Flowering Crypts / cryptocoryne inflorescence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Submersed C. c. var. s. 'Blassii' Inflorescence

One of these beauties opened up inside this morning but upon dissecting the kettle I found my non-DSLR could not manage a decent macro, so I've only settled for photographing