No announcement yet.

"Soggy Socks" - Don's new Cade build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow. That landed looking like a months or years old scape rather than something less than a week old. The two logs supposed to look like a continuous branch that had broken in the vicinity of a golden-ratio-driven focal point is awesome, and I think the wallichi will look good in the right corner when it pokes its head up.

It's lucky though that my tanks are at work and I don't have something like that to sit in front of and drink beer at home - I'd probably end up sitting there drinking beer until I quite literally couldn't get up!
    siemanthepieman - french for 'bloody legend'

Comment

Originally posted by Monty1089 View Post
      Now the fun will begin .. the algae that is. Hopefully you don't get it. Bloody hell can ruin a nice setup. Are you going to be dosing any ferts or just using CO2 only?
      Yes, dosing ferts... 50% Leafzone+ / 50% EI trace+water mix in an Eheim liqui-doser (same as before). 4 x 1ml per day. I suppose I should have held off dosing liquids for a bit but whatever, I didn't... Stuff is starting to grow now. The substrate isn't uber-fertile but that's the way I like it. Far easier to add ferts than to take them out IMHO...

Comment

So, this was supposed to be a one month update which it kind of is. I'm not sure if anybody even sees this amongst all spam-bot posts that riddle this place now like maggots on a decomposing body but oh well...

The tank looks fine. Yeah, a bit of an algae spike (hair algae) but to be honest, I've just left it there for now. The Otocinclus are loving it and I've seen a lot of what looks like spawning behaviour from some of them.

cade 6 weeks old on Flickr

The plants are growing in ok. I've started to train some MC onto the top of the wood pieces (where all the hair algae is now) because this is probably one of the brightest areas in the tank and so I don't know quite why I thought exposed wood would not grow algae abundantly uncovered.

The tank is also visible from the right hand side. This is the view.

cade 6 weeks old RH side on Flickr

You can see that the R.Wallichi is starting to kick in. The R.Colorata is a bit ordinary - it might be a bit light starved back there. A bonus feature of this shot is my DIY spraybar I made from bits from Bunnings. The entire thing cost me about $7 and is barely visible in front of the black background mostly.

cade_cories on Flickr

The Cories really seem to relish the new tank. They form themselves into little schools and go on Cory Patrol in various sections. They industriously grub around in the sand, digging up MC every night. There's been lots of Cory-spawning but I haven't seen any fresh fry as yet.

So far, apart from the minor (and expected) algae outbreak, it's been going fairly smoothly.

Comment

It’s looking good dcm!
          siemanthepieman - french for 'bloody legend'

Comment

Hi Don, I just read your build thread from the start - tank looks fantastic. Is there a story behind the name?

Shame to see the forum going quiet. I've been busy with a young family the last ten years or so but joined up same year you did back in '07... What happened between the forum owner and users that was alluded to earlier in the thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Kris View Post
              Hi Don, I just read your build thread from the start - tank looks fantastic. Is there a story behind the name?

Shame to see the forum going quiet. I've been busy with a young family the last ten years or so but joined up same year you did back in '07... What happened between the forum owner and users that was alluded to earlier in the thread?
              The "Soggy Socks" name? Oh, I'm just always a bit amused by some of the ultra-serious/ultra-deep names that are given to fish tanks: "Contemplating infinity", "Zen Reflections", that kind of thing. When I think of building a tank, I think of spilled water and soggy socks.

Life got in the way a bit for me two for a couple of years but I always had (and have) tanks running. I came back and was like the "Omega Man".

From what I understand, the software platform the forum is based on got upgraded and in doing so, some key functionality went missing (whether through omission in newer versions or by misconfiguration, I don't know). Specifically, it became difficult to see when new posts were added. You had to go looking for them.

That's annoying but even more annoyingly, it triggered a collective boycott by many users. Apparently the change was big enough for them to preferentially blow up the world. I've been unable to find out where they went. I'm guessing Facebook but for a bunch of reasons, I do not have (and have never had) a Facebook account.

The forum (as you can see) is being hit hard by AI spam bots and I guess the moderators that would formerly have cleaned that up have also abandoned their posts.

The forum owner (who I have been unable to personally identify but is out of a WA business) does not seem to be either participating or monitoring the forum either (reasons unknown: I hope he or she is ok). I'm half surprised that the hosting and/or domain name registration have not lapsed. I put out an offer a couple of times to spend time cleaning up but nothing anybody has picked up on.

