Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question on raising neon tetra fry (for those that have successfully done it)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on raising neon tetra fry (for those that have successfully done it)

With time on my hands, I decided to re-visit an unrealised childhood ambition and breed neon tetras.

During the summer, I successfully raised a mere half dozen fry using an outdoor bunnings tub loaded with leaf litter and rigged to received rainfall run-off.

During winter, I tried again indoors: conditioned pair, rainwater in a small tank lined with peat, some java moss and dim lighting.

First thing I noticed is that despite spawning merrily in the grow-out tank, breeding candidates will go into a sulk for a week or so after being introduced to the spawning tank.

Eventually, they spawned.

A few days later, I saw a few tiny fry: maybe several but visibility was poor with the peat and the java moss. The water was loaded with infusoria but it was like the Burma railway, every morning I could see less. This morning, I can see one.

The adults are perfectly happy with the water chemistry (rainwater, PH around 6.0, tea-coloured) and the eggs hatched. I did have to top up the tank with a couple more tea-cups of rainwater but are they THAT sensitive? I've also been guilty of using a pocket torch to see what's going on in there but I thought it was the eggs that were light sensitive and it wasn't THAT much light.
Working...
X
google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0