Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tanz
    replied
    Beautiful tank there. I still like your old lighting setup of two T8s.

Leave a comment:

• mr_c265
    replied
    Originally posted by Rebel View Post
    Chris how much did you pay for this s%^&?
    I guess you get what you pay for, $60. Almost tempted to go back to fluorescents.
    Just kidding, i might buy the CREE 50W's at some point. The two that i've had to send back from other sellers, with the amount postage costs and the cost of the light, i would have been better off doing so in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• Rebel
    replied
    Chris how much did you pay for this s%^&?

Leave a comment:

• mr_c265
    replied
    New light's died already. Now comes the fun part, getting the money back from the seller. UGH.

Had a quick look inside, no wonder it's died..
    Plastic back cover, driver glued to the cover instead of the metal side, wrapped in black plastic.

One layer of electrical tape on the joins, most of them were ok soldered, one not so much.
    Also a melted wire from something or another.

I could probably even fix it myself, but seriously, who makes rubbish like this. This isn't from the CREE seller, this is from another one. I should make a list of ebay sellers not to buy off.

Leave a comment:

• Puggy
    replied
    Yes, would be. I just got my first job a few months ago, and am saving like crazy, since the pay is actually pretty good!
    Ahhh, but you have all those cool trace ferts and fancy stuff that I have no idea about! For me, Dino Spit and Pee is mostly all I need!
    Wish those fert dispensers were cheaper!
    Duckweed would be annoying!

Just scaping my first tank in the next week or so, so excited, just got all these amazing pieces of wood and rock from Adrian to do it with.
    They are, wish they had more CREE models for cheaper.
    Wow! haha.

Originally posted by mr_c265 View Post
    I've managed to work so much i don't even have time to spend my money which is nice and bad at the same time.
    My fert regime is sporadic, some days i leave for uni at 7am and wont be back from work till 10pm or midnight, so it's not as regular as i'd like it to be, but uni holidays are coming up and i should be able to get EVERYTHING sorted then.
    Might even beat the duckweed this time (i swear i nearly had it last month hahaha, couldn't even see a single piece in the big tank).

The idea of properly scaping another of my tanks has me pretty excited. Looking forward to that, might even try T5's again for comparison.
    Floods are initially expensive, but not changing tubes is a bonus.
    I had t8's before and the tubes were $8 for 6500K daylight, those were the days.

Leave a comment:

• mr_c265
    replied
    I've managed to work so much i don't even have time to spend my money which is nice and bad at the same time.
    My fert regime is sporadic, some days i leave for uni at 7am and wont be back from work till 10pm or midnight, so it's not as regular as i'd like it to be, but uni holidays are coming up and i should be able to get EVERYTHING sorted then.
    Might even beat the duckweed this time (i swear i nearly had it last month hahaha, couldn't even see a single piece in the big tank).

The idea of properly scaping another of my tanks has me pretty excited. Looking forward to that, might even try T5's again for comparison.
    Floods are initially expensive, but not changing tubes is a bonus.
    I had t8's before and the tubes were $8 for 6500K daylight, those were the days.

Leave a comment:

• Puggy
    replied
    Yeah, and it probably got pretty bushy as well, which often doesn't help with making stems get crowded and block out each others light.
    Would suck working and uni so much, I am trying to save as much money as I can before Uni, so that I only have to work 1 haha!
    Sucks, you have a pretty good fert regime though? I hope I never have duckweed in any of my tanks.
    50w is powerful, I am thinking of changing to floods instead of T5's on the schools 3ft, but even then floods are expensive in the short term.
    110w is nice.

Originally posted by mr_c265 View Post
    Part of the problem with the leggy stems is that i don't have enough time to trim them as much as i should and to remove the duckweed (working 2 jobs and 4 days at uni is killing me haha) so they grow long and block out all the light. Pretty heavy on the carpeting and midground plants too bit of melting recently. Pulled out Cabomba Furcatus that was over 8foot long in the 4foot tank. I got rid of the big Amazon Sword and the Huge tricolour, but now i've got another 4 that have popped up. Heteranthera Zosterifolia and duckweed are other problems, blocks too much light. So was hoping the new light would sort of help fix this.

