Cheap Sand-based CO2 Generating Sub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap Sand-based CO2 Generating Sub

Here's a recipe I've been using for 4-5yrs for a low cost, long life substrate that suits just about everything I've grown.

Propagating Sand (Bunnings $4.95 a bag)
    Marble Chips/Oyster Shells
    Blood & Bone
    Laterite (optional, as the sand has a lot of clay in it)
    Peat Moss (optional)

Cover the base with 1-1.5cm unwashed propagating sand - straight from bag, heaps of clay
    Sprinkle marble chips - 1 x handful per 30cm square
    Sprinkle blood & bone - 1 x dessert spoonful per 30cm sq
    Sprinkle laterite - 1/2 x handful per 30cm sq or lay cut and dried potters clay
    Cover the lot with 3-4cm well washed propagating sand, don't want all that clay in the water column!
    Cover with cling wrap and fill to desired level to work with plants.

The propagating sand is full of minerals and a fair bit of clay... that's why you can get away without using laterite. Coupled with the B&B for N & Ca, the gross feeding plants love it.

The marble chips help maintain ph balance, which is needed for efficient nutrient uptake, and provide an ongoing Ca source. It also acts as the carbon reserve, supplying CO2 as it dissolves. Oyster and other mollusk shells do the same and are the building blocks of aragonite.

The sand is fine grained for a substrate, which keeps all the crap from leaching into the water column. But it really encourages micro-organisms, worms, etc... and I find that the spiral (Malaysian) snails keep it really well aerated - not to mention the Corys rooting around.

In three years I've never had a problem with fouling or gas build up.

I've tried adding a fine layer of peat, but haven't noticed an appreciable difference either way.

The substrate in my shrimp tank is full of tubifex, which aerate it constantly and transfer nutrients up and down through it. My CRS/CBS seem to love the free treats they deliver.

Give it a go - even in an experimental tank.

Sorry Mods would you please move to Sustainability.
    Last edited by 2Toned; 26-02-11, 05:17 PM.
    Thanks for all the fish!

Very interesting! .
    Is there anything that would have trouble growing in a substrate like this? For example would this sustain enough nutrients for a carpet of HC?
    My 80cm Cube - http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showthread.php/53552-Zanes-High-Tech-80cm-Cube-Build

Comment

Interesting recipe Tony. Where do you source the marble chips from?

With my first DIY substrate I put too much B&B in and ended up with a stinking mess, so I'd recommend people stick to the spoonful per square foot, and not get carried away.

Comment

I remember reading, or you told me about on the phone, about this recipe of yours awhile ago 2Toned, I tried it out (minus the marble chip as I couldn't find any up here) on some emersed Anubias. Those Anubias are now 2 foot tall, flowering like mad and trying to push the lids off the emersed tanks. It took an age to get going but once it did it was impressive. Next substrate trial I do will probably be a DIY test of 16 recipes, this will get a run for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Zane View Post
          Very interesting! .
          Is there anything that would have trouble growing in a substrate like this? For example would this sustain enough nutrients for a carpet of HC?
          Hey Zane,

I've been using Tonys recipe for a while now (whenever I see it mentioned I always comment on how good it is and cheap!!) and can confirm HC grows well in mine, give itv a try it's well worth a trip to bunnings.

Dave

Comment

Great post 2Toned

Im assuming you see it diffusing through the substrate?

On a side note: When I was experimenting mixtures making reef rocks, I found an unknown place on Police rd in Springvale.
            They used it as an additive for some product the produced. I told him what i needed it for and he gave me a largebag of it for free. Served my purposes however I haven't seen it for sale commercially for the better part of 10years down here on my travels.

Perhaps others have a lead they are already aware of?

Comment

Sorry, was in the middle of dinner. Marble chips was what i was referring to!

Comment

You post some pics and I'll move your post!!

Or maybe

You choose? Can't be fairer than that.
                If it swims it's good, if it's Sahul it's better!

Comment

............!

Comment

Andrew... looks like it's Tango! eh?

Out of town, back tomorrow... will post then.

PS I get the marble from B*nnings, as well.
                    Thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Thanks for posting. Seriously thinking about using this recipe for my panted low teck 8'2'2 that you may have seen me start a journal on. Will the marble chips raise the ph at all as i will be stocking discus?

Comment

Originally posted by saundo View Post

You post some pics and I'll move your post!!

Or maybe

You choose? Can't be fairer than that.
                        OK Andrew... here you are.

Full Frontal

Left Half

Right Full

Crypts in middle foreground

FW Sole acquired today at Aquaritic. Cute, eh?

Tanks has been set up for about 15 weeks. Pics taken with phone... best I can do.
                        Thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Nice. I might give it a go if the clean healthy growth in your tank is an indicator.

Thread moved as requested!

And yes the sole is cute in a flat, two eyes on the same side kinda way. I guess??
                          If it swims it's good, if it's Sahul it's better!

Comment

2Toned, it sounds like a promising recipe from the comments. I'm going to give it a whirl I think it a spare tank. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

This was my trial tank for the substrate, just a guppy grow out tank. The HC has grown from two 50c sized pieces, Excuse the hair algae, it hitch hiked on the windelov! Probably not the best photo to do justice to this substrate, but my 2.5ft with the same mix is currently a jungle due to lack of time!!

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0