Shake's "Wabi-Kusa" bowl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shake's "Wabi-Kusa" bowl

Ok members, I was inspired by Plantnuts "Wabi-kusa" that I just had to have an attempt myself.

I had a bowl that I bought awhile ago that I was going to set up as a nano bowl just like Graemes but changed my mind when I saw Plantnuts creation.

Bare in mind I'm no expert in plants like plantnut is.

The plants and mosses I intended to use. Some plants I gathered from the creek/pond infront of our property.

This is the clay ball with a little spaghnum moss mixed in.

The clay ball that has been covered in spaghnum moss and the with java moss, riccia, soleirolia and moss I found in my roof gutters. (don't know how that one will go)

Now I added some C. Wendtii, R. rotundifolia. B.caroliniana and some plants that i found growing along the edge in the creek.

Finished product

Top view

I'll add more pictures of the next few days. Camera battery has just gone flat
    sigpic

Awesome, shake!

I really like the addition of riccia, crypt wendtii and soleirolia! Let's see how they go!

Using a bowl seems to be a better idea, because it hold a lot more moisture around the plants...
    Also, what type of lighting are you using?

Last question.. lol .. Where did you get the soleirolia? Collected or bought?

Cheers.
    sigpic

Subvert the dominant paradigm!

Comment

Thanks Plantnut.

You were my inspiration.

At the moment I'm just using a desk lamp with a 50w halogen. I'm not to sure if I should look for something else or sit it near a window where it could get at least 7-8 hours of sunshine.

Hope the riccia and crypt take off. The soleirolia was bought today from a nursery.
      sigpic

Comment

very nice

Thats really nice Shake

Plantnuts step by step intro has inspired me as well,but it will have to wait.

I cant wait to watch these grow in.

Graeme
        Read this very helpful thread on BSS .
        No pictures on your BSS advert? Then be prepared for it to be deleted ( read the rules )

Comment

A 50Watts lamp should be more than enough for that little thing!

I'm only using sunlight for mine, because our power bill is already quiet high and i can't afford to have another lamp on top of that. (or thats what my partner says anyway..lol)
          sigpic

Comment

looks like ur an inspiration to a lot of us on here Plantnut
            i want to get one going soon too
            looking good Shake, cant wait to see what it turns out like m8...
            i did a bit of googling after seeing it on here and one bloke had guppies in the bowl with em too which looked pretty cool too...

Comment

I remember reading Felix Avery's step by step Wabi Kusa guide over at APC which obviously is the inspiration.

Both Steven Chong and Felix Avery use substrate ferts in the mix along with a root tab in the centre of the ball as does ADA. I notice you guys have chosen not to do this.

To me the natural clay collected from the site of inspiration should have enough nutrients for these but i was just curious.

Perhaps the next photo competition on this site should be "Wabi Kusa" style.

Comment

Hi Plantcrew,

I have seen both Wabi Kusa that you have mentioned.

I failed to mention in my post that I did mix in a little laterite that I found lying about.

Mine was a bit of a rushed project. If it grows well then I will redo it and have a better selection of plants and mosses the second time around.
                sigpic

Comment

Hey!

I remember reading Felix Avery's step by step Wabi Kusa guide over at APC which obviously is the inspiration.
                  No worries.. I never claimed to be the source of inspiration... I "obviously" mentioned here where i've seen "wabi kusas" being done!

I also used one of these 7 balls substrate fertilizers in my Wabi, but instead of crushing it up i just pushed it into the underside of the whole thing.. Let's hope it doesn't cause algae in the long run.

Cheers.
                  Last edited by Plantnut; 26-04-07, 08:00 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

any updates on the plant ball?

very interested in seeing how these work, am thinking of doing wabi kusa for my next tank.

Comment

Originally posted by pepperann View Post
                      any updates on the plant ball?

very interested in seeing how these work, am thinking of doing wabi kusa for my next tank.
                      Sorry pepperann.

It's gone. I neglected it. Growth was OK considering half the time I would forget to turn the light on.

WhenI have some time again, I'll be doing another.
                      sigpic

Comment

type of clay

what kind of clay did you use to make that ball?? anything special??? looks fantastic!!!! tempted to try it myself!!!

cheers
                        He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

Comment

Originally posted by MJay View Post
                          what kind of clay did you use to make that ball?? anything special??? looks fantastic!!!! tempted to try it myself!!!

cheers
                          Just plain clay dug up from the back yard. Nothing special.
                          sigpic

Comment

What is the name of that plant with the pink flowers ??

Comment

Originally posted by andrewwarne75 View Post
                              What is the name of that plant with the pink flowers ??
                              Couldn't tell you Andrew, that was one of the plants collected from the pond in front of my house.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0