Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aquarium plant weeds or regrets

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    best cure for duckweed....

    guppies and rosy barbs.

    i dumped a huge container of duckweed into a 3ft tank and within a week or two no duckweed left.

    Comment


    • #17
      Fissiden fontanus this feral rubbish has ruined several of my favourite pieces of drift wood. Every time I put them in a tank it reappears. I've tried everything to kill it off and nothing seems to work. The wood will now be used in my bog garden.
      If it swims it's good, if it's Sahul it's better!

      Comment


      • #18
        Duckweed ! Absolute nightmare to control.

        Thankfully I've never had any trouble with riccia or u. gibba.

        Originally posted by saundo View Post
        Fissiden fontanus this feral rubbish has ruined several of my favourite pieces of drift wood. Every time I put them in a tank it reappears. I've tried everything to kill it off and nothing seems to work. The wood will now be used in my bog garden.
        Would probably make good fire wood, it's been a tad chilly in Canberra and it's only May. Minus 6 last night and tonight is looking like it could be just as chilly. It would also solve your moss 'problem'
        Last edited by MJay; 16-05-11, 01:58 AM.
        He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by 2Toned View Post
          Bolbitis! everywhere...
          Originally posted by saundo View Post
          Fissiden fontanus this feral rubbish has ruined several of my favourite pieces of drift wood. Every time I put them in a tank it reappears. I've tried everything to kill it off and nothing seems to work. The wood will now be used in my bog garden.
          Oh, cry me a river you two. You know you could just sell it on the forum and people would be grateful, and marvel at your growing skills. No appreciation!

          Now Duckweed - there's a real aquatic pest. Or broad-leaf chain sword. Try keeping that in one part of your 6ft aquarium - or out of your moss walls for that matter. Not to mention sodding algae that everyone else tells you is "pretty". Maybe I should start selling starter packs of that as marimo logs, as suggested?
          "Weeds are just plants growing in the wrong place" - Jackie French
          Gardening is just racism for plants - Amber, The Old Guys

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by DiscusEden View Post
            Not to mention sodding algae that everyone else tells you is "pretty". Maybe I should start selling starter packs of that as marimo logs, as suggested?
            And you accuse me of showing no appreciation. Many try for years to cultivate Green Brush Algae without success and you have it in abundance.
            If it swims it's good, if it's Sahul it's better!

            Comment


            • #21
              Duckweed would be my nemesis.... also I really regret using so much java moss...

              Comment


              • #22
                Really, green brush algea is desirable for some? I have two pieces of driftwood that I wish to sell that are covered in the stuff. I have no idea where the stuff came from, it justed started growing and covered the two pieces of driftwood.



                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by saundo View Post
                  And you accuse me of showing no appreciation. Many try for years to cultivate Green Brush Algae without success and you have it in abundance.
                  Send me a pm. We'll negotiate price & shipping. You can have the whole log for a decent price, or we can discuss a starter pack if you're going to be cheap about it.

                  Briz - that's not a log. This is a log:
                  Last edited by DiscusEden; 16-05-11, 09:21 AM.
                  "Weeds are just plants growing in the wrong place" - Jackie French
                  Gardening is just racism for plants - Amber, The Old Guys

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Hahahaha DiscusEden, that log looks bigger than my (3 foot) tank. I'm pretty sure I called my two pieces of green fury wood driftwood though. I have no pretentions they are logs.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Plant rage is the coolest. Thanks for making me smile today guys.

                      For my chip in, every week I get the tweezers out and try to remove the java moss from my hairgrass.. grrrr!

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by briztoon View Post
                        Hahahaha DiscusEden, that log looks bigger than my (3 foot) tank. I'm pretty sure I called my two pieces of green fury wood driftwood though. I have no pretentions they are logs.
                        Yeah, but I'm not about to run around telling people I've got wood and it's bigger than theirs. That just lacks class. It's 4 1/2 foot of mess. And Saundo's gone surprisingly quiet. And cheap.

                        I'm revelling in the joys of extracting:
                        Green Hair Brush algae from my fissidens
                        UG from my java moss
                        Hairgrass from my staurogyne
                        "Weeds are just plants growing in the wrong place" - Jackie French
                        Gardening is just racism for plants - Amber, The Old Guys

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          I get Green Hair Brush algae in my subwassaertang and just end up throwing it all away...

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            I've an established stock of Green Brush Algae of my own so I've no need of yours but I do find your logs very attractive. The important thing to remember with GBA is to keep it clean. If it gets full of snails, debris etc it looks messy but when clean it gives a nice flowing movement to the wood surface and provides shrimp with a veritable smorgasboard of tasty treats encouraging them to stay out in full view.
                            If it swims it's good, if it's Sahul it's better!

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by saundo View Post
                              I've an established stock of Green Brush Algae of my own so I've no need of yours but I do find your logs very attractive. The important thing to remember with GBA is to keep it clean. If it gets full of snails, debris etc it looks messy but when clean it gives a nice flowing movement to the wood surface and provides shrimp with a veritable smorgasboard of tasty treats encouraging them to stay out in full view.
                              Tease. I could still send you some for that duckweed you sent me?
                              As you can see, I do seem to have mastered this plant, as opposed to every other. Thankyou for your words of wisdom on cultivation though. Any on decimation would be far more appreciated. Short of nuclear weaponry, or sitting in the corner of the room rocking & crying. Which ought to have put the thread nicely back on track?
                              Last edited by DiscusEden; 16-05-11, 01:36 PM.
                              "Weeds are just plants growing in the wrong place" - Jackie French
                              Gardening is just racism for plants - Amber, The Old Guys

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X
                              google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0