I've no idea what the infrastructure looks like or if the forum software upgrade can be rolled back (or was even snap-shotted prior to upgrade). Last time I ran a forum, it was a BBS and you accessed it via a modem :-/
              Last edited by dcm; 20-05-21, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Loved your full thread DCM
                So funny and helpful

The tank looks amazing too
                Hope some work comes along soon as well

Graeme
                Read this very helpful thread on BSS .
                No pictures on your BSS advert? Then be prepared for it to be deleted ( read the rules )

Comment

Originally posted by Graeme View Post
                  Loved your full thread DCM
                  So funny and helpful

The tank looks amazing too
                  Hope some work comes along soon as well

Graeme
                  Thanks Graeme - it's starting to look chillingly like a 5-years-too-early retirement. Thanks also for de-spamming the thread.

Comment

Well *somethings* have liked their new home and their thoughts turned towards sex. Doing my weekly water change I noticed a couple of fry darting about.

cade_fry on Flickr

Unsurprisingly, there are a few less now (suspect only two left) but they are already much bigger - probably around 2mm. When I first spotted them they were incredibly tiny.

There is really only one suspect: the Boesemanis. For the Lacustris, I only have males (that's all the aquarium stocked). I only have ONE female Boesemani (and THAT was hard to find) and I thought by now she must be long menopausal. I guess not.

There's really nothing else they could be. Cory fry are strictly bottom dwelling. I did see the Otocinclus behaving strangely but I suspect that these too would not be surface swimming as fry: that's a rainbow trick in my experience.

It would be nice if they survived but it's tough to see how.

Comment

Hey dcm.

The tank is looking great

I have MIA from the forum too as well since my last post. I kind of fell back into the Mexican stand off ways

But yeah tank looks nice and green. I didn't even notice the algae. How is the algae battle coming along now?

Also I read you put an offer to buy the forum? Is that correct? Send the guy/girl another offer and fix this forum please!!!! In fact the owner should gift it away if they are not going to bother running the thing or even fixing issues.

But in terms of the tank it's great. The carpet at the front is coming along nicely too. Keep us updated. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Monty1089 View Post
                        Hey dcm.

The tank is looking great

I have MIA from the forum too as well since my last post. I kind of fell back into the Mexican stand off ways

But yeah tank looks nice and green. I didn't even notice the algae. How is the algae battle coming along now?

Also I read you put an offer to buy the forum? Is that correct? Send the guy/girl another offer and fix this forum please!!!! In fact the owner should gift it away if they are not going to bother running the thing or even fixing issues.

But in terms of the tank it's great. The carpet at the front is coming along nicely too. Keep us updated. Good luck
                        No, I didn't offer to buy the forum. It would be hard to see how it is a viable business in any case. There is no discernible revenue. Even just taking it over (if that were ever offered), there will be costs associated with running it and it's hard to understand how they might presently be being recouped.

I did offer to put in some free time to help clean it up but only by way of posting - there's no response. I did not directly attempt to contact the owning business. I doubt the forum is being monitored. Since I have little to do on the employment scrap heap and have an IT background, I'd be happy to put in a few hours per week and prune some spam at least. It's really sad to see it this way.

On the algae front, things have settle down pretty quickly. RIght now the tank is largely algae-free. It was a fairly short algae spike although I did have to use some glute to deal with a BBA outbreak on the wood.

Comment

Originally posted by dcm View Post

No, I didn't offer to buy the forum. It would be hard to see how it is a viable business in any case. There is no discernible revenue. Even just taking it over (if that were ever offered), there will be costs associated with running it and it's hard to understand how they might presently be being recouped.

I did offer to put in some free time to help clean it up but only by way of posting - there's no response. I did not directly attempt to contact the owning business. I doubt the forum is being monitored. Since I have little to do on the employment scrap heap and have an IT background, I'd be happy to put in a few hours per week and prune some spam at least. It's really sad to see it this way.

On the algae front, things have settle down pretty quickly. RIght now the tank is largely algae-free. It was a fairly short algae spike although I did have to use some glute to deal with a BBA outbreak on the wood.
                          Hey dcm.

I haven't been able to login to the forum in two days. Some time out error

Oh ok that makes sense. The owner should offload the forum for free to be honest. If they are happy to accept help then there are people out there *like you* that are willing help. However it seems that ship has long sailed. The owner has fled!

Good the algae has calmed down. The whole tank looks great.

Keep the updates coming!

Comment

I'm enjoying the updates also... congrats on the fry... always a good sign that fish are happy.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0