Ethics of collecting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethics of collecting

Following on from a discussion I had with some people at work today...was curious to see what people think about the ethics of private collecting of (aquatic) specimens for aquarium trials and/or aquaculture.

Are collecting regulations too lax & should there be more restrictions on the things that people can collect? From what I understand (in Victoria) collecting most aquarium species privately requires just a fishing license with minimal if any bag limits that apply to potential aquarium species. Commercially I'd assume you need a different license but frankly never looked into this at all.

I can't think of many species that are driven to the brink by collecting for aquarium purposes - CPDs, redline barbs, boesemani rainbows, bangaii cardinals are the ones that come to mind. All of these AFAIK came into trouble once they were collected commercially for export. Is there a case where private collection has significantly impacted on a population?

Personally I can't see why private collection is a problem, but don't let this bias your responses. I hear about lots more problems arising from keeping exotics, habitat destruction etc. Not enough natives in the trade IMO and there doesn't often seem to be new options.

I think there should be catch size limits (obviously hard to establish for all fish/invertebrate/plant species)

I personally don't have anything against private collecting. With the state of our river systems it may be one of the only ways to ensure species survival long term, Lake Eachem rainbowfish anyone?

Comment

The only wild caught fish i keep are the western mosquito fish (as a feeder fish) and some yabbies . I beleive some rules for private collecting should be changed to protect habitats and specis of fish

Comment

Second one down - the code of conduct, has a section on ethical collection:
        http://www.aquagreen.com.au/guides.html
        Might add to the debate
        "Weeds are just plants growing in the wrong place" - Jackie French
        Gardening is just racism for plants - Amber, The Old Guys

Comment

Originally posted by DiscusEden View Post
          Second one down - the code of conduct, has a section on ethical collection:
          http://www.aquagreen.com.au/guides.html
          Might add to the debate
          Have to say the guides on collection appear at first read to be a very commonsense approach. Good reference Discusdude!

Comment

Originally posted by alltypestropical View Post
            The only wild caught fish i keep are the western mosquito fish (as a feeder fish) and some yabbies . I beleive some rules for private collecting should be changed to protect habitats and specis of fish
            Be carful with Gumbasia. If you're caught with or catching them it's a pretty hefty fine.
            It's not that I'm stupid, It's that I'm from a generation reliant on Spell Check

Comment

Also read the ANGFA code of conduct. http://www.angfa.org.au/angfa-coc.html It is designed to be a guide to wild aquatic life collectors. There are limits on forage fish collections in some states. You must also take into account people who collect bait for fishing. Catching a few fish in a good nice clean habitat has very little impact compared to large scale habitat altering operations like Dams and big agriculture and urban sprawl. The biggest threat to our Environment is the spread of the worst invasive weed species of all. (humans)

Cheers
              Dave

Comment

Observe the bag limits always. leave the creek as you found it. Always breed what you collect if possible. I try to destroy any ferals that I get as bi-catch. I take a leatherman with me with a saw attachment and a bottle of round up and a small paint brush. if I see any weed saplings i.e chinese elm, tobacco or camphor laurel etc. I will chop them down and poison the stump. Got to look after the vegetation too.

Comment

one thing i totally hate is the peddling of wild caught Tanganyikan cichlids, like frontosa, tropheus, cyprichromis sp, i dont understand why people think its necessary to have them, big international dealers like airfish, in my opinion are a problem, paying the native people a pittance and not helping them with ethical ways of supplying fish in demand like more pond raising of fish, one of my first loves were tanganyikans, everything I had in my collection was locally bred and awesome, healthy & colourfull, every one wants new species & varients to be available in our market, but with unsustainable wild populations like Tropheus duboisi & others people need to understand they dont need wild caught fish to produce quality, also for me many wild caughts carry paracites and need further care and treatment to be their best, tank bred fish are the best as all health probs & unsustainable supply stops, I really dont give a hoot what generation of fish ive had were from wild caughts, just as long as they are healthy colourful and reproduce for me, I seriously wish people would think that way.

Comment

I think there is a very fine line between private collecting and collecting from a monopoly. A large industry collecting fish is very different than a person catching a wild fish on their on. Contrary to my statement, the ethics are also subjective based upon the scarcity of the fish. Even more so the supply and demand of a fish, which from a monopoly or a large collection of people could compromise multiple aquatic specimens survival.

- C. Smith

Comment

From my understanding CPDs are not threatened!

Comment

Originally posted by Fishandme3 View Post
                        From my understanding CPDs are not threatened!
                        But why do they hide in 1000s of planted tanks all day? They feel threatened..... :P

Comment

Haha. Reality if you have a species only tank with them they don't hide at all

Comment

Originally posted by hoodie75 View Post
                            one thing i totally hate is the peddling of wild caught Tanganyikan cichlids, like frontosa, tropheus, cyprichromis sp, i dont understand why people think its necessary to have them, big international dealers like airfish, in my opinion are a problem, paying the native people a pittance and not helping them with ethical ways of supplying fish in demand like more pond raising of fish, one of my first loves were tanganyikans, everything I had in my collection was locally bred and awesome, healthy & colourfull, every one wants new species & varients to be available in our market, but with unsustainable wild populations like Tropheus duboisi & others people need to understand they dont need wild caught fish to produce quality, also for me many wild caughts carry paracites and need further care and treatment to be their best, tank bred fish are the best as all health probs & unsustainable supply stops, I really dont give a hoot what generation of fish ive had were from wild caughts, just as long as they are healthy colourful and reproduce for me, I seriously wish people would think that way.
                            1 without wild caught fish your pretty tangs gene pool would shrink and become that inbred they would no longer be viable as a species
                            2 wild caught fish are more times than not more robust and definately genetically superior to designer fish and whats wrong with putting some genetics and blood as motjer nature inteded it into a gene pool
                            3 not all wild caughts are exactly that...wild strains are often sold as wild caught because the parents were caught in the wild and may have bred 50 times in captivity just the fish are kept in their locallity and not introduced to an artificial environment 100 km s away
                            4 anyone that keeps wild caughts import them legally , go thru quarantine ,put them thru a second quarantine process eradicating bacteria,organisms ,diseases and acclimatise their prized fish before introducing them to the system they are going to spend their days in call me a patriot but i like my bacteria and diseases aussie born and bred
                            5 AQIS regulations and their apparent hatered for a lot of imported breeds (some understandable...some not) may ban the the of fish that you like .or anyone else on here for that matter .so the availability of different bloodlines in an ever reducing spiral ......gee thats gotta be good for our brood stock
                            6 so when we got nothing but rubbish fish all related in and the smuggled fish come in you will be needing to sell your first born child to pay for them and the crooks get richer ....paying the locals less than the legal importers do now...
                            7we undoubtadly have illegal strains of fish in australia already and as far as im concerned illegals should be destroyed immediataly....just look at american cichlids we havent been able to import them for at least 20 years i think....New Guinea Rainbows------banned import but i think with the close proximity to us theres some undisclosed fresh bloodlines or even strains hidden behind a fish room door somewhere
                            8 so when some huge multinational company comes and mines a river or lake somewhere in the wide world and fks the environment and leaches chemicals into the waterway or dams it so the fish cant get to brackish water and cant breed for one of these reasons or are obliterated from their natural environment and get declared endangered and we have a thriving population where will your arguement stack up then ..oh ye it wont .
                            2 sides to every arguement
                            Last edited by Kd0603; 26-12-16, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0