X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spelling

OK everyone.

I hate to get cranky but enough is enough.
    We all can make the occasional spelling mistake but please try and get it right.
    Using TXT or SMS talk makes it very hard for our international members which we have quite a few of.

I use a program that is free called iespell.It integrates with internet explorer and does a pretty good job.info from here and download from here .

Some forums enforce spelling and grammar very tightly ,we try to be a little more relaxed but please do try.

Thank you
    Graeme
    Read this very helpful thread on BSS .
    No pictures on your BSS advert? Then be prepared for it to be deleted ( read the rules )

I second that.
    Also - without proper punctuation, text is near impossible to read.
    Lengtly text, all lower case with no punctuation is sloppy and annoying to say the least.

Please observe this, as how you write says more about you than many words.

Comment

...and please don't write like an idiot.

Learn the basics of written communication. It isn't hard.

Comment

Just something to consider.... I personally avoid answering posts that aren't properly thought out or aren't researched at all.... I know this may sound a bit harsh on beginners, but I figure if you can't be bothered putting in a bit of effort, why should I go out of my way to help....

Some forums (two in particular I have frequented lately) will ban users for either of these reasons above - no apologies, no help, and no patience. I personally think this is a bit rough, but especially if you are asking for help, please remember that someone is going out of their way and giving their own free time to answer your questions. Please consider this before you post.

It's also not uncommon for more experienced hobbyists to tire of basic questions that have been asked over and over again (answers to which can be found with a basic search). When confronted with someone who is also inconsiderate of the time it takes to answer such questions, many won't bother.

Just something to ponder....
        Cheers,

Rufus

"I completely lost it. Well, okay, that sounded more awesome than what I really did, which was yell. And by yelling I mean sending a bunch of TEXT MESSAGES ALL IN CAPS!"

Comment

np Graeme. Gr8 idea on the speeling.

Comment

Are fishy abbreviations ok? Such as BGA, BBS, BS Catfish etc? Or are we trying to get rid of all TLA's (Three Lettered Abbreviations) I think there is a thread or sticky somewhere with fishy abbreviations, or are you trying to crackdown on all poor punctuation and all abreviations to make it easier for everyone?
            Last edited by MJay; 30-12-07, 05:00 PM.
            He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

Comment

I think the fishy abbreviations are OK as the are used by most aquarist around the world, it's text/sms talk that is annoying.
              sigpic

Comment

No, standard abbreviations are fine - it's improper grammar and spelling that make reading of posts laborious that are the issue here. There has been a bit of it quite recently, and a number of members have communicated to us that it's bothering them greatly.

The issue is when it gets in the way of proper communication, so the standard TLA's are fine

(BTW, dnt frgt th tla thrd nds upd8ng. snd thru ur ids, k?)
                Cheers,

Rufus

"I completely lost it. Well, okay, that sounded more awesome than what I really did, which was yell. And by yelling I mean sending a bunch of TEXT MESSAGES ALL IN CAPS!"

Comment

SNAP Shake
                  Cheers,

Rufus

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                    (BTW, dnt frgt th tla thrd nds upd8ng. snd thru ur ids, k?)

ok...

just wanted to clarify so i can write my posts accordingly and get the most help from everyone.

Comment

Help, I'm turning into my mother

Yes, yes, I agreeeeeee!

Originally posted by MJay View Post
                      is fishy abbreviations ok? like BGA, BBS, BS Catfish etc? ...

That's "ARE fishy abbreviations OK?" - not IS. Aaaaargh! That one drives me nutso but we hear it (not 'here' it) everywhere these days. Plurals people, plurals! Remember: There IS one. There ARE two, three, four...many. So also "there's one" and "there're two" (- NOT "there's two" or (even worse) "theirs two")!!!

Last edited by Finley; 30-12-07, 04:55 PM.
                      Who's Ya Doggy? - lost & found dogs online - http://www.whosyadoggy.com

Comment

You think you guys cop it bad - one of my best friends was a communications tutor at QUT.... I'm continually getting my grammar corrected, lol.

Sometimes I feel like a 31 year old year 5 student.

Don't worry Mjay, I think you'll be just fine.
                        Cheers,

Rufus

Comment

Hope the spelling and grammar is ok now lol I edited it just for you Finley

Comment

Why not make this a sticky in all forum areas,

It gets blxxdy hard to read some posts when i have to translate it in my head first and then go "oh.....thats what he meant.........i hope".

Ben

Comment

wtf hax lol roflcopter teh l337 nOOb

Some people will never get it though. My girlfriend can't understand why I refuse to talk to her over msn or the like (or anyone else I know for that matter).

I have known people who spend all day reading, total bookworms, who honestly can't spell. I guess you have to accept that some people are either quite young, or seriously have trouble spelling. It's when someone clearly doesn't take any time or effort in their post that bothers me. So many questions are simple one sentence, no attempt at explaining their situation at all. I certainly hope I haven't been guilty of this

By the way, I use firefox, and I'm not sure if it's just me but I get a red line under any misspelled words I type on here. It isn't 100 percent accurate, and it is American, but it certainly helps.

I do agree though, so good on you for making it an issue. I've seen much worse on a forum before
                              Thanks for coming, and don't forget to purchase some orange drink, for the long drive home! -Principal Skinner

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0