Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cherries with Loaches

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cherries with Loaches

    should i do it? i just got some snails i want killed and eaten and these would be the only way a single young loach would probobly solve it but im worried for my cherries
    Lorenzo,

    Keep them keen, Keep it Clean

  • #2
    Originally posted by ltvills View Post
    should i do it? i just got some snails i want killed and eaten and these would be the only way a single young loach would probobly solve it but im worried for my cherries
    What's loach for: "Num, Num, Num"?

    Your adults could be ok, but they'll take your shrimplets for sure.
    Live your life like no-one's watching!

    Comment


    • #3
      my yoyos and with the help of some rosy barbs wiped out an entire colony of cherry shrimps in a matter of a week after the shrimps went in. thats 15 dollars of shrimp and about 15 adults and 20 babies. poor shrimpies
      "You wouldnt have that problem with a V8"

      Comment


      • #4
        I once put in 2 yoyos with my CRS.
        Resulted in a massacre of decapitated shrimp.

        Comment


        • #5
          lol nom noms for mr. loachie, DON'T DO IT! remove shrimp and then do it, please!

          Comment


          • #6
            yoyos and small shrimp dont mix, cant wait to try out daves algae shrimp, will keep half in a spare tank incase the worst happens
            "You wouldnt have that problem with a V8"

            Comment


            • #7
              how bout some pygmy corries will they eat the snails u guys think
              Lorenzo,

              Keep them keen, Keep it Clean

              Comment


              • #8
                corys aren't known for eating snails, the forage for fine food in substrate.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Why not just rehome the cherries in another tank or a plastic tub with a filter etc for a few weeks while the loach takes care of your snail issue? Then remove your loach and your cherries can go back in safe and sound

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Sacrilicious View Post
                    Why not just rehome the cherries in another tank or a plastic tub with a filter etc for a few weeks while the loach takes care of your snail issue? Then remove your loach and your cherries can go back in safe and sound
                    thats what i'm going to do in a couple of weeks, take out your shrimp, place in the loach...nom nom nom....then once snails have gone take loach out and put shrimp back in

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I put a small Clown Loach in with my Cherries knowing I would lose a lot of shrimplets but no snails either.

                      Its not only the snails its all their eggs it could take several weeks to remove all of the snails.

                      Feed the Cls very sparingly make them hunt for the snails.

                      Nepean

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        If your cherry shrimp population is very well established, you could keep 1 clown with them. The clown will eat some of them, but not all - clowns prefer the snails.

                        I have a colony of 5-6 clown loaches and I raise snails specifically for them. Scoop them out of one tank and drop them in their tank. They love 'em!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by sukieblur View Post
                          If your cherry shrimp population is very well established, you could keep 1 clown with them. The clown will eat some of them, but not all - clowns prefer the snails.

                          I have a colony of 5-6 clown loaches and I raise snails specifically for them. Scoop them out of one tank and drop them in their tank. They love 'em!
                          Sound interesting
                          Aka:
                          Browncow. Mooooo moooooooo

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            hmm....i have a 4ft tank at work with 10 clown loaches ranging from about 7-10cm. And there is also a healthy population of cherries. I would say there are definitely less cherries than i would expect given the time the shrimp have had in the tank, but at the same time the population is quite stable.

                            However i should also mention there are some pretty dense patches of vegetation which probably provide a safe haven for shrimp and clown loaches are typically quite shy.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I had a happy colony of cherries in my tank with loaches. Since it was so densely planted, the cherries had places to hide and
                              were safe. They also kept the tank clean at night.
                              However, once the lionheads came in........



                              If cattle dogs are loaches and cherries are sheep, then lionheads are bloody lions.

                              Anyways, I have salvaged whatever cherries I have left and moved them into a breeder tank.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X
                              google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0