Chris' Jungle - Proof that budget works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mr_c265 View Post
    None at all. I'm actually having trouble keeping my iron and macro ferts up with the plants that chug through them. I'm actually thinking i really need to go compressed CO2.
    there you go, you are converting to high tech setup, wouldnt take long chris
    Then once you have your co2, you will be looking for more challenge with plant choices, red plants, rare plants, difficult to grow plants
    Then you will have a RODI unit
    Then you will be doing research on iron quality, DIY iron, trace etc

I can see them all coming
    aLan

Comment

Already got red and rare plants, they just turn green and shout at me 'feed me chris, feed me!'
      I'm already fertilizing every day nearly with DIY ferts, pulling out 50 grams of duckweed a week too.
      Substrates probably 50/50 dino dung and top soil by now.

Hahaha, after anzac day i might see about injected CO2, got a bit of pay coming in i do think.
      Chris -my tank

Comment

I spoke too soon, upped Micros and Iron, lowered Macros as the Limno was looking ratty, bit of filament algae on the Pogostemon Stellatus now. Looks like the SAE, BN's and the Rosy Barb are going hungry til they prove themselves useful.
        Chris -my tank

Comment

Here is the old picture from before:

Got a new camera. Rosy's and SAE proved themselves useful. Algaes gone. DIY CO2 has pH down from t***ater 8 to 6.5 ish. Calcium deficiency fixed, GH is now 10, whoops. Trace and micros in every day, phosphates 3 a week. Macros - phosphates a few times a week or whenever TDS starts to drop. TDS a constant 310ppm now with the added CO2.
          Here we go, this is just under 3 weeks growth.

NEW PICTURE:

AND MY RED'S ARE STILL GREEN. So i got a new light to try out on the way.
          Chris -my tank

Comment

OH i've got another golden one for you. The before shot wasn't 'before' enough for my liking so i found this:
            BEFORE THE BEFORE SHOT AND THEN BEFORE THAT TOO

This is around the same time that i joined up, goes to show what this forum does to your tank.
            Chris -my tank

Comment

OH i've got another golden one for you. The before shot wasn't 'before' enough for my liking so i found this:
              BEFORE THE BEFORE SHOT AND THEN BEFORE THAT TOO

This is around the same time that i joined up, goes to show what this forum does to your tank.
              Funny how that happens isn't it those pretty pictures in the photo gallery would convert anyone!

Comment

When i look back, i am shocked at how bad it was, hahaha. At the time i was so happy with myself, i had a 'planted tank' hahahahaha.
                Chris -my tank

Comment

When i look back, i am shocked at how bad it was, hahaha. At the time i was so happy with myself, i had a 'planted tank' hahahahaha.
                  I understand exactly what you're saying with my 1st planted now
                  Thanks for your help in other thread.

Comment

No worries mate, its what im here for! Your tank is going to grow in real nice too, just give it time and patience
                    Or money, lots and lots of money hahaha. Lucky you up in Queensland, definitely wouldn't call that a cold water tank!
                    Chris -my tank

Comment

Another 2 weeks and 3 trimmings later. I think the lotus may have to go. It leaves a fat ugly hole in my background.

Chris -my tank

Comment

Another week. Changing the DIY CO2 bottles more often now and ramping it up a bit. Plants are starting to go red. Myriophyllum Mattogrossense (behind the Cabomba Furcatus) and Bacopa Caroliana are starting to go red too, must be doing something right.

There's at least 15 species of plants just in this area of the photo, who says i have a serious collecting issue?!
                        Chris -my tank

Comment

Another 2 weeks and 3 trimmings later. I think the lotus may have to go. It leaves a fat ugly hole in my background.
                          ... get it out before it's too late:

That's my low tech setup, no C02, random ferts, mineralised topsoil w/ extras substrate, 80W led floodlight with a bit of natural sunlight setup

You have a lovely tank though. I like the opaline gourami. I should buy one.
                          "It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

WHAT ON EARTH IS THAT THING!!!!

Just kidding. Mine isn't going to get to that stage, as soon as the leaves grow a pup (before they get to the surface) they get a trim. Still, i'm thinking it is an accident waiting to happen, i stop watching it for a few days and my tank is full of leaves. This weekend may be its final days. Plus i reckon i could fit another 4 species of plants in the gap. Already got some lined up too.

And thank you! I have 3 in there, they really enjoy the plants, they hide for up to a week at a time and i think they've dropped off and then back they come every few feeding days.
                            Chris -my tank

Comment

This tank is rocking Chris!
                              Bardus's Scape History Photo Album

Comment

Originally posted by bardus71 View Post
                                This tank is rocking Chris!
                                It's my baby! The closest i've ever come to high tech. The first tank to cop my soil experiments! Remember how i mentioned i did an experiment with vermiculite in my sub and had bits of floaty gold stuff in my tank for a few years. This is the tank haha. The sub is between 5-7 years old and still going alright, has started to need dino dung though.
                                Chris -my tank

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0