20 litre/5 gallon nano tank adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 litre/5 gallon nano tank adventure

Decided to take the dive into marine tanks a few weeks ago so thought I'd start off small as this hobby is expensive lol
    Had an old aqua one 20 litre tank lying around with a white and blue LED and heater so turned it into a nano reef.
    Atm I'm doing 2 WC's a week every 3-4 days, around 4 litres each time.
    Its been setup for approx 4 weeks now and every thing seems to be doing really well, been getting my water tested weekly at my local aquarium also just to be on the safe side. Only thing that has been concerning me is the temp does fluctuate from 24 to 27.5 on the hot days even with the air con on but everything still seems ok.

I bought live rock which had been sitting at my local for quite a few weeks so the tank cycled in about 3 days. It also came with a heap of hitch hikers, feather dusters, a little crab (which from research might be one of the good ones i hope lol), HEAPS of amphipods, a few tiny little shrimp and some worms etc. They seem to be multiplying lol
    After 3 days of setting it up I slowly started introducing coral and am now finished stocking, I bought 2 Rainfordi Gobys and a turbo snail yesterday, they also look pretty happy and from what Ive read its apparently not good to put more than one in a small tank because they fight? but these 2 are swimming everywhere together so maybe I got lucky and got a pair?

I'm completely finished stocking the tank now so its time to sit back and watch my little eco system grow

Tank just has an aquatopia hang on filter with a 250L/H flow rate on the back (pretty much gutted and replaced with a little ceramic media in it)
    and an eheim compact 300L/H aquarium pump as well.
    I put in .80 of a ML of continuum KH Buffer twice a week with water changes and also feed my corals just over half a ML of continuum ocean snow twice a week randomly just before lights out. Gobys get a tiny mix of either marine pellets or frozen food (they like the marine pellets better) I use a little syringe thingy to squirt the liquids/food directly into the pump so its dispersed all over the tank.

So far so good, let me know what you think, any tips and or constructive critism is welcome
    P.S. Sorry about the photo quality, taken on the iphone lol

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Impressive looking Aquarium mate! You have inspired me to start up a marine setup.....cheers

Comment

Very nice, I really like these nano marine setups.

Comment

Originally posted by HBH View Post
        Impressive looking Aquarium mate! You have inspired me to start up a marine setup.....cheers
        Haha thanks mate! You won't go back to freshwater once you do! So much cooler and interesting!

Comment

Originally posted by jimstreet View Post
          Very nice, I really like these nano marine setups.
          Thankyou!

Comment

this really awesome, you tempted me to try a marine setup.

Comment

Awesome tank mate.. Just one question.. don't you need a protein skimmer ?

Comment

Originally posted by podilamaya View Post
                this really awesome, you tempted me to try a marine setup.
                Thanks! Do it! They are awesome lol

Comment

Originally posted by hotwire View Post
                  Awesome tank mate.. Just one question.. don't you need a protein skimmer ?
                  Guys at my local reckon as its only a 20 litre tank there's no need. Just gotta stay on top of my water changes

Comment

@ Tommy1

What is the total cost so far, if you are happy to share it

Comment

awww looks awesome! perfect for a bedroom

I want one now lol.. you've done a great job i think

Comment

Originally posted by podilamaya View Post
                        @ Tommy1

What is the total cost so far, if you are happy to share it
                        I already had the tank, light and heater.

Hang on back filter was $30
                        Eheim pump was $40
                        The two gobys were $60
                        Corals all up were about $250 ish?
                        Then like $5 a drum for salt water which I'll probably only have to get refilled monthly or something lol
                        So whole setup has cost me around $400 Ish?
                        I can't remeber how much the live rock was but it wasn't much.

It's now completed too. I'll just have to trim things back once/if they get too big, but I made sure most of the stuff I bought is slow growing and have been told it won't grow too quickly anyway due to the size of the tank, and with the lack of nutrients they would have in there compared to a bigger tank. Dude at my local aquarium reckon I should be good for atleast 12 months before I have to think about taking things out etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat_C View Post
                          awww looks awesome! perfect for a bedroom

I want one now lol.. you've done a great job i think
                          Thanks mate! Yeah it sits on my bedside table! Fun to look at just before you go to sleep!

Comment

Sweet tank. Im very jealous maybe time for me to start negotiations for tank number 2. Any more pics?

Comment

Originally posted by Piggy View Post
                              Sweet tank. Im very jealous maybe time for me to start negotiations for tank number 2. Any more pics?
                              Here's one I took yesterday. It was before I cleaned the tank and the glass lol I'll put a better one up when I have time. I took a quick pic because I just put in a new fish, a royal dotty back. Unfortunately I lost my gobys One got sucked up through my pump and the other mysteriously dissappeared lol
                              There's a few new bits and pieces of coral in there now as well!

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0