Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need advise trying to restart a planted tank

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Neon Tetra View Post
    Another option could be to use only one canister filter and a powerhead, such as Tunze NanoStream/Sicce Voyager/Hydor Koralia. The canister filter is for running a CO2 reactor and the powerhead is for pushing water around the tank.
    This is something that some people advocate as they believe that the slower flow is better for filteration.

    Both are good options I think. In a very large tank with lots of livestock, it's good to have redundancy especially if the OP is going for expensive wild caught Angel fish and discus. Well that escalated fast.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Rebel View Post
      They don't seem to have that Radion listed anymore. Shame if they stopped making it. $$ though. Almost worth just getting the ADA Solar RGB at that price.
      It was actually a marine light, I just played around with the color settings and it ended up working well for freshwater. Was a generation 2, I think they're up to gen 5 now. Definitely an expensive light, I just happened to have someone pass it onto me

      Comment


      • #18
        I have attached an image of my tank from 2018, about a couple of month after setup. Unfortunately, it went down hill from there.

        I appreciate all your advise. At the moment I am considering two cannister filter option. The current set up is based on single filter and a wave maker, unfortunately not doing a good job at the moment. My local shop suggested 2x Astro 2212 1300 lph (looks like an Ehiem clone) and a friend of mine suggested Aqua One Aquis Series 2 1250 1400lph. Both similar price range under $450 total, any comments on those?

        As for the light I am still unsure, really good advise from all the members, thank you. I just want to get it right this time around.

        Thank you.

        Comment


        • #19
          This time around I am considering a two island layout with carpeted plants. A bit ambitious, but as this is likely to be the last time my wife is going to let me spend on my tank I thought it best to go for gold

          thanks

          Comment


          • #20
            I'd go for Aquaone brand. Warranty and parts are all easy.

            Your previous tank looks good. Can I ask what went wrong? Your new proposal looks much higher maintenance.

            Comment


            • #21
              Dantrasy did an island scape but his hand heaps of stone though.
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmeMosVv4Lc<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmeMosVv4Lc">

              Comment


              • #22
                Rebel,

                As for what went wrong, after2-3 months the tank was hit with the worst outbreak of BBA I have every experienced, it took be nearly 8 weeks to get it under control. Shortly afterwards there was a outbreak of hair algae then again another round of BBA. Up until now I was trying to adjust the light, ferts and filter to control the algae. Finally I gave up and used an algaecide, which killed everything other than the crypts and some of the Anubis. During all this process I realised that the nitrogen cycle was incomplete even after 7-8 months. A mate of mine used a par meter and we recorded only 11 par near substrate.

                I feel that there was a imbalance due to poor light, insufficient filteration and perhaps to some extend the ferts.

                This time around I want to ensure I have decent light an filter which will offer me few levers to pull if I need to work towards bringing the tank into balance.

                One last question, for Aqua One, which one is better Nautilus Vs Aquis Series 2? Not too many shops in Australia with Aquis Series 2.

                cheers.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Vicrahl View Post
                  which one is better Nautilus Vs Aquis Series 2? Not too many shops in Australia with Aquis Series 2.

                  cheers.
                  Hmm I don't know that there is much difference. I'd go for cheaper. Remember filter tech hasn't changed since it was discovered. It's just a chamber with a pump.

                  As to your tank, maybe low light was the cause but it's difficult to know. Sometimes once algae get the upper hand, it's hard even for pros. Don't be fooled by the pros who show off their tanks here and there. They make em look perfect. I once submitted my nano to ADA competition and just removed algae manually and 'made' it disappear from the photo. There was algae still there. Those instagram is all lies. The perfect looking tanks require daily and sometimes twice daily maintenance.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    That is really good information Rebel!!

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Rebel View Post
                      Hmm I don't know that there is much difference. I'd go for cheaper. Remember filter tech hasn't changed since it was discovered. It's just a chamber with a pump.

                      As to your tank, maybe low light was the cause but it's difficult to know. Sometimes once algae get the upper hand, it's hard even for pros. Don't be fooled by the pros who show off their tanks here and there. They make em look perfect. I once submitted my nano to ADA competition and just removed algae manually and 'made' it disappear from the photo. There was algae still there. Those instagram is all lies. The perfect looking tanks require daily and sometimes twice daily maintenance.
                      Agreed! lotsa maintenance for the beautiful looking scapes. My 2ft had weekly 50% changes + constant pruning of damaged leaves or leaves with algae growing, peroxide on any hair algae on the carpet. Glass would be cleaned every second day for GSA

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Vicrahl View Post
                        Rebel,

                        As for what went wrong, after2-3 months the tank was hit with the worst outbreak of BBA I have every experienced, it took be nearly 8 weeks to get it under control. Shortly afterwards there was a outbreak of hair algae then again another round of BBA. Up until now I was trying to adjust the light, ferts and filter to control the algae. Finally I gave up and used an algaecide, which killed everything other than the crypts and some of the Anubis. During all this process I realised that the nitrogen cycle was incomplete even after 7-8 months. A mate of mine used a par meter and we recorded only 11 par near substrate.

                        I feel that there was a imbalance due to poor light, insufficient filteration and perhaps to some extend the ferts.

                        This time around I want to ensure I have decent light an filter which will offer me few levers to pull if I need to work towards bringing the tank into balance.

                        One last question, for Aqua One, which one is better Nautilus Vs Aquis Series 2? Not too many shops in Australia with Aquis Series 2.

                        cheers.
                        In a heavily planted tank with fast growing plants, the plants are your filter. I suspect, Your canister never "cycled" as such.
                        If you want to go down the path of fast growing plants, then don't worry about cycling of filter, if you are keeping only crypts and Anubis, then yes, your filter will cycle in due time.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X
                        google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0