No announcement yet.

1300L Sumped Marine Aquarium Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not intending to thread hijack but so can you consistently get tds 10 water in Perth? What's the variation you guys get?

I feel lucky as it would be a nightmare to have big swings in water quality.

I went through the water website carefully and I can tell you, the water quality reports were NOT easily find. NOR were their phone number to call and ask for the info.

Back to you OP.

Originally posted by Graeme View Post
    Perth water is sourced from mnay different areas and means.
    Gnangara mound, dams and also desel plants. So the water you get today in some areas can be very different tomorrow depending on what "mix" you may get.

My local water is pretty stable as most of the northern suburbs use Gnangara mound water

There is a way to find out from the Water Authority ( but I cant find the original email sorry )

Graeme

Comment

i did ask for the NON UV version of my filter as i never needed it the lfs where i got it from runs a UV version on a 8ft
      i have had 1 fish die from disease in over 2 yrs ( not sure what it was )and never had UV
      and no quarantine tanks either LOL
      i think it is due to keeping the water clean with good filtration and good food helps keeps the fish healthy

although im going to need to find some peat moss to help drop the ph more naturally in this bigger tank as im over using chems to buffer it down

Originally posted by Graeme View Post
      Perth water is sourced from mnay different areas and means.
      Gnangara mound, dams and also desel plants. So the water you get today in some areas can be very different tomorrow depending on what "mix" you may get.

My local water is pretty stable as most of the northern suburbs use Gnangara mound water

There is a way to find out from the Water Authority ( but I cant find the original email sorry )

Graeme

ill see what my sister can dig up for us, she works for one of the execs at water corp

i hoping to drop water changes to 40% every 3 weeks now with the bigger tank ( used be %50 every 2 weeks on the 400 liter )
      Last edited by disco frank; 08-05-14, 06:16 PM.
      my 6 x 2 x 2.5

http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showthread.php/57768-Disco-s-new-6-x-2-x-2-5

Comment

Unfortunately TDS is a bit of misnomer here because it is really a measure of conductivity in water and guess what – water from different locations has different salts and salt ratios, depending on what minerals and organics the water has contacted.
        So I guess it is my fault for using the reference. I probably should of stated that the GH and KH values need to be lifted.

As Graeme says we have a wide range of water qualities in Perth and unfortunately the mineral content of our water is simply NOT close to that of Malawi water.
        We seem to have more Sodium (Na) and Potassium (K) salts rather than the Calcium (Ca) and Magnesium (Mg) salts found in Malawi water.
        I live in Tapping, GH (Ca + Mg) is usually about 80ppm (4. 8 DH today – just checked) it needs to be raised to at least ~180ppm (10 DH) with a 2:1 (Ca:Mg) ratio.
        Likewise the Carbonates, KH (CO3 + HCO3), are usually low (~100ppm) ie: low buffering capacity, so the Rift Lake Salt which is mostly CaHCO3, CaCO3 and MgCO3, also lifts the KH to about right (our water goes to about 10 DH after adding the salt at 17g per 100L).
        So I guess the main differences between Perth Tap water and Malawi Lake water is the type of minerals and their ratios. Total Salt values are not much of an issue but the hardness values certainly are not sufficient in Perth’s water.
        Long and short of it is that the GH and KH need to be closer to the correct levels and Rift Lake Salt is what you use to get there. You can use Epson Salts and Calcium BiCarbonate / Carbonates but you need to calculate the 2:1 Ca/Mg ratios.
        Last edited by GoTroppo; 18-05-14, 01:37 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Comment

watch this build, got to be nice

Comment

Sorry guys but sold all the 1300L model V5-R200 aquariums including the build unit and won't be getting any more until the end of January 2015.
            I have a slightly bigger unit (1900L) 2.2m x 90cm x 100cm (7'2" x 3' x 3'3") in stock and hope to get time in January to take up with that unit or wait till late February when I have a bigger RGL unit (2300L) 2.53m x 88cm x 110cm coming in.
            Largish marine setups can get expensive so might as well go a reasonable size from the get-go. With marine, the more water in the system the more stable the system.
            Will post again once I get whatever I decide to be it - up to plumbing and electronics.

Comment

Complete ?

Hey did you ever finish this project ???

Originally posted by GoTroppo View Post
              Sorry guys but I may have to put this build on hold for now as I have a customer who wants to buy this unit (it is now the last in stock).
              I only had 8 of these aquariums in stock and I think partly due to this post people have become aware of them and simply bought all of my stock.
              It will be about 10wks before new stock arrives so will continue the build when it arrives.

Comment

Working...
              X
              google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0