Lighting advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lighting advice

Iím currently cycling a tank....itís an aqua one horizon 130L (90cm x 36cm x 42cm). Also with it, is an aqua one Eco 90cm LED light, that has 2 strips of white and one blue.

I am not new to aquarium keeping, Iíve had them in the past, but of course by no means an expert lol (I had a lovely planted tank with co2 when I lived in California)

I wish to have a low-med planted tank. Currently I have an amazon sword, a couple java fern on driftwood, an anubia on driftwood, some java moss on a rock, and some thin vals. I want to get a couple crypts, and either dwarf sag, or Pygmy chain for the foreground, and some sort of medium light red plant too. 8 also donít want it too heavily planted.

Iím just going to have a community tank...a couple schools of tetras, maybe some dwarf neon rainbows and algae eaters. Iíd like some cherry shrimp too, but still deciding.

I want to upgrade my lights to something more full spectrum in LED, but Australia is very limited on aquarium lighting! 😞. I really donít want to more than a couple hundred.

Iíve seen the aqua one tropic glo, aquaZonic, Chihiros, pet worx.

Considering what Iíve said, what lights would you suggest?

Of course on eBay there are the imports from China that are cheap and have the desired red, green, white and blue LED lights, but are they bright enough considering my tank is only 36cm deep? I wish I had a par meter! 😩

Would it be worth getting a finnex (Iíve seen lots of reviews saying theyíre pretty good). Can be very bright, but with the remote can be dimmed.

Just want advice on a great light for what plants I want to have to get them to thrive 😩

Also, at this stage Iím not going to run co2, but I really want to in the future.

Hmmm...would it be ok to just keep the current lights, and just run co2?

Please help me lol

Originally posted by kris66 View Post
    Iím currently cycling a tank....itís an aqua one horizon 130L (90cm x 36cm x 42cm). Also with it, is an aqua one Eco 90cm LED light, that has 2 strips of white and one blue.

I am not new to aquarium keeping, Iíve had them in the past, but of course by no means an expert lol (I had a lovely planted tank with co2 when I lived in California)

I wish to have a low-med planted tank. Currently I have an amazon sword, a couple java fern on driftwood, an anubia on driftwood, some java moss on a rock, and some thin vals. I want to get a couple crypts, and either dwarf sag, or Pygmy chain for the foreground, and some sort of medium light red plant too. 8 also donít want it too heavily planted.

Iím just going to have a community tank...a couple schools of tetras, maybe some dwarf neon rainbows and algae eaters. Iíd like some cherry shrimp too, but still deciding.

I want to upgrade my lights to something more full spectrum in LED, but Australia is very limited on aquarium lighting! 😞. I really donít want to more than a couple hundred.

Iíve seen the aqua one tropic glo, aquaZonic, Chihiros, pet worx.

Considering what Iíve said, what lights would you suggest?

Of course on eBay there are the imports from China that are cheap and have the desired red, green, white and blue LED lights, but are they bright enough considering my tank is only 36cm deep? I wish I had a par meter! 😩

Would it be worth getting a finnex (Iíve seen lots of reviews saying theyíre pretty good). Can be very bright, but with the remote can be dimmed.

Just want advice on a great light for what plants I want to have to get them to thrive 😩

Also, at this stage Iím not going to run co2, but I really want to in the future.

Hmmm...would it be ok to just keep the current lights, and just run co2?

Please help me lol
    I would not go cheap ebay with what you are trying to achieve. I was tossing up between chihiros A2 and Finnex and went with the former. It certainly is brighter than any other light I've ever owned without breaking the bank. It's growing the plants I want to grow but you might need more power if you want to grow reds.

Comment

I use a couple of Chihiros and have had no issue and my tank is 2ft deep.
      Whatever

Comment

Hey kris66.

I also have the same Aqua One tank I have had mine for many years now.

Chihiros will be able to grow most of the plants you want. The original A series get's great reviews. The A plus model is a bit wider that will be suitable if your tank has more depth. Chihiros has newer lights available now so i don't know about them. You can search some reviews for the newer models.

I have a Chihiros a series for a smaller tank and when i used it .. it was great.

Other light choice are more expensive but Fluval plant led 3.0 is good and get's good reviews but is quite expensive.

Comment

with a 36cm deep tank, you can use almost any light that you want. Are you wanting more colour? If you can DIY, you can easily use 5730 or 5050 RGB strips to light that tank.

I modded my Chihiros A series for better color as documented here.
          https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/...rgb-led.55743/

As mentioned any of the Chihiros are fine. I did take mine apart and water proofed the leds with conformal coating and haven't had any issues with reliability.

Comment

Working...
          X
          google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0