I have succumbed - advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have succumbed - advice needed

OK, finally doing what I wanted to originally do 6yrs ago. I am setting up a Rainbow tank. I have just about cleared out my 4ft and will rearrange and replant today, keeping the same substrate and 2 x canister filters. I was thinking of getting the following fish, but am concerned about 2 issues (see below):

6 x Bosmanii rainbows (2 female, 4 male)
    6 x Banded rainbows (2 female, 4 male)
    A school of about 12 threadfin rainbows
    Also going to dump some shrimp in there to breed up and provide food (will be heavily planted with swimming space in centre), and my native eel-tailed cat.

Concerns -
    Are the smaller Threadfins going to be harrassed or eaten by the larger species?
    A lot of info about species cross-breeding, is this a possibility with my 2 larger species? I would prefer to keep the breeds true.

I have been researching these guys but haven't found the info I need as yet. Tried downloading Adrian Tappins' book, but can't seem to do that! Grrrr.
    12 tanks of various sizes, trying to cut back. MTS Anonymous Member - down to 7 now

The threadies may have a hard time competing with the big boistrous rainbow.They have very small mouths so you need very small food.I had mine threadies years back with larger NG rainbows Rhads and some cichlid and they did fine although I put BBS a few times a week to make sure they got something.They are tougher than they look.

The bigger rainbow will definitely cross breed so dont collect eggs.What locality are your Trifasciata??

Comment

Only have 1 x madagascan rainbow in my 5ft and 1 x unknown that I had in the 4ft. Wanted to do my research first. I may just keep the bosmanii and the threadfins then.
      12 tanks of various sizes, trying to cut back. MTS Anonymous Member - down to 7 now

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Dragon View Post
        Only have 1 x madagascan rainbow in my 5ft and 1 x unknown that I had in the 4ft. Wanted to do my research first. I may just keep the bosmanii and the threadfins then.
        No, you will find that your threadfins will not thrive in such a tank and will slowly wither away. I recommend if you want to have threadfins that you keep then in a species only tank, or you keep them with much smaller fish such as spotted blue eyes (P. gertrudae) or Delicate blue-eyes (P. tenellus).

Pretty much everybody I know who have keep I.werneri successfully long term keep them in a species only tank (or tanks as the case may be).

Other than werneri, Rainbows are ok to be kept in mixed species groups. Although in the wild different species tend to prefer different aquatic conditions and not mix (although exceptions abound).

Ta
        Graeme

Comment

canninghill-piers-Logo-singapore-1. SHOWFLAT ... canninghill-piers-developer-​CDL-Capitaland-singapore. Developer: ... [email protected]. Canninghill Piers Showflat

Comment

Thanks for Nice and Informative Post. This article is really contains lot more information about This Topic. electrical home appliance repair service

Comment

Working...
            X
            google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0