Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

goby common name, not sure of what fish it is...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• goby common name, not sure of what fish it is...

Hi there, is there a list of common names given to fish in Australia? Or could anyone list the names given to different gobies?

I ask because a store I was in the other day had a really weird/cool looking goby in the freshwater section. It didn't look like any gudgeon I've seen (so no peacock, purple spotted, carp, empire etc.) and looked more like a marine fish. I am pretty sure it wasn't a desert goby, was pretty much white/clear but had a long body.

Trouble is, the store didn't have the scientific name, and I completely forget the common name! I may have had the word box in it? I have no idea

I might have to give the store a ring when I can, but thought it worth asking, since there probably isn't that many different types for sale.

- See, I was a good boy, I didn't just buy it on impulse and ask questions later! I thought it would look cool in a smaller tank on it's own, all rockwork to make it seem like a marine tank without the fuss!

Cheers
    Thanks for coming, and don't forget to purchase some orange drink, for the long drive home! -Principal Skinner

NT Gudgeons and Gobies

Here is some from the NT. Is the name you want in there. Another place you could look is the ANGFA database. http://db.angfa.org.au

Gobies and gudgeons from the NT

ELEOTRIDAE - Gudgeons
    Bostrichthys sinensus - No common name
    Bostrichthys zonatus - Sunset Gudgeon
    Butis butis - Crimson-tipped Gudgeon
    Hypseleotris compressa - Carp Gudgeon
    Mogurnda larapintae - Desert Purple Spotted Gudgeon
    Mogurnda mogurnda - Purple Spotted Gudgeon
    Odonteleotris macrodon - Sinuous Gudgeon
    Oxeleotris aruensis - Aru Gudgeon
    Oxeleotris lineolata - Sleepy Cod
    Oxeleotris nullipora - Poreless Gudgeon
    Oxeleotris selheimi - Giant Gudgeon

GOBIIDAE - Gobies
    Chlamydogobius japalpa - Finke Goby
    Chlamydogobius ranunculus - Tadpole Goby
    Glossogobius aureus - Golden Goby
    Glossogobius giurus - Flathead Goby
    Glossogobius concavifrons - Concave Goby
    Glossogobius species 2 - Munro’s Goby
    Mugilogobius littoralis - Seep Goby
    Mugilogobius rivulus - Drain Goby
    Mugilogobius wilsoni - Wilson’s Goby
    Ophiocara porocephala - Spangled Gudgeon
    Periophthalmus argentilineatus - Silverstripe Mudskipper
    Periophthalmus novaeguineaensis - New Guinea Mudskipper
    Periophthalmus weberi - Weber’s Mudskipper
    Prionobutis microps - Small-eyed Gudgeon
    Redigobius balteatus - Rhinohorn Goby
    Redigobius bikolanus - Speckled Goby
    Redigobius chrysosma - Spot-fin Goby

Comment

Cheers Dave. I had a look right through ANGFA. So many look alike so you can't go by sight without the fish right here with me! Worth rummaging around though, so thankyou.

Perhaps the fish was dropped in by a customer or something, just using the name the customer used perhaps, since there was only one there. I can only assume it is native as well...

I will have to try calling then, interesting at least.

For anyone interested there are some fantastic photos on this site.

http://www17.tok2.com/home2/tarogoby/indexe.html

Many not native of course, it's a Japanese site, but still quite a few familiar faces

http://www17.tok2.com/home2/tarogoby...an_dormi2.html

This link here seemed the best for images, have a look at the "Pastel Gudgeon"

http://www17.tok2.com/home2/tarogoby...ukan_tope.html
      Thanks for coming, and don't forget to purchase some orange drink, for the long drive home! -Principal Skinner

Comment

Well, turns out I won't have to worry. I was hoping to add this goby, whatever it turned out to be, or possibly a pair of desert goby, but today my girlfriend handed a pair of fish for me to keep in the spare tank I had ready to go.

Turns out she added a pair of bumblebee gobies to one of her betta tanks, and they took bites of the fish's tail (which she hadn't read about in the literature she checked before buying them) so now I have them, as all her tanks have a betta. I'm happy, since even after looking at all these related fish I never gave these guys a thought before.

Comment

Working...
        X
        google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0