Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gudgeon ID please

Hi folks,

Picked up this lovely big gudgeon for my native display. He/she was sold as a Snakehead Gudgeon (Ophieleotris aporos), but I am leaning more towards Spangled Gudgeon (Ophiocara porocephala).

He/she is about 21 cm total length.
    Any opinions?

Cheers,
    Nige

Last edited by SOLOMON; 30-09-10, 09:01 AM. Reason: there you go :D you were using the thread URL rather than the pic URL - Solomon
    Cheers,
    Nige

Fishless, with just a 3ft running to keep my Anubias plants alive... (I shall return...)

With out seeing pics, a spangled gudgeon is a greenish colour with white spots and yellow fin edges and a snake Head is all sorts of variations of a mottled pattern basically. Snake Heads are different creek to creek, from red ones to ones with a Koi like pattern and all in between.

Bob

Comment

I'm interested to see this pic, keep trying. You don't see spangled gudgeons too often, I remember Leo saying this is one of his most wanted fish.

Comment

All fixed , like I said in the edit you need the URL of the picture not the thread (I just right clicked the photo for properties then copied the URL generated there)

Comment

Certainly looks like a Spangled to me. Nice find.
          If it swims it's good, if it's Sahul it's better!

Comment

Originally posted by saundo View Post
            Certainly looks like a Spangled to me. Nice find.
            What he said x2

Comment

Thank-you soooo much Solomon for sorting this for me. I am quite the techno-phobe as you can see

Anyway, it certainly looks more like a Spangled to me than any Snakehead I've ever seen (photos and living critters). This is the first inhabitant of my newly re-furbished 8x2x2 native themed tank (albeit with feral plants, Anubias nana and Microsorum pteropus 'Windelov'). In a few weeks I hope to complete the stocking, with a group of barred grunter (Amniataba percoides). Once it's complete, I'll post a full tank photo and perhaps a link to some video if anyone is interested.

Cheers, and thanks again for sorting those images

Nige
              Cheers,
              Nige

Fishless, with just a 3ft running to keep my Anubias plants alive... (I shall return...)

Comment

Nice Spangled Gudgeon Nige.

Bob

Comment

Cheers Bob,

I am heading off to Darwin Friday morning for 3 weeks work, so may not get to check the site often. Will be having withdrawal symptoms by the time I get home

Thanks for the ID confirmation... it was just as I suspected
                  Cheers,
                  Nige

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0