08-11-16, 04:47 PM.
    Rainbowfish, Cryptocoryne, Echinodorus

I doubt the substrate can have too many nutrients, in fact I was thinking maybe time for a bigger pot, or add some root tabs. They are hungry plants. Old leaves go brown and stick around for a long time before breaking up. I usually trim them off so they don't block the light. Growth does seem cyclical even if they don't go dormant... But FWIW my broad leaved lace plant has gone dormant at this time despite putting root tabs under it- I'm hoping it is because they are adapted for streams that dry down in summer and the main growth period is over winter.

Comment

how's the weather up there?
      i remember reading years ago that they cant tolerate heat. summer's coming...
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the reply Grubs. I was thinking that re-potting them with a fresh root tab might do the trick, too. Just wanted some clarification as a few websites say to avoid root tabs, etc.. PiL, the weather is boiling at the moment up this way (Northern NSW), but luckily I live in a well-insulated house so the outside weather doesn't effect anything too much. So far the E. opacus and the MLPs are surviving well even in 28C (due to a few back-to-back shockers lately) but am unsure how much longer I can keep temps. like this up with no ill effects as they like it around 26C or lower, I believe.

I'll be leaving the doors open tonight to give the tank a bit of a push along to get the temperature back in check. The CO2 tank that houses these plants is currently on the northern side of the house (current air temp. 22C), but plans are in place to get them onto the southern side of the house (current air temp. 20C) as I'm not sure how much longer I'll be able to get away with these sorts of temperatures...
        Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 14-11-16, 01:09 PM.

Comment

i cant remember the names, but there were a few people growing this in sydney when it was ultra rare and they all lost their plants during a scorching summer back in '09 or something like that.
          i just did a quick search and the plant prefers around 25C.

maybe run a fan across the surface of the water when it really heats up.
          sigpic

Comment

Yep, I think I've heard that same story. Good idea, by the way. I'll see if I can do something like that, and if not, the tried and tested ice method should suffice.

Comment

Working...
            X
            google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0