Betta 1liter jar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Betta 1liter jar

I can't believe anyone would keep a betta in a 1 liter jar and then they stoop so low to say they care about the fish to me this is unexceptable.
    Last edited by Big azza; 30-03-13, 02:16 AM.

i tend to agree,
    For long term survival Bettas shouldn't live in that much water in it.
    As they cannot stretch their fins to it's full potential.
    But when space is an issue then 1l is more then enough, especially for bettas.

Comment

1L is too small, id say by itself in a nano tank it would be ideal.

i've had few a few bettas actually and they've lived happily in glass bowl/vase. but they dont do all that well in community tank even if its guppies/tetra. they tend to boss the tank, overeat and get sick...

Comment

[QUOTE=nautilusly;449685}

they dont do all that well in community tank even if its guppies/tetra. they tend to boss the tank, overeat and get sick...[/QUOTE]

And your evidence for this is?

You're an owner of a betta are you? Because I have mine (both imported halfmoons) in a 20L nano each, one with 6-8 neon tetras and the others with harlequin rasboras and both with two corydoras. They couldn't give a damn about the little fish and NEVER flare at them at all.

Quite frankly they are far more active in the presence of other fish and this i believe adds to their quality of life.

Any fish in less than a 10L tank is going to be sad, depressed, unfit and unhealthy. Can it survive for a while? Sure, its it humane? No. They will almost surely suffer more disease and die younger.

Comment

I got given a Betta once, poor little fellow was in a 1L tank. Felt bad for him, got him a 4L until i sorted out the end tank. He got sick in the unheated 4L, deathly so, so i put him in my 200L tank with my Betta Foerschi's, never looked back. He is happy, he swims around, he doesn't harrass the Foerschi, he doesn't eat any of the smaller barbs and he doesn't nip the gouramis.

But hell, if you have a good filter, a heater and a sump, 1L is fine...
          Chris -my tank

Comment

Well said Chris. What is it with Betta's and hardly any water, Quality of life, Room to swim with other fish, Bull*^#t vasees and jars Why, Why cant they have a desent sized thank????

Comment

Well I think 10 liters should be a good size tank min size.

I made the mistake of putting them in a 2 liter betta tank and that was from advice from a lfs I now have them in 20 liter tanks and now I enjoy watching them

Comment

ONYA Big azza

Comment

Originally posted by Curious_Chaos View Post
                  And your evidence for this is?

You're an owner of a betta are you? Because I have mine (both imported halfmoons) in a 20L nano each, one with 6-8 neon tetras and the others with harlequin rasboras and both with two corydoras. They couldn't give a damn about the little fish and NEVER flare at them at all.

Quite frankly they are far more active in the presence of other fish and this i believe adds to their quality of life.

Any fish in less than a 10L tank is going to be sad, depressed, unfit and unhealthy. Can it survive for a while? Sure, its it humane? No. They will almost surely suffer more disease and die younger.
                  no evidence, just personal experience. I've had 4 betta at different times - mainly because my then-girlfriend wanted them. I have housed them in various setups - 3L flower vase, 34L aquarium by itself, and even 1L floating breeding box in my 200L community. i used to feed them 1 pellet a day and they were fine and healthy. but once I've moved them into my 200L, they started to eat more than they should. They were greedy, and i literally had to bar them away from the food or they will not stop eating. As the story goes, all my betta died of bloating which i suspect it was constipation due to over-eating, and that was the end of my betta keeping.

Comment

Thanks Errol

Nautilusly I give my bettas 3 to 4 pellets twice aday I'm using omega what brand are you using I also skip aday with no food at all I have even gotten a pair to spawn on pellets only.

Comment

Originally posted by Big azza View Post
                      Thanks Errol

Nautilusly I give my bettas 3 to 4 pellets twice aday I'm using omega what brand are you using I also skip aday with no food at all I have even gotten a pair to spawn on pellets only.
                      i dont remember what brand was i feeding to my betta, it was a 1-2mm pellet that i used to feed all my fish. Beware not to overfeed the fish, i think betta are ok with small tanks and stagnant water, but they are prone to disease by overfeeding

Comment

Originally posted by davo0192 View Post
                        But when space is an issue then 1l is more then enough, especially for bettas.
                        Sorry mate but this is a load of garbage IMO. Its like saying that if space is an issues you can keep a cat in a cardboard box.
                        Whatever

Comment

I have also had Bettas live for over 4 years in a community tank. They will always do much better in a larger body of water.
                          Whatever

Comment

Hi everyone

So for anyone that thinks 1 lt is enough for a betta no way it's enough.not now not ever

I think these people should not be keeping any fish at all if you can not house your fish properly don't have fish simple as that
                            Last edited by Big azza; 01-04-13, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0