show us your ponds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• show us your ponds

so i thought it would be interesting to have a look at people's ponds that they have built. here are my two.
    the first borders one of our bali huts and is about 4-5 metres long and about a metre wide with a depth of 60cm. sitting back in the bali hut with the sound of water is wonderful. this pond has lots of different types of gold fish, platties, mollies, guppies, corydoras, bristle noses and two featherfin catfish, oh and cherry shrimp. when i discovered shrimp, my fish tank inhabitants migrated to this pond. its heated so they survive through winter. the water is filtered through a large plastic box i bought from crazy clarks, drilled holes in the outside, put the pump which leads to the wine barrel and surrounded with wadding from spotlight.
    IMG_1979.jpg i was hoping that this one would attract frogs but alas, two years on and not a frog in sight...sigh
    IMG_1980.jpgmy other pond was built when i was experimenting with aquaponics. the top side was covered in bamboo which had holes drilled into it and filled with various veges. the roots grew down through the holes into the water. now the top half is filled with rcs and the bottom half has black moscows.....though periodically i keep finding one large moscow in the top.....i think she thinks she is a salmon because i dont think there is any way she can swim through the pump as it is another large plastic box as described above. can moscows jump????? anyway i also have this filled with little tubs of up aqua soil and lots of stem plants from when i do cuttings from my tank.

so people, please post pics of your ponds!!!!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ashlum; 31-12-11, 06:47 AM.
    No matter what happens in life, I can always choose to laugh....

Try adding a few reeds or something the frogs can get shelter in the water. It seems a bit open for frogs. ALso some native ginger around the edge of the ponds also attract frogs.

Comment

thanks gillsy, i had some gingers in but alas, they require watering, doh new i forgot something. and they died. shall get some more. thanks
      No matter what happens in life, I can always choose to laugh....

Comment

coming home to that. no stress!

Comment

Great pond
          love the banana
          Vivarium
          http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...ight=xylos+viv
          Moss
          http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...ube?highlight=

Comment

they look good, what did you make them out of? i really like the one near the hut.

Comment

IMG_1979.jpg i was hoping that this one would attract frogs but alas, two years on and not a frog in sight...sigh
              Me and my kids are currently sitting out the back of my place been raining all day but I've honestly got a couple hundred Lil baby green tree frogs I'll try to get done decent photos...

Comment

A japanese pond is my goal in the future just like that, with slate surrounds and a nice lounge area.

So peaceful, but yes the toads are a problem in qld.

I got around this in the past by putting a timber fence 1 ft high surrounding the pond (they can't jump very high)

Comment

Awesome setup Ashlum, love outdoor lounge areas and I couldn't think of a better view.... now if only I could do something like that with my pool...

Comment

Really beautiful set ups - I'm inspired especially as I've been trying to figure out a way of doing aquaponics in ponds so that it doesn't look like formal aquaponics! I only have a small pond but will go home & take a pic to post!

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0