Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Affordable L number pleco?

Looking to set up my tank soon, and would love to have a fancy pleco - l046
    Looking for something that sells for under $100 for juvies, and looking for something that is not too delicate and stays under 4 inches. What do you recommend?

My next L purchase under $100 will probably be L397

Comment

Very cute! How big do those get and where do I get one?

Comment

Yep, they're great fish alright. I've got a pair that are looking like they're going to spawn very shortly.

Got to admit I'm partial towards the L046 and having just missed out on an adult pair at $1600 I'll keep an eye out for another. Whether that is affordable is another story but they're great fish.

We're keeping L134s also, and have to admit they're one of my favourites. Cute little guys and once they're used to a new environment and you can become quite friendly. I'm still working on that having just relocated 11 into a 60 x 18 x 18 inch tank. Another couple of months and I'm hoping to be able to watch these guys constantly. Don't really like looking at an empty tank

- KiwiBigD
        sigpic

Comment

Most people dream of owning Zebra's but i recommand to step up to them with experiance.
          Have you kept any catfish yet?
          If not start with the basic than step up.BN's or peppermints but they get bigger than 4 inchs.
          Do some study than make a reasoned choice with what will be right for you ie:- do you have live food access,does it eat plants? Will it be on show/hide etc
          If your kept catfish i would try L201 next closest on size in that budget, L134 if you can get for that budget?
          Next size up L169 but 5 inch in budget range?, L002 5inch in range.

Comment

L168s are also affordable. Would have to agree with littlebristlenose, step up or go to the extreme and supply large tanks so you can compensate if needbe. I'm keeping various BNs and they all have their requirements. Albinos, Commons and Calicos are generally easier to keep, pretty friendly and won't destroy their tank mates. Something to bear in mind.

And Zebras are towards the higher end, they're definitely more popular but the price they demand is scary, plus Australia has a pretty restricted gene pool from what I've seen. Not something you want to take on and then lose :-(
            sigpic

Comment

168 is more than 10 cm when they are adult. You mean L052 maybe?
              The person who sold the 46 for 1600 is actually AL member too.

Kiwi, got any L juvies that you want to sell to me cheap

Comment

Can't go wrong with a few L202s.
                They where the first Ls I ever got and they are soo cool.
                Mine are also not shy at all which is a problem with others like l333s.

Comment

my L333 aint shy at all. neither is my $12.50 L168
                  5 Oscars and a common Pleco

Comment

L333 is a nice fish and definitely affordable. Quite pretty and they do develop character. I'm actually just about to put up a 5cm one shortly as I don't have the tank space for them. I'm concentrating on my L134s and the Albino's presently.

If anybody looking for one let me know

- KiwiBigD
                    sigpic

Comment

if you can buy $1600 for adult zebra pair let me know i'll buy 2 pair. nowdays cheapest is going around $800 3cm
                      normally over $1k now.
                      I did bred 169,397 etc have heaps of babies and hope more to come on other L's and trying.

Comment

any advise griffin, for a poor sob like me who is trying his hardest to trigger his L104s to spawn? iv tried nearly everything possible (i think), thinking maybe the females are still too young not sure...
                        Stuck in Adelaide where L's are hard to come by

Comment

Originally posted by KiwiBigD View Post
                          Yep, they're great fish alright. I've got a pair that are looking like they're going to spawn very shortly.

- KiwiBigD
                          keep us posted if they spawn for you, the 397's are on my wish list

Comment

I'll let you know how they go. I was lucky getting these, very lucky.

And the L046's at $1600 for the pair were actually up on Petlink, the seller didn't know what he had I think. If I'd had the money I'd have paid $4000 quite happily for them. Presently you can pickup a 3.5cm unsexed L046 for about $850 but thing people need to remember is you need genetic diversity. The gene pool in Oz is pretty small so if you can grab fish from different breeders, it'll reduce your chances of deformed fish, and nobody wants that at all.

- KiwiBigD
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Psyfish View Post
                              Looking to set up my tank soon, and would love to have a fancy pleco - l046
                              Looking for something that sells for under $100 for juvies, and looking for something that is not too delicate and stays under 4 inches. What do you recommend?
                              buying private you would expect these prices
                              L104 panaque maccus sell for about $40-$50 for 3-4cm
                              L169 around $50ea 3-4cm
                              L397 around $60-$70 3-4cm
                              L333 around $60 3cm

whatever you decide to get, research them, as some have different needs to others http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog...de=l&thumbs=16 is a good place to start. They are very cool fish and very addictive

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0