Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed for a long grass like crypt please

Hi guys,
    Been a long time since I have had a planted tank as I have been busy with bare bottomed discus keeping. I have now got a empty 4x2x2 tank I want to create a flooded Amazon plain look, but the catch is my new love is twenty metyennis lippincottianus or spotted silver dollars, which are avid plant eaters. So, what I am looking for is a long grass looking crypt that silver dollars are not very fussed on eating and will grow back quickly if nibbled on, any such thing, or should I be looking at a totally different species?

Hiya,

You should be investing in a 3D printer and print ya own plants. That'll teach those rascals.

http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...ver-dollar-eat

Make sure you grow plenty of hornwort or duck weed outside in a tub so that you can feed them on the cheep.

Comment

If you have your mind set on a crypt, try C. spiralis (which can be bought from Aquagreen currently for $6.60) or C. crispatula var. balansae (very common). Your best bet is probably artificial plants, though.
      Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 03-12-16, 08:55 AM.
      Rainbowfish, Cryptocoryne, Echinodorus

Comment

Would Vals be an option? All I know is mine grow and multiply like there is no tomorrow. I thought they were slow growing!!

Comment

I think it's worth testing with a few cheap Crypts to see if they eat them. Apparently, aroids have a bitter taste and will be left alone after the fish get to know that. BTW....most of the long,narrow leafed species will grow much better with some marble chip added to the substrate....or something else to create an alkaline condition around the roots. The pH of the water makes no difference...it's the roots.

Comment

I think crypts might be too slow growing. Bite marks could take years to grow out. With silver dollars though maybe try some needle leafed java fern? on wood instead? Just looking at that thread Rebel linked to and JF seemed to be left alone.

Comment

I've read on one or two overseas forums that silver dollars obliterate Java fern also. Whether this is a case of Chinese whispers (I heard it from this guy who heard it from...) I'm not sure. Still worth trying!
              Rainbowfish, Cryptocoryne, Echinodorus

Comment

One strategy is to put plastic plants first then slowly introduce real plant once you train them not to eat.

Comment

Working...
                X
                google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0