No announcement yet.

Flowering Crypts / cryptocoryne inflorescence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are yours from Dave? This is what i was talking about with clonal names. The varients need to be able to be labelled some how as a standard. Should it be labelled 'Coloured Limb'? To keep track of this varient.

cheers
    Last edited by pilchard; 25-09-10, 01:40 PM.
    An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on the muddy banks of rivers doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Comment

• Yep mine are from Dave. I think the colours and variation in growth will come with the environment they are kept in. If we swapped plants and kept our growing conditions the same I'm pretty confident we would get the same looking variation. Crypts are pretty much chameleons, adapting to their surrounds. In years to come I'll have to try that experiment, 2 tanks all potted the same plants but with different substrates / lights / humidity and water conditions. The plants will look very different, but will the flowers?

When I get the plants from Dave, they rarely look the same in 6 months time after growing in my setup. I use very low light and I think his light is much much brighter. Surely he has flowered this one several times ..... Dave?
      Last edited by BrianS; 25-09-10, 02:00 PM.

Comment

• Hi all,

Today while checking my greenhouse, I found a flower on my Crypt Wendtii Red !!

I was so excited, as I only check these plants once per month, and to have timed it to find a precious flower is amazing.

Anyway, I dont know much about the plants or flowers, only what I read on Brian S's threads (thanks B).

I picked the flower today, picked Brian's brain then dissected it and photographed it (the flower that is, not Brian's brain!!)

My photography skills are poor.. sorry.. but some pics are better than nothing.

Just realised I no longer have a photobucket account.. back in 5 mins with links to photos.
        Take care
        Dawn

40cm shrimp cube

Comment

• pics to follow
          Take care
          Dawn

40cm shrimp cube

Comment

• duplicate post
            Last edited by nchanted; 09-10-10, 09:20 PM.
            Take care
            Dawn

40cm shrimp cube

Comment

• I know I dissected it wrongly, but it was my first time. Also I cut the flower off at soil level, then remembered there was another part under soil which I went back and removed and it is the last photograph.

Thanks to Brian S for all assistance and support!
              Take care
              Dawn

40cm shrimp cube

Comment

• one more pic

Take care
                Dawn

40cm shrimp cube

Comment

• Nice stuff Dawn,

Looks like a cute little flower. Can you share some of the culture info you had for this plant. Was it growing emersed? Was it a softdrink bottle type setup? What soil you had it in. Keep an eye on this one as it may just flower again shortly along with any others you may have. It's that time of year.

Cheers,
                  Brian.

Comment

• Hi Brian,

This is an Aquagreen Crypt, it has been growing emersed in my greenhouse, softdrink bottle style (with lid on). I notice on the tag I had written "soil" as the substrate, but that is not a very good descriptor. I only saw aquarium gravel for the first inch whilst removing the flwer. Tomorrow I will see if I can identify the substrate (could well be straight gravel). Woot! another flower would be nice!

d
                    Take care
                    Dawn

40cm shrimp cube

Comment

• posted message in wrong thread - sorry!
                      Take care
                      Dawn

40cm shrimp cube

Comment

• Had my camera gear setup so I thought I'd take a shot of this flower that opened today. It's a pontederiifolia, my first ones had no red colour in the throat but I noticed that the last one started to develop some colour there. This plant was repotted a fortnight ago, it was given a fresh dino dung pellet and all the daughter plants were removed. Perhaps it may go back to pure yellow if it keeps flowering? This spathe was already developing when I repotted it.

Comment

• I will be keeping an eye on mine that is emersed for the next few weeks. great looking flower. What is the flower in your avatar from?
                          Take care
                          Dawn

40cm shrimp cube

Comment

• That's a C. Cordata "Rosenervis" from aquagreen. I've only flowered it the once and is my favourite flower so far.

Comment

• It is beautiful
                              Take care
                              Dawn

40cm shrimp cube

Comment

• Crypt. Unknown (Parva/Willissi) Inflorescence

Yesterday morning the flower on my crypt labelled Crypt. Unknown (Parva/Willissi) opened. I was given this plant by Brian S. It has spent the last 6 or so months in the greenhouse, grown emersed soft-drink bottle style. I was amazed to see the colour inside the flower, its a hot pink.. magenta colour leading to yellow, almost lime green. Pictures speak louder than words.. so here we go:

Last edited by nchanted; 09-10-10, 09:19 PM. Reason: typo
                                Take care
                                Dawn

40cm shrimp cube

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0