The new light is a 50W Cool White (meant to be, doesn't look 6500K to me, but not far off). Total power expenditure on the lights is still only 110W, so pretty happy with that. Am going to replace the other middle light too.

Leave a comment:

• mr_c265
    replied
    Originally posted by Puggy View Post
    Nice Chris!
    Certainly very lush tank! Love it, always looks so green. Pity about the problem with leggy stems.
    What are the specs on that new light, it looks cool!
    7 years, my best is 3 years!
    Part of the problem with the leggy stems is that i don't have enough time to trim them as much as i should and to remove the duckweed (working 2 jobs and 4 days at uni is killing me haha) so they grow long and block out all the light. Pretty heavy on the carpeting and midground plants too bit of melting recently. Pulled out Cabomba Furcatus that was over 8foot long in the 4foot tank. I got rid of the big Amazon Sword and the Huge tricolour, but now i've got another 4 that have popped up. Heteranthera Zosterifolia and duckweed are other problems, blocks too much light. So was hoping the new light would sort of help fix this.

The new light is a 50W Cool White (meant to be, doesn't look 6500K to me, but not far off). Total power expenditure on the lights is still only 110W, so pretty happy with that. Am going to replace the other middle light too.

Leave a comment:

• Puggy
    replied
    Nice Chris!
    Certainly very lush tank! Love it, always looks so green. Pity about the problem with leggy stems.
    What are the specs on that new light, it looks cool!
    7 years, my best is 3 years!

Leave a comment:

• mr_c265
    replied
    Trialling an upgrade to a new light. Got sick of the leggy stems. Will clean the tank up a lot.
    Also thinking about actually doing my first proper scape on another tank. Let's see where that one takes me .
    Just need to clear out the shrimp and the 30 Betta Channoides from the other tank.

But for now:

Guess which one is the new light? Also lost a few of the fish, some from old age (7 years isn't a bad run right?), others from the high temperature in the garage last week that i just wasn't ready for.

Changing from SE Asian fish to South American, the big gouramis are picking the plants a bit. SAE has been too i think. Gouramis have started fighting too, trying to work out how to split them up before someone get's wrecked.

Leave a comment:

• mr_c265
    replied
    Yeah, with the compressed CO2.
    They're mostly Labrinthe fish, so i'm not overly concerned, it's the BN's that im worried about.
    The gouramis have started fighting too, they're a little wrecked up at the moment, so hoping this doesn't tip them over.
    Figured it would be fine since they were fine yesterday, guess the temperature in the room must be up or something at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• Rebel
    replied
    Wow that's scary. Fingers crossed they will be ok. Is this with your compressed co2?

Leave a comment:

• mr_c265
    replied
    Today i somehow gassed my fish pretty bad with the CO2, i turned it up yesterday and assumed it was fine after monitoring it for a few hours. Come tonight (after an interesting week having a busted timer, an air pump and a heater) all the fish are gasping for air and the BN's are lieing on there backs, CO2 went off immediately, splashed the water around the bit and hoping all is well. pH went from 7.8 to 6.2 over the course of the day, so pretty drastic. Fingers crossed tomorrow the tank isn't a graveyard. Plants look happy though. Mostly... The crypts don't like the change in pH.

Leave a comment:

• Rebel
    replied
    LOL 30 Amazon swords??? Mate you should supply the LFS in the area...

Great journal though. Thanks for posting the info & pics.

Leave a comment:

• mr_c265
    replied
    Thanks! I have about 8 of them in there now, all little fortunately, except the huge one. 6 Aponogeton Crispus' (all little), 3 Barclaya (little), The damn amazon sword is what's killing me at the moment, i've got 30 of them in there and over 12 foot of runners. And duckweed. I'm about to clear it out and start high tech i hope.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X
google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0