Shrimp ID please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shrimp ID please

Hi, I was filling my water containers with sea water near hilarys (Perth) today & came across these cleaner shrimp. They were very friendly little critters, so friendly in fact that 3 of them waltzed up my arm & got sucked into my containers. I'm very happy to keep them if I can but I need to ID them 1st to make sure they're not protected or banned & also I need to make sure they're compatible with what I have in my tank.

I can't find anything on the net about them. The closest species I can find would be the banded coral shrimp but these guys have clear bodies like glass shrimp with white claws & red wrists. They have little black spots on them & dotted red lines.

I have 8 peppermint shrimp, a redline shrimp, 2 clowns, a clarky, blue tang, carpet plano???, torch coral, bubble tip & some other hardy corals that I can't recall the ID of.

I currently have these 3 hitch hikers in my quarantine tank but would love to introduce them to my main tank if everything checks out ok.

I'm not really familiar with marine inverts, so I'm not entirely sure. But in FW, shrimp that have arms like that (Macrobrachium) tend to be predatory... Add with caution? But really, for all I know they might be fine.
    Cheers,

Rufus

"I completely lost it. Well, okay, that sounded more awesome than what I really did, which was yell. And by yelling I mean sending a bunch of TEXT MESSAGES ALL IN CAPS!"

Comment

Looks like a DAE with a macrobrachium like arm! This must be a case of convergent evolution. Can someone comment?

Sorry OP OT.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel View Post
        Looks like a DAE with a macrobrachium like arm! This must be a case of convergent evolution. Can someone comment?

Sorry OP OT.
        Hmmmm that theory had crossed my mind.

The pics really don't show their true colours. They are glass like but they have quite distinctive white claws with red wrists just like the banded coral shrimp. Interestingly, there is a small coral reef nearby.

Can't be DAE as they only grow to 2cm. These things are at least double that. They're quite large. I've got a full sized scarlet skunk cleaner & these are twice his size.

They're definitely a species of cleaner shrimp. I'm 100% sure about that. I'm just wondering if they're a banded coral that has evolved due to diet or environment or a cross species. When I was keeping FW fish I had a male Jack Dempsey that bred several times with a female Texas cichlid. The fry were very colourful & colours varied but my point is a lot of aquatic species can interbreed. In fact of all the forms of life on earth I believe they are the most likely to successfully interbreed.
        Last edited by Sharky1; 10-10-14, 10:11 PM.

Comment

I'd say given that you saw a few, it's more likely that they're a distinct species rather than a hybrid. But, I guess, you never know.

Your best bet at identifying them might be to try and get yourself a picture book, or even a taxonomic key, of marine invertebrates/crustacea/decapods (preferably Australian) and have a wander through it. It's difficult relying on internet searches, especially if you use terms like 'shrimp' or 'cleaner shrimp', because all you'll hit is the most common stuff/species. Have you tried a Google image search? My guess would be that you'd likely get hits of machrobrachium, but you might get lucky?
          Cheers,

Rufus

"I completely lost it. Well, okay, that sounded more awesome than what I really did, which was yell. And by yelling I mean sending a bunch of TEXT MESSAGES ALL IN CAPS!"

Comment

They look like ones we have in SA that I think are Palaemon serenus

Comment

Originally posted by Altn View Post
              They look like ones we have in SA that I think are Palaemon serenus
              Yep, red handed (boxer) shrimp they are. Thanks for your help guys. It looks like I've found three little companions for my reef community. They seem extremely friendly & almost playful. I like them.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel View Post

Sorry OP OT.
                Just sent you a pm about the years I lost in the convergent/divergent jungle....a rather special but lonely place.

Comment

Hi mate, i keep over 20 of these guys in my reef aquarium. They are called boxer shrimp or red handed shrimp. I have found that they are completely reef safe, they do not eat corals, i spotted mine eating a small pest worm, they eat hair algae and occasionally become a great little meal for my coral banded shrimp. They can be kept safely in a reef and can also be frozen to use as food.

Comment

Palaemon serenus is the scientific name....

Comment

Common name in the industry is "white glove shrimp".
                      Not a bad little shrimp, quite hardy too.
                      "AQUIS have proven on numerous occasion to have a distinct lack of humour." ~ saundo

Comment

What I will say, go back down to wherever you found them and bring in some more! They are easy to catch and are great in the aquarium. (I do not know what collection laws are in WA, so only do so if legal).

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0