No announcement yet.

My natives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah the barra is cool for now but I will probably have him on his own one day, quite a nice interactive fish. The murray cod fingerlings are all living on their own, the sleepy and the barra would have smashed them straight away.
    Its funny, the scats rule the roost but without any real aggression.
    One of my cod fingerlings has become unbelievably friendly, they are usually so reclusive at this size, this one though follows me up and down the tank when I walk past, ill try and grab a photo of the little bugger.

Comment

Hi all,

Its been a while so i thought id throw some more pics up.

Mangrove Jack

Barra

Murray Cod

Tandanus

Comment

Desert Gobies, Empire Gudgeons and Blue Eyes

Ill post up some better pics soon.
        Last edited by murrayman85; 06-09-14, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Love your fish!
          Jacks also happen to be one of my favourite eating fish
          Put up a pretty good fight as well.
          I have been tempted to add one to one of my ponds (we often catch baby jacks, barra etc when throwing a cast net for bait) They would make short work of the platys
          They can also become quite responsive to you, but watch out for the fingers as they have seriously sharp teeth as you would know!
          In the wild, barra tend to be lazy hunters - they wait for the food to come past them & launch themselves at it.
          Jacks tend to actively patrol - I've watched them on a high tide working right up into the mangroves chasing bait fish.
          Ern Grant (Author of 'Grant's Guide to Fishes') has described them as "...A violent ruffian; a thug; a hooligan; a close associate of terrorists." - this being due to the fact that they lie motionless in the boat after being caught, until, when you least expect it, they erupt violently, snapping & flapping & don't care as to what they latch onto.
          I personally prefer them to barra

Comment

Love the Aussie natives!
            That Mangrove Jack is something special!
            Years ago I had Barra, Salmon cats, Archers, Scats and Gulf Saratoga all living happy together until I ran out of money for feeder fish (i was a poor student)
            Needless to say the Barra ate my Saratoga (same length fish mind you) , it was the most expensive meal anyone in my family had ever enjoyed!!

Comment

Coolwall,

You are spot on with the differences with hunting techniques between the two.
              My Murray Cod, Barra and Mangrove jack are all great predators and are all very different the way they go about it.
              The barra is pretty clever though. If he cant catch something he will ignore it for days, letting it get confident that it is no longer a target. Once it lets its guard down he strikes!!! Smart fish, the 'ol barra.
              Cod seem to be pretty dumb hunters, just waiting for something to swim past that can be grabbed close to their snag.
              The Jack, as you suggested, is more active, aggressive and persistent.

DTB,

I'm surprised the 'toga didnt give the barra a hiding. I guess its tough when a fish with a mouth as big as a barra's swallows you pretty much whole though.
              Im chasing some Salmontails at the moment. I really like them. Should look good with my barra, sleepy cod and barcoo grunter (When it gets a little more size to it).
              Jacks are special fish, the thing i dont like about them, is they are too interactive. My other fish just get on with life doing their own thing, the jack begs for food and pretty much acts like a malawi cichlid when im near the tank. I like watching fish just being fish rather than being pampered pets if that makes sense.

Comment

A pic of my barra.

Barcoo Grunter

Desert Goby
                Last edited by murrayman85; 20-10-14, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Bullrout - Sorry bout the crappy pic, ill try and upload some better ones soon

Comment

Comment

I still can't work out if I'm more impressed by your fish or your ability to take great pics!
                      Thanks for posting these, very much appreciated.
                      "Weeds are just plants growing in the wrong place" - Jackie French
                      Gardening is just racism for plants - Amber, The Old Guys

Comment

Cheers, much appreciated. If there is anything good about the pics its just great fish and a measure of luck because i consider myself hopeless with a camera.
                        Anyway, I keep posting them because hopefully they show at least a glimpse of how great natives are and encourage others to try out a native tank.

One last pic of my bullrout... Its a shame about the dirty glass :-(

Comment

Lovely to see big natives.

Comment

These fish are wicked, probably my favourite collection of natives on the internet!

Comment

Thanks guysl

So much time and effort tracking these fish down over the last couple years. Its nice to see that others appreciate them as much as I do.

Comment

Love your collection! I keep the smaller native (& PNG) rainbows and blue eyes myself. Keeping large volumes of water up to temperature is rather expensive in the mountains. The Bullrout would have to be my favourite. Ugly and mean, a no nonsense kind of fish. Kinda reminds me of a moderator I know. ;P
                                If it swims it's good, if it's Sahul it's better!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0