salt in guppy tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• salt in guppy tank?

Hello everyone, could someone please tell me if salt is necessary for a guppy tank and if recommended at what amount should salt be added. I have a 40 liter tank? thank you

No salt is required in a guppy tank. Mine are happy, healthy and breeding like rabbits in fresh water.

Comment

I have kept guppies in tanks with salt and without salt. Agreed, salt is not required to keep guppies - BUT I personally found that the guppies in tanks wich contained salt did a lot better, bred better, and lived longer than those in just fresh water (Just my experience )

Guppies like a high PH in their water. A couple of ways to achieve that without salt are:

1. Add "white rock" or limestone to their aquarium,

2. Use black gravel

Hope this helps

Comment

If you are a ornamental fish keeper.....don't worry

If you believe you are a hobbyist ......add a couple to teaspoons of salt....(live bearers like water with high conductivity)

With some.... near enough is Good enough but it only takes a little more effort to understand the ideal conditions for a particular species of fish and provide it....

Personally I've found it a lot more rewarding to make the effort....
        all fish show better colours and are more active in the right water
        Last edited by Rod; 08-07-12, 09:20 AM.

Comment

It seems Sydney water has a ph at around 7.7-7.8 which is ideal for guppys. Is there a formula or a general rule has to how many guppys should be kept in a tank i.e 2 guppies per 10 liters to minimize an occurrence of a deadly ammonia spike?

Comment

Working...
          X
          google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0