Crypt striolata

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crypt striolata

Anyone growing C. striolata, can you advise growing conditions?
    Dif-tor heh smusma
    Live long and Prosper....

ANGFA Vic Member, EDAS & EDAS PSG Member & AGA Member.
    Owner Reservoir Aquatics Tissue Culture Lab

From what I can gather, C. striolata can be difficult to cultivate submersed (there are varying reports of difficulty online, with the go-to website the Crypts Pages being one of the websites I found saying it is difficult). Emersed conditions in a rich soil mix would be what I would try personally. Likely ADA Amazonia or Black Earth would also work for fast growth. If keeping submersed (avoid this maybe if you only have a single plant?) try softish water with a relatively neutral pH and lots of water flow, CO2 and light. I've heard of people recommending pure rainwater for submersed growth. Also, if you have a spare plant or two in the future, I'm sure a few of us crypt nuts here would be interested in some!
    Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 03-05-17, 06:29 PM.
    Rainbowfish, Cryptocoryne, Echinodorus

Comment

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/freshwate...of-sarawak.htm

We found some dark-purple and greenish colored Cryptocoryne striolata growing on the submerged rocks. This Cryptocoryne species happens to be the most common aquatic aroid in Borneo.
      most common would suggest it shouldnt be tooooooooooooo fussy... Good Luck!

Comment

Pictures of Crypt striolata in its natural habitat here: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...at-borneo.html

Seems to agree with the extraordinarily brief description from Jacobsen I sent via email that mentions sandy areas - -- looks a lot like murrayman's native tank!

...and them there is illumbomb's blog page showing them being cultivated on rockwool so they cant be too hard to grow: http://illumbomb.blogspot.com.au/201...rimenting.html

... I wish I lived in the tropics.

.. lol but you can google too... haha!

When you have 100 of them in tissue culture I can donate some glasshouse space to grow a few out!
        Last edited by Grubs; 03-05-17, 07:11 PM.

Comment

I've got a little experience emersed with a certainly locality of C. striolata now. This particular one is from a location with quite hard water where it grows along with C. hudoroi.

I have been having a lot of success in peat-based DIY mixes with dolomite addition at ~22C. About six different mixes were tested over about nine months and the conclusion I came to was that the higher the pH was the healthier the plants would grow in the long term. Commercial mixes like ADA Amazonia and CAL Black Earth began very strong with better growth than the DIY mixes but eventually ran out of steam and now have very stunted growth. The DIY mixes with an addition of 1tsp/200ml and 1tsp/1L of dolomite (both of the mixes with the highest pH) are where the best growth is being seen.

Also, apparently green forms of C. striolata are generally found in areas with a high pH (above 7.0) and forms that have more of a reddish-black colour are found in areas with a lower pH (below 7.0). This means that there is not a one-for-all mix.

Cryptocoryne striolata from the locality I mentioned.

Cryptocoryne striolata with an unknown locality. It is flowering in a mix that I believe was sand and peat with a fertiliser tab addition. The mix is neutral to acidic. Taken on 17/06/18.
          Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 17-06-18, 07:00 PM.
          Rainbowfish, Cryptocoryne, Echinodorus

Comment

Working...
          X
          google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0