my 6 foot tank.... Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my 6 foot tank.... Pics

This is my 6 foot tank, first shot is just substrate (and some java moss thrown in), second shot is rocks and some plants. More plants have now arrived - will do more pics once I have time to get the plants in. Forgive the crappy photography, my decent camera is in for repairs and this is my first attempt at aquarium photography

Last edited by Kitiara; 30-01-08, 07:44 PM.

Awesome!

Off to a great start. Can't wait to see more pics
    Stuart & Kate's Tanks;
    We still have multiple tanks but only 3 are running at the moment.
    Fish stocks are almost zilch.

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Comment

ok aquarium photography works better at night with the room lights off (and one of the aquarium tubes off also....)

I got in today and put in more plants. I think I'll leave it at this and wait for the plants to fill in. There are currently feeder fish in there to cycle the tank. In a couple of weeks once the plants have established I'll throw in my big shark, salmontail cats and the acara. Will be interesting to see how the plants hold up to the big fish.....

Comment

That nightime shot is a great shot,

Tanks looking really good!

Should be a great tank to watch grow in!

Where did you get the background from?

Ben

Comment

Looks awesome Kitiara, though i dont think the plants will last long with those fish hehe

Comment

I'm not happy with the night shot but it's better than my previous efforts - less reflections from elsewhere. Be better when I get my camera back from the shop instead of having to use a crappy point and shoot one.

The background was in the tank when I got it second hand through ebay. I don't know where it came from originally. The background takes up a lot of room in the tank as it sticks out a fair way but does look a lot better then seeing the blinds behind the tank and glimpses of carport through the blinds!

The fish have successfully destroyed previous planted offerrings (3 of them are 30cm plus in a 4 foot tank currently) Before I have put in the plants while the fish have already been in there. I'm hoping this time the plants will have enough roots to hold on when the fish are transferred. The extra tank space may help also. I'm not holding my breath though

Comment

Been a while since I updated so here are some new pics. Plants are now established and the fish have been moved in (now we'll see how long the plants last.....) Since the last pics the wisteria in the back has gone crazy - it would be taller than the tank if it was held upright. it covers approx half the width of the tank left to itself. The water sprite is growing quite well also. The photos look a little green - this is just the photos, to the eye water is clear

Full tank shot

Silver shark

One salmontail catfish

Both salmontails

Comment

Kitiara, that looks great. I love that background. If I can get back on my feet (financially) and get my 7 footer, I would love to find a one piece background like that but......I probably wouldn't get it past the bracing on the top of the tank. lol.

Anyway, you have a great looking tank. Keep up the good work.
                Stuart & Kate's Tanks;

Comment

P.S. How old are the cats and the shark? or were they that size when you bought them?
                  Stuart & Kate's Tanks;

Comment

The background is rubber so is flexible to some extent, I imagine it was bent to jam past the bracing but still would have been a tight fit - it's pretty stiff (either that or the bracing was removed to get it in that way!)

The shark I have had for around 4 years, I actually had 2 purchased the same time but one died mysteriously just over a year ago. The catfish I have had for about 2 years, they were half the size when I got them. The shark is approx 30cm and the catfish are around 35cm.

Comment

Tragedy.

I got up this morning and the shark and the catfish were dead. no sign of foul play, other tank inhabitants fine. Water parameters ok (ammonia 0, nitrate 20, nitrite .05, ph 7.5) I have no idea what killed them, they were swimming around fine when I went to bed, this morning they were dead.

Comment

OMG ! That IS a tragedy. I can't imagine how upset you were, or how angry you must have been. They were awesome fish.

When something like that happens with no apparent cause, it's incredibly frustrating. Finding the cause, and finding it wasn't your fault is even MORE frustrating.

What ever the cause.....it's damned annoying and upsetting.
                        Very sorry to hear about your sad news.
                        Stuart & Kate's Tanks;

Comment

Do you think nitrate at 20 ppm might have affected them? I try to keep my nitrates at 0 in my tanks. Dunno... haven't kept those fish before.

Comment

it's not the nitrate - they are used to higher than that (tap water here has nitrate of 20 so that is the minimum it gets to for all of my tanks)

I suspect it may have been suffocation - I noticed my air pump wasn't working. Would also account for why it was only the big fish were affected. Have just returned from my LFS with a new pump

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0