No announcement yet.

Anybody Designed a "Tank Blanket" yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody Designed a "Tank Blanket" yet?

Speaking of Eco-Friendly Tanks and lessening energy consumption, does anyone insulate their tanks at night and tuck their little babies into bed in winter?

I am planning on putting a 4' low tech planted tank in the coldest room in the house. It's also tiled. If anyone is insulating their tanks overnight, would love to hear your ideas.

Styrofoam is hardly Eco- friendly, but I did manage to sleep outside on concrete on a 4 degree winters evening in Canberra with a cardboard mattress, cardboard blanket, cardboard doona, cardboard pillow and cardboard tent :-/

Any considerations here, will the heater respond and stop heating so as not to cook the fish?
    Last edited by bardus71; 15-04-11, 09:47 AM.
    Bardus's Scape History Photo Album

bit of chore to put on a blanket.

How about insulating the bottom 9foam), back and sides plus a lid on?

Also reverse day and night photo-period... to use heat from the light as a extra source of heat.
    Robert

Comment

Hey Robert, was thinking to have the tank on styrofoam and the back permanently insulated with styro also just cause it may get wet, and have the front and sides as a few layers of cardboard glued together as a 2 fold wrap around.

At this stage feeling a bit precious about restricting ventilation of the water surface as I am keen on the idea of it being available for overnight gaseous exchange.....

Comment

thinking about doing something similar as well.

I already have the photo period reversed but mainly because we have peak and off-peak power and im a bit of a night owl.

But for tank insulation i was thinking getting the foam matting that you use when you go camping (available from Kmart etc) and backing it on a pine wood frame or sheet of perspex. Finally ill glue a sheet of mylar to the contact side. You can also get mylar from Kmart camping section as emergency blankets. If you have ever used one of these emergency blankets you will know they are amazing at insulating. I've slept pretty much butt naked in one of these during winter out in the bushes at Holsworthy on a rainy night and it kept me very cosy.

Comment

I've just set up what I hope will be a breeding tank in our garage (brick/concrete/drafty/with a thin metal door) which will get quite cold in winter. I found an old picnic blanket and have it bulldog clipped around the sides to keep the heat in. It seems to be working very well.
          I'll try anything twice.

Comment

If you havn't found any already I've seen some coldwater marine setups with a similar concept, most usually polystyrene sides and lids.

I think you should jump on the snuggie (/slanket) bandwagon and produce the TANKLET

Comment

Ahh, Holsworthy. Almost spent a night in there myself when we almost didnt make it back to the car by sundown. Got lost on the track back from Kingfisher or Kookaburra creek/falls. Cant remember the name. Awesome location. Thanks Victor & dollarpots for your feedback, seems easier than I imagined it might. Solomon, I think youre onto something there!!!!!

Comment

Just took a break from addressing this exact issue - 2 x 3ft tanks on E/SE facing balcony.

I'm using Silver Batts adhered using double sided tape with styro panels over the batts. Been cutting the panels to size ready for application tomorrow. Will do same for lids. Front will be uncovered and catch the morning light directly for 3-4 hrs per day.

I figure heat loss through one exposed surface only MUST make a major saving. Let's see, eh?
                Thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Sweet 2toned, brings to mind high school science, 2 types of heat, radiant and convection. Got them both covered with silverbatts. Doubly effective. Ka-ching! I can source some car roof insulation that may do the same thing, just a bit thinner. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

Covered three sides of each this evening. Next will be lids, then a stryo layer for overkill.

Decided to do all seven indoor tanks in the silver, as well.
                    Thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Would love to hear how much your electricity bill drops 2toned. PS do you use the LED replacement lights for T8 tubes or know anything about them?

Comment

Bought a 90W unit in Dec - great output, plants loved it. But the bloody thing crashed this week - $180. Fans still running. Will contact forum seller today... no, NOW.
                        Thanks for all the fish!

Comment

I made two tank insulators yesterday out of boxes and scrap styrofoam. I used the corners of boxes which are already rigid to hold the shape of them and also left on the corner at the top as well to create a lip to hand it onto the tank. A little hard to explain, so here are some pics. They arn't the prettiest things, but a bit of paint would make em look decent enough.

Denying climate change...priceless

Comment

Simple and effective, well done and thanks for the pics Ninegrain.

Comment

Now the lip is a great idea! Thanks for sharing it, I'm finishing mine off this weekend. The Silver insulation has made a diference, but I need more as there's a significant wind-chill on this balcony.
                              Thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0