X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dosing NO3 have i got the correct measurements advice please

Hi Guys

i have now got some Potassium Nitrate

could someone confirm if the below calculations are correct to dose my tank its about 1000L, its a 1300L tank but with the gravel and rocks/tress immassuming its about 300L so im working on 1000L
    To reach your target of 20.0ppm NO3, you'll need to add 32.61 grams of KNO3 to 1000.0 L for:

Element ppm/degrees
    K 12.61
    N 4.52
    NO3 20.00

do i add this all at once and take measurements each day, or do i add slowly ?

regards Aron
    My 8ft in wall tank - http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showthread.php/49065-8ft-in-wall-new-tank-build

That agrees with my calculations.
    You do not add it all in one go, it depends on your water changes.
    20ppm a fortnight with 25% weekly waterchanges would work well.
    Chris -my tank

Comment

iv just been battling a BGA problem, so iv done the water change, the filter clean with tank water of course, the bga removal the powerhead change the light change. i was waiting on the Potassium to arrive which its done tonight.

i have a growing carpet of HC and peacock moss as tree foliage in my tree scape, about 20 fish.

NO3 right now is 0, iv been told to try to get it to 20ppm

so just to confirm i dose it with what tonight 32.61 grams dissolved in 500ml of tank water ?

appreciate the help and advice

regards aron
      Last edited by aronshab; 22-07-13, 06:24 PM.
      My 8ft in wall tank - http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showthread.php/49065-8ft-in-wall-new-tank-build

Comment

Neville(Aquariumtherapy) put me onto this calculator.

Bolsy

http://calc.petalphile.com/
        Last edited by bolsy; 22-07-13, 06:43 PM.
        Not all mid-life crisis involve a sports car

Comment

thanks bolsy

thats what i used
          http://tinycalc.petalphile.com/

im just confused on how i mix this 32.61g of powder to water. and how much of the solution to put in the tank and how oftern

Regards Aron

Comment

ok so i reaccelerated to this

To reach your target of 20.0ppm NO3, you'll need to add 32.61 grams of KNO3 into your 500.0 mL container.
            Each 500.0 mL of that mix into 1000.0 L is:

Element ppm/degrees
            K 12.61
            N 4.52
            NO3 20.00

is that correct ?

Comment

Yes, same as before. That is correct.
              If you wish to add the whole container tonight, you are welcome to, but i would recommend against it.
              Slowly build up the level of nitrates.

To add the KNO3 to the water, you simply weigh it out, mix it in with the water and dose 35ml a day to dose the whole 20ppm in 2 weeks.
              Chris -my tank

Comment

I got the EI measurements from somewhere in part teaspoons (It may have been the Barr Report). I just make sure the power head is on in my tank and dose the powder straight in to the tank. My tank is 4ft so i'm working in part teaspoons dosing every couple of days. Sorry i'm no help.
                Cheers Bolsy.
                Last edited by bolsy; 22-07-13, 07:12 PM.
                Not all mid-life crisis involve a sports car

Comment

Potassium Nitrate (KNO3) contains 13.9% nitrogen (N) and 38.7% potassium (K)

dry dosing potassium nitrate at the rate of 0.11g per 10l to a tank will increase the nitrogen (N) level by 1.5 ppm and the potassium (K) level by 4.3ppm.
                  adding 3 times per week levels will increase by: nitrogen (N) 4.5ppm, potassium (K) 13ppm (assuming none is used by plants)

For solution, adding 61g of potassium nitrate to 500ml of water will give a solution with:
                  1.5% N (6.7% NO3)
                  5.0% K2O (4.2% K)

Added to the tank at the rate of 1ml / 10 ltr 3 x week will add 4.5ppm N and 13 ppm K

Soure:
                  I have more sources for references from barrreport, but their forum servers seems to be down at the moment

Comment

There are two ways in which you can dose the nutrients, by making a stock solution or by adding dry using a set of standard spoons. If making solutions then this is a guide to the amounts required.

Potassium Nitrate - 40g to 500ml of water and adding 10ml per 100L of water would give you a value of 5ppm.
                    Potassium Phosphate - 15g to 500ml of water and adding 5ml per 100L of water would give you a value of 1ppm.
                    Potassium Sulphate - 55g to 500ml of water and adding 10ml per 100L of water would give you a value of 5ppm
                    Magnesium Sulphate - 70g to 500ml of water and add 50ml once a week per 100L of water - this would give a target of 7ppm.
                    Trace mix - 15g to 250ml of water will give you about the same concentration as the ‘off the shelf’ products. It is also a good idea, if you can, to add 0.5ml Normal hydrochloric acid as this helps to prevent the chelator from breaking down. Some people complain of mold growing on top of the solution - keeping it in the fridge should help prevent this and prolong it’s life.

It is possible to add the solutions into one bottle except for the trace mix as, depending on the chelator used, the iron could react with the phosphate. Generally speaking it is a good idea to make the solutions up in separate bottles until you are comfortable with the dosing.

It is preferable to make up the solutions in RO water or Deionised water, but tap water can be used if need be.

EI target ranges
                    CO2 range 20-30 ppm
                    NO3 range 5-30 ppm
                    K+ range 10-30 ppm
                    PO4 range 1.0-2.0 ppm
                    Fe 0.2-0.5ppm or higher
                    GH range 3-5 degrees ~ 50ppm or higher
                    KH range 3-5

source:

Comment

Now to reply to the question proper, would i dose all at once or over time, i would prefer overtime, because the idea behind EI is that you do not know the uptake rate of ferts by the plants, so hence you won't know if towards the end of the week you would have used up what sort of Macro Nutrients. Therefore it is safer to dose daily (macro on first, trace every other) or twice weekly.

Comment

Hi Aaron,

to reply your questions.

1) Yes dose the entire amount to get your Nitrate to 20ppm, wouldnt harm IMO. If your tank is densely planted, it will just get sucked up very quickly. Also, a relative quick fix for your BGA

2) I like to work things simple and im lazy, i do dry dosing. Simply scoop and dump the powder next to outflow. The circulation will do the job.
                        aLan

Comment

Thanks Alan i needed a simple answer LOL.

Regards Aron

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0