Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up my first marine tank

Hey all,

I am setting up my first marine aquarium.

Tank size is 18 inch cube with built in filter, three chambers, first one is protein skimmer, second one is filter media, the third one is returned pump and heater. Bought some sand and live rock to set up. Want to keep some fish and corals in the future. For fish, I will definitely get clown fish, may be 2, so what other fish can I have? And how many? Also what should I keep to clean the tank? Last, can u list the some corals that is easy going and suitable for my aquarium? Many thanks

hey mate, marine isn't as big on this forum but there is a few reefers around

Firstly - The filter media, what type do you have? Things like filter wool, sponges ,etc can be nitrate factories which will cause you algae and general issues with your corals.

Try to place your rock in the tank first (onto some egg crate is a good idea) and then the sand goes around the rock. This will help prevent movement of your rocks incase fish dig. If your live rock structure is not stable, you may need to epoxy it together. Fish like sand sifters can be prone to digging up sand around rocks which can cause the structure to move/fall which is a big risk to crack your tank.

Fish wise - You are okay to go with a pair of clowns (pick 1 larger and 1 smaller in size to get a male/female pair). You can also get quite a few types of fish. Some nice beginner fish are things like Cardinal Fish and Gobies. Just make sure to do your research on them first for tank size, hardyness, etc

Coral wise - depend heavily on the light and flow in your tank but most of the Soft Corals are beginner friendly and are probably your best bet to start with. Things like Green Star Polyps, Finger Corals, Leather coral, etc etc. Can you list what type of lighting you have on the tank? You may need to grab a small-ish power head to go in your tank to make some water movement for corals depending on your current setup.
    "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

Comment

Hey indir

Thanks for your prompt reply. For filter media, I have sponge and noodle, so what is the best media for marine aquarium. I cannot remember the light specification, it is a led one and have been told it is good one. Forgot to ask do I really need heater for the tank? And at what temp?

Comment

Was your tank bought as an all in one ready to go tank?

Personally I would replace the sponge and the noodle with something like marine pure or similar to that. Or even remove it all together and use a refugium with macro algae in the middle section instead. The filter media will work but it will eventually start being the cause of nitrates and you'll end up having to replace it anyway.

Heater depends on where you are at in. Melbourne is all over the place weather wise Hehe. Shoot for around 25 degrees for a general reef tank. At high temps you'll start having corals die off ,etc. (28+ will cause issues), so you MAY need a chiller too.
        "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

Comment

Originally posted by aussiecrocodile View Post
          Hey all,

I am setting up my first marine aquarium.

Tank size is 18 inch cube with built in filter, three chambers, first one is protein skimmer, second one is filter media, the third one is returned pump and heater. Bought some sand and live rock to set up. Want to keep some fish and corals in the future. For fish, I will definitely get clown fish, may be 2, so what other fish can I have? And how many? Also what should I keep to clean the tank? Last, can u list the some corals that is easy going and suitable for my aquarium? Many thanks
          Hi Aussiecrocodile,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations with the first tank!
          How is the set up going?

I recommend chromis to put together with clown fish. It is cheap and easy take care of it

Zhenya

Comment

Without a chiller the range of suitable corals is very small. That said as long as you keep up the water changes it should be a rather easy aquarium long term

Comment

Welcome to the dark side, your wallet will never have been so light

For a tank that size you dont need anything too fancy. In my 18 inch cube i have 1-3cm sand, 15kg live rock, small tunze powerhead and a heater ( i do have a Mame air-stone skimmer but i dont think it does much) and keep mainly Hammers, goniopora and an elegance.

I do ~15l water change every 1 to 2 weeks.

I haven't had too many problems not having a chiller in Melbourne. It takes a fair bit of time for the 90l of water to heat up significantly so you need a few days in a row to be 30+. I just switch on the aircon if for the few days its creeping up.

As for fish, you will need a cover, most reef fish will jump from a small tank.

I just updated a photo of my tank here:
              http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...639#post577639

Comment

Comment

thanks all, i think i will change the media to marinepure, do i still need to put any sponge for mechanical filter?

also, for skimmer, does skimmer all stay in the water or half?

Comment

also, anyone can advise some easy going corals?

i know the marine aquarium is very costly, so start to do more reseach

Comment

You can add filter wool or sponge if you like, just make sure to change it out (or clean it) often to prevent any build up of mulm, etc.

See this for some starting corals
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qB9AHAxp44

Comment

This guy also gives some good advice.

Pay attention #2.

Comment

Originally posted by aussiecrocodile View Post
                          also, anyone can advise some easy going corals?

i know the marine aquarium is very costly, so start to do more reseach
                          What about leather, mushrooms or zoas?

Zhenya

Comment

hey Indir,

i found an seller on ebay selling the marinepure, can you help to have a look, if this is the one you mentioned.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/391693273...%3AIT#shpCntId

thanks very much.

joe

Comment

Hey guys

I am about to start to fill the tank with water, so do I need to use ro water or can I use tap water to start to cycle? How do u guys mix salt?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0