No announcement yet.

Nano Seiryu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not much of a change really. I had some plugs of hc float, but that hasn't happened for a few days now. I think the pearling caused them to dislodge. CO2 is going at around 2bps. Giving it a daily pump of ada step 1 too. No signs of diatoms (most likely because the soil id 6 months old).

Comment

Love the Rocks Again Brad, Another great scape Well done!!!
      Not all mid-life crisis involve a sports car

Comment

This is going to be really beautiful Dantrasy. Can't wait to see it grown in

Comment

Originally posted by bolsy View Post
          Love the Rocks Again Brad, Another great scape Well done!!!
          Originally posted by GR1KTR View Post
          This is going to be really beautiful Dantrasy. Can't wait to see it grown in
          Thanks guys.

I'm discovering that seiryu raises hardness ... a lot. I'm used to keep tanks around 120 tds. This tank is closer to 200 tds, even with rodi wc. Shouldn't be much of a problem though. Kh is pretty high at 8.

I measured nitrites this morning and they're registering pale purple. So the cycle seems to be chugging along. Last weekend I took some filthy media from the 1ft tank and placed it in the filter for this tank. So that seems to have done the trick.

Comment

Yes that's the down side with yingshi and seiryu rocks. But shouldn't affect HC at all. Only certain sp like tonina and syngonanthus.

Keep us posted!
            aLan

Comment

Looking very nice so far Dantrasy. Love how you grew you own HC.
              I had no idea Hardness causes problems for tonina and syngonathus. Does it kill the plant?

Comment

Hey Dantrasy,

Fabulous tank as usual. Not surprising seeing that it's yours.

I wondered why there was irregular growth of your HC in the seedling tray. It doesn't look like it could be the light. can you think of why it grew so irregularly/inconsistently??

Comment

Originally posted by emboli View Post
                  I had no idea Hardness causes problems for tonina and syngonathus. Does it kill the plant?
                  Thanks emboli,

Yeah, apparently so. there's are a few plants that require low tds, low hardness. I've never grown them, so can't say what too much hardness might do to them

Originally posted by Rebel View Post
                  I wondered why there was irregular growth of your HC in the seedling tray. It doesn't look like it could be the light. can you think of why it grew so irregularly/inconsistently??
                  Thanks Rebel,

When planting I pulled a little bit of hc from each tray and discovered moisture level differed wildly. Some roots were dry, some damp and others were really wet. So I figure the poor growth trays didn't get enough water.

This morning I noticed some of the hc is showing the signs of transition and going a bit brown.

There's also moss (appears to be moss) growing up from some of the rocks. I didn't put it there. I'll post a pic later tonight.

Comment

Couldn't get a photo of the moss, it's too tiny. I'll try again soon.

In the meantime, here's a pic of the transitioning hc and a pic of the tank.

Last edited by Dantrasy; 22-08-14, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Dosing potassium may help to preserve the current growth without causing algae issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeymikemike View Post
                        Dosing potassium may help to preserve the current growth without causing algae issues.
                        Thanks Mike, I'm going to switch over to macro/micro dosing on alternate days now. I had been dosing just ada step 1, which is most (if not entirely, micro ferts). Step 1 results in major oily surface film. I prefer dino pee.

Comment

I wouldn't use Brighty K as it is potassium carbonate based and will raise hardness even more.

Tim.

Originally posted by Mikeymikemike View Post

Comment

Got the brown aglea blues atm and a bit of gsa. There's more life left in the soil than I imagined. Light has been lowered to 6hrs and I've started dosing 1 drop of dino spit daily. It'll look pretty ugly for the next few weeks, already the rocks and sand don't look so good.

Comment

My seiryu doesn't seem to raise my carbonate hardness much. Haven't kept an eye on it, but I just tested and it was 3dKH and I'm using tap water. I am doing two or three 50% water changes per week though.

As for cleaning the rocks I've found the quickest and easiest way is to use a rechargeable electric toothbrush. The rechargeable ones are waterproof and you can grab a generic woolworths one for about $25. They also make cleaning the corners of your glass and your canister filter motors much easier.
                              Joe.

Comment

Originally posted by Gomer View Post
                                As for cleaning the rocks I've found the quickest and easiest way is to use a rechargeable electric toothbrush. The rechargeable ones are waterproof and you can grab a generic woolworths one for about $25. They also make cleaning the corners of your glass and your canister filter motors much easier.
                                That is a pro tip man!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0