X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Khee
    replied
    Originally posted by Kayla View Post
    I have used fly screen and gutter guard... fly was to thin for java moss but the gutter guard was a little to big so i used two pieces and crossed them over to make smaller holes (hope you get what i mean). Java moss is the easiest moss i have ever worked with its cheap and always available, and is generally not demanding... i have never tried other mosses until now
    I use STOPP anti-slip underlay from IKEA for Java Moss, works a charm. The holes are perfectly sized in my experience so far, the plastic is inert and you can get a 2meter by 67cm roll for 8 bucks. http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/40227879/

Leave a comment:

• Kayla
    replied
    Originally posted by shark bait View Post
    Thanks guys,
    well, would have been to good with the aluminum (since I have some laying around). Stainless steel is just a big budget problem and nylon fly... sounds good, but I wanted to kind of sculpt an archway (and have trouble finding the right piece of wood).
    Is there any safe wire?
    Or what about the simple black plastic gutter guard?
    I heard of people using gutter guard mesh for moss walls.
    I have used fly screen and gutter guard... fly was to thin for java moss but the gutter guard was a little to big so i used two pieces and crossed them over to make smaller holes (hope you get what i mean). Java moss is the easiest moss i have ever worked with its cheap and always available, and is generally not demanding... i have never tried other mosses until now

Leave a comment:

• Kayla
    replied
    This is what i was looking for expect i cant see the first to experiments!
    also have you ever used glue? for moss? even for plants?

Leave a comment:

• cybernaut
    replied
    Hey Mango, what a great info!
    thanks tor sharing mate!
    German

Leave a comment:

• Justanotherkid
    replied
    I once used aluminium flyscreen for moss in my tanks, killed all of my endlers and shrimp, leaving only an unhealthy fighting fish. Always get stainless steel mesh or nylon which is what I am doing now. I think slate is also a great option too.

Leave a comment:

• Laura
    replied
    Brillian thread, thanks Forever mango!
    Just wanted to ask, do you use a particular type of thread (ie cotton or nylon). I've found with the thread I've previously used that it eventually dissintegrates. I'm new to mosses so am not sure if this is an issue or do they all attach themselves quickly to the rock / mesh / DW?

Leave a comment:

• shark bait
    replied
    I don't know about super gluing the wood, but the moss option sounds very tempting. Thank you very much about that link.
    When I try to tie things I usually get myself in a big knot... Particular since I don't like the thread look and always use some ridiculous fine sewing nylon... almost invisible in water but not so easy to work with.
    I guess the arch will happen when I stumble over the right piece of wood, but I probably change my mind and do something else before that happens anyway.
    Thanks everybody.

Leave a comment:

• Buck
    replied
    i would assume ss wire would be safe haha but you could always super glue little bits of wood in to an archway? and glue the moss on as well? theres heaps of infor about gluing moss on, could work but might not creat the look your after? just an idea

just one from a quick google search, http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=179226

Leave a comment:

• shark bait
    replied
    Thanks guys,
    well, would have been to good with the aluminum (since I have some laying around). Stainless steel is just a big budget problem and nylon fly... sounds good, but I wanted to kind of sculpt an archway (and have trouble finding the right piece of wood).
    Is there any safe wire?
    Or what about the simple black plastic gutter guard?
    I heard of people using gutter guard mesh for moss walls.

Leave a comment:

• amkr
    replied
    you can get nylon fly screen

Leave a comment:

• mr_c265
    replied
    Some people will say yes, but i will say no. Aluminium fly screen has a habit of reacting if it gets scratched or abraded, especially in the presence of Ionic compounds in the water.

Leave a comment:

• shark bait
    replied
    Hi, I have a question about the stainless steel mesh...
    Can you use aluminum fly-screen instead?
    It's black and would blend in better on dark substrate...
    Would it be safe to substitute this?

Leave a comment:

• GotCrabs
    replied
    Excellent thread mate, has helped me out a lot, am new to the game of aquarism (haha) and have wondered how the moss carpets and drift woods are done, thanks!

Leave a comment:

• gravychic
    replied
    Great ideas, thank you so much!

Leave a comment:

• bardus71
    replied
    Great thread & inspirational effort Stephen. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X
google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0