Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nano Seiryu

I have a new hardscape in the making.

The box is mini m sized. I've painted over the last pic, just to give an idea of where this might be heading. The pic shows sand, hc and dhg.

Any reason why this wouldn't work? Perhaps moss needs to tied/glued to some of the bigger rocks - cover some of them up.

Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited by Dantrasy; 10-08-14, 07:54 PM.

Dantrasy

I blacked all the surrounding area to eliminate all the distractions.

Making a mock up in a cardboard is an excellent idea.

Here are a few alterations I would like you to consider and the reasons are.

The white sand looks very nice for a period of time until it starts to become dirty, it is also can be very glary.

All the rocks are shades of grey and it clashes with the white sand.

The two smaller rocks separating the sand and the plants looked like they were dividing your Aquascape up into two sections, this was stopping a good eye sight flow.

I now used black substrate (make it level across the front to give it a smooth uninterrupted look.

Now all of this will give a greater sight flow.

Just a few points for you to consider.

Keith

Comment

Thanks Keith, I have some Sarawak sand I'd like to use, so it's not white. Spreading the sand across the front more is a good idea. I'll rework things

Comment

Hi Brad.

Looking good man.

Please consider keeping it as first "painted", assuring the bald rock is the highest point in the tank without any background of green. This will contribute to the alpine illusion, rather than being a paddock with some rubble. I personally prefer tanks totally green, but if you are into sand, than it is most successfully executed as a natural colour.

I like it as it is. The only thing i would try not to use is moss. It will look better and more real (considering the scale) as a minimalistic, clean, two plant scape.

Comment

Thanks Adrian

I'm thinking of having hc in front of the big rock front left. i think sand would be too low and the rock behind would look too big. With soil and hc you can get at least 7cm height (more with slope), so it will cover up a lot of that rock.

I still like the sand in the center idea. I'll see if i can arrange the rocks so that it spills over to the right, so there will be a small sand portion front right. Center to right might give better flow.

I'll post a pic or 2 tonight.

Comment

ok, changed things around quite a lot

Comment

Preferred the first layout. The rocks looked more natural and more bold/impressive. The second layout feels too flat and the single large stone stands out and is too straight. The main stone in the first layout has nicer texture/detail and the overhang/shape of the front of the stone works perfectly with the sand bowl you've created.

Just my impressions from a couple of photos. Hard to get a sense of how these feel from a couple of pics.
              Joe.

Comment

Thanks Joe. I came to a similar conclusion with the second layout - the big horizontal rocks is a bit overpowering.

I've tried one last arrangement with that horizontal rock turned upright, then a pointy medium sized rock to its side and a small rocks towards the back. Yes, iwagami. I'll post a pic later today. So far I like it the best. I prefer the 'full of rock' look, but I'm not sure I have the right rocks for it.

Comment

Comment

Last one. this one follows the iwagumi 'rules' a bit more.

Looking at the pic I think I'd make the small rock 1 tuna tin high, not 2. as high as the previous pic.

Comment

First one for me. Maybe only have the sand at the lower level and plant out the raised sand bit. What's the plant choice for this one Brad.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Dantrasy View Post

It's nice, but missing the 'WOW' factor.

I liked the idea of the original post with decorative sand. Perhaps this tank might provide some inspiration? http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2013/show267.html

Comment

I'd seen that one Craig, even had it as my screen saver at work for a time. It won it's class at the AGA contest from memory. Very cool.

The 3 rock 'A' design works for me. The rocks seem to fall into place as they should.

I'll see what happens. Might go back to a tweaked version of the first layout. I still have to empty the fire tank, sell/trade off the plants.

Comment

Originally posted by Dantrasy View Post
                            I'd seen that one Craig, even had it as my screen saver at work for a time. It won it's class at the AGA contest from memory. Very cool.

The 3 rock 'A' design works for me. The rocks seem to fall into place as they should.

I'll see what happens. Might go back to a tweaked version of the first layout. I still have to empty the fire tank, sell/trade off the plants.
                            Does this mean this setup will get the Aquasky?

Ur last scape is nice, but as someone else has already pointed out... it doesnt have the WOW factor. IMHO, I quite like the scape in your first post although I am quite biased towards "mountainous scapes".

Comment

Originally posted by pleco4me View Post
                              It's nice, but missing the 'WOW' factor.

I liked the idea of the original post with decorative sand. Perhaps this tank might provide some inspiration? http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2013/show267.html
                              Would someone please be so kind to fill me in on exactly what plants are in the scape provided in that link? I am a major plant noobie!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0