Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable Evaporative Cooling for Summer

Hey guys,

I have a Taiwan Bee Shrimp tank and am concerned about the heat of the upcoming summer. Iíve looked into various cooling options but most seem inefficient or too expensive.

What is everyoneís thoughts on a product like this?

https://www.dicksmith.com.au/da/buy/...yABEgJQNvD_BwE

The tank is in a very small room (about 10 square meters) so was wondering if such a product would be effective in summer.

Let me know your thoughts!

Louis

Not a chance in hell of this working. Its a tiny toy cooler that doesn't contain enough water to cool any significant volume of air. Also, evaporative cooling in an enclosed space doesn't work because as the water evaporates into the air the humidity increases and eventually the room is at 100% humidity and the water wont evaporate any more so no cooling. A $5 fan blowing across the top of the tank will evaporate more water (and therefore cool the water more) than this thing will. IMO save your money to buy a small aquarium chiller.

Comment

Originally posted by Grubs View Post
      Not a chance in hell of this working. Its a tiny toy cooler that doesn't contain enough water to cool any significant volume of air. Also, evaporative cooling in an enclosed space doesn't work because as the water evaporates into the air the humidity increases and eventually the room is at 100% humidity and the water wont evaporate any more so no cooling. A $5 fan blowing across the top of the tank will evaporate more water (and therefore cool the water more) than this thing will. IMO save your money to buy a small aquarium chiller.

Fair enough. Any recommendations for chillers? Preferably cheap and energy efficient. The tank is only 40l

Comment

I reckon a fan still may not work given tiny room. In fact no cooler will work there unless you are ducting the heated air out.

Insulate or move your shrimp out.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel View Post
          I reckon a fan still may not work given tiny room. In fact no cooler will work there unless you are ducting the heated air out.

Insulate or move your shrimp out.

Well there is a door which can be opened and a large window. Surely it will be ok if these are left open?

Comment

It depends on
            1. Whether window lets in hot or cold air.
            2. Temp of adjoining room where door connects.
            3. Required temp of tank ( I assume 21).
            4. Ambient temp of room, and outside that window.
            5. Status of insulation of that room.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel View Post
              It depends on
              1. Whether window lets in hot or cold air.
              2. Temp of adjoining room where door connects.
              3. Required temp of tank ( I assume 21).
              4. Ambient temp of room, and outside that window.
              5. Status of insulation of that room.
              1. Window letís in hot air from outside
              2. Adjoining room is generally cool but can be a bit stuffy as well (depends on whether the main air conditioner is on)
              3. Required temp 23 is current and shrimp are happy, 25 or 26 would be max.
              4. Ambient Temp of that room is quite hot and stuffy as it is outside in Adelaide summer. In the colder months now, it stays cool just fine.
              5. No idea

Comment

Without knowing ambient in the room when it's at a max, it will be tricky to be sure.

Can you insulate the tank from all sides apart from top? [Use polystyrene with a tight seal] If so, you could use a fan unless humidity in the room is high. I once kept a small polystyrene container at 21 just with a fan while the room was nearly 38 for days. However humidity was very low and evaporation was at least 2L per day in a 20L container.

Comment

Ive seen small 2nd hand aquarium chillers go for ~$250 on ebay but certainly not common and stalking the bargains takes a bit of effort. Given stable conditions over summer you might breed enough shrimp to cover part of the cost.
                  Last edited by Grubs; 08-09-19, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Ive seen small 2nd hand aquarium chillers go for ~$250 on ebay but certainly not common and stalking the bargains takes a bit of effort. Given stable conditions over summer you might breed enough shrimp to cover part of the cost.
                    Grubs, woukd it work though if it was in a very stuffy room. Could it remove the heat from the tank faster than it acquires it ...?

Comment

There's no way this is going to work. It's a little toy cooler with insufficient water to chill a substantial amount of air. Also, evaporative cooling in an enclosed area does not function because as the water evaporates into the air, the humidity rises until the room reaches 100% humidity, at which point the water will no longer evaporate and no cooling will occur. This device will evaporate more water (and hence chill the water) than a $5 fan blowing across the top of the tank. Save your money and purchase a modest aquarium chiller, in my opinion.
                      Yupe, You are saying right.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0