Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Cryptocoryne nurii and Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Green Gecko' around?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Cryptocoryne nurii and Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Green Gecko' around?

Hi everyone,

I'm planning a low maintenance nano tank and are looking to source:

Cryptocoryne nurri (like the one pictured on http://kryptokoryne.aquaticscape.com...lture-success/)

and

Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Green Gecko' -> the one with red veins on the leaves (like the one pictured on http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...ils.php?id=190)

Not sure if they are in Australia. I'll be keen to get some if someone can direct me to a source...

Thanks.

Cheers,

Johnnie

I've been looking for C. nurii for a few years and it seems no-one has it. C. wendtii 'green geko' was around about 3 yrs ago but haven't seen it for a while.
    Dif-tor heh smusma
    Live long and Prosper....

ANGFA Vic Member, EDAS & EDAS PSG Member & AGA Member.
    Owner Reservoir Aquatics Tissue Culture Lab

Comment

Thanks Paul,

I'll probably have to change my options... to something similar. I've tried using C. wendtii 'Tropica' but it doesn't seem to display the "hammered leaves" that everyone has been referring to. Maybe I've been sold a dud

Cheers,

Johnnie

Comment

I had some Nurii sent to me from Dave with some other plants , they went great for around 12 months then just withered away to nothing for no reason whatsover, really nice small Crypt witha sort of a Tiger stripe effect on the leaves

I have Wendii Green Gecko but its struggling for some unknown reason, small stunted slow growth, all other plants I have that require simliar or either identical parameters are going great, another Crypt mystery as I have grown this previuosly with much success, really bright green leave with red viens
        C.Tropica should be one C. Wendttii that is easy to identify, the leaves certainlydo have that hammred look and should be lovely shiny dark greeny brown

Comment

Thanks... Nick.

It's the bright green leaves and red veins that got my attention for Green gecko. Looks like I was sold a dud...for the C. 'Tropica'. Unfortunately, it was an impulse buy at a fish shop where the plant was labelled as C. 'Tropica'. Anyway, I'll contact Dave over the new year with a Crypt wishlist I've had C. crispatula balansae and C. 'Rosenervig' growing in the tank without any issues. I also have the smaller ones like C. parva and C. x willisii in the foreground and they seem to be doing well.. I thought C. wendtii varieties would be the easiest to grow...

Cheers,

Johnnie

Comment

The problem with crypt wentii species sold in Oz is that the growers haven't flowered them to correctly identify and label them so you don't really know what ones you are buying.

Here is one I bought some years ago and lost when I relocated the tank, do you think I can find it again

The 2 cryps I would like to have are C. keei & C. hudoroi. It is claimed they both do well in aquariums unlike C. nurii which doesn't last submerged in an aquarium.

The problem with C. wendtii 'green geko' is it can revert to a normal looking green wendtii.

The best wendtii hybrid I've seen to date is from Florida aquatic nursery - C. wendtii 'Florida sunset', but it is unavailable in Oz.
            Last edited by PaulB; 24-12-13, 05:34 PM.
            Dif-tor heh smusma
            Live long and Prosper....

ANGFA Vic Member, EDAS & EDAS PSG Member & AGA Member.
            Owner Reservoir Aquatics Tissue Culture Lab

Comment

Originally posted by PaulB View Post
              The problem with crypt wentii species sold in Oz is that the growers haven't flowered them to correctly identify and label them so you don't really know what ones you are buying.
              Very true! I'll definitely keep this in mind when buying Crypts (especially the C. wendtii ones)...

Cheers,

Johnnie

Comment

Working...
              X
              google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0