How do you feel when....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you feel when....

... you are a house, or in a shop, and see a tank stocking waaaay too many fish?

Do you say anything? Or do you keep it to yourself?

Its hard - especially if its someone private tank - where you can see the fish are stressed. How do you approach the situation without hurting their feelings/telling them what to do?

If it's a shop sales tank, then it's expected to be overstocked.
    If it's a show tank in a shop, I will politely point that out to the staff/owner. If they respond well, then they can count on my continuing patronage. If they take offence, then I will say no more and probably will never return to the shop ever again.
    If it's a friend's private tank, I will mention the fact to them. How I do it depends on how comfortable/close I am to them.

I usually end up mildly offend people though, such as my natural demeanour. It's something I'm aware of and been working to soften slowly
    __________________________________________________ _____
    Riz

Comment

I set up a 30L nano tank for my mum for Christmas last year. The idea was for her to buy a betta... but she ended up with 6 platys. I knew it was a bad idea, and I told her at the time but the LFS owner said it'd be fine... they breed a lot, and she's also added 6 neons and an oto since then. Somehow, nothing has died except the platy fry that get eaten.
      I'm sure it'll crash and burn soon, but I warned her... All the fish are pretty healthy looking.

I usually don't say anything but if I do it'd be more along the lines of encouraging them to learn more about the hobby get passionate about fish keeping. They'll learn soon enough if they get into it. If they ask questions after that I'll be honest with them and tell them, but try and frame it in a way that makes getting a bigger tank sound exciting, rather than a chore/lecture.
      Luke

Comment

There was a tank at uni covered in algae with a heap of swordtails that looked really terrible, so I left them a note threatening to call the RSPCA and was impressed a week later when the tank was cleaned and the fish looked a lot happier.

It was in the biology labs, so I figured they had no excuse for neglecting the fish's health since they should understand exactly what their neglect puts the fish through.
        "It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

I just tell them, if you don't they'll never learn. A pet shop in the local plaza had Shubukins in a tropical community tank at 29c. They were extremely stressed and at the surface gasping. I told them about it and was told I know nothing and to f... off. Passed by 2 days later to see the "expert" scooping out dead goldfish. Stuck my head in the door and said I told you so oh and get f....d.
          If it swims it's good, if it's Sahul it's better!

Comment

I love it when it's someone I know. 4 years tertiary education and 10 years breeding fish, I tell someone they cant keep anymore fish, but 16 year old at the pet shop said he could. Next week get a message asking for help with his 30 dying tetras.
            Chris -my tank

Comment

Originally posted by mr_c265 View Post
              I love it when it's someone I know. 4 years tertiary education and 10 years breeding fish, I tell someone they cant keep anymore fish, but 16 year old at the pet shop said he could. Next week get a message asking for help with his 30 dying tetras.
              The reason I started this thread was due to a similar reason.

I am not an expert on fishtanks - in fact, I am new to the hobby, but even I can tell when something is overstocked or just 'does not look right.' A friend purchased one of those fluval edge 23l tanks, and was told he could fit 20-30 zebra danios in it. Way overstocked, and undersized tank for zebras. I mentioned it (as my friend had bought 15, and was planning on adding the other 15), and I was rebuffed straight away with a 'well the guy in the petshop said I could'

I always want to understock rather than overstock anyway, so the fish have more room to swim and you see more natural fish habits/movements.

Comment

Similarly, I went in to a shop the other day to purchase a plant, and had a query re the size of my filter.

I was told that a good filter runs twice the capacity of the tank.

On here, the minimum is around 6-8... so he was way off.

Comment

Something that I've noticed is that when money is involved they expect the quality to be better, even when it's not. Like recently, I was paid pretty well to consult on water chemistry for a big company, saw someone asked for water chemistry advice on Facebook in a fish group, gave pretty similar answers (albeit shorter) which were basically ignored. Should charge for advice haha.
                  Chris -my tank

Comment

If they cant take advice just take pleasure knowing you are right and they are wrong (secretly). Its sad for the fish, but after it happens 20 times it gets tedious trying to teach people who wont be taught

Edit: cant reply with quote, was in reference to #7
                    Chris -my tank

Comment

perceived value is higher when you pay more for it

Comment

Originally posted by amkr View Post
                        perceived value is higher when you pay more for it
                        Yes, called the price placebo.

Comment

You can tell when the other person will take your advice. I would try and establish that first.

If it's clear that they won't take the advice; I save my breath or make a passing comment. It's their tank after all. You can't save the entire world.

Otherwise I will try and encourage more learning about the hobby by showing them pictures of my tanks/offering them plants etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel View Post
                            You can tell when the other person will take your advice. I would try and establish that first.

If it's clear that they won't take the advice; I save my breath or make a passing comment. It's their tank after all. You can't save the entire world.

Otherwise I will try and encourage more learning about the hobby by showing them pictures of my tanks/offering them plants etc.
                            I'm going to put 40,000 discuss in my 1ft cube *cough*

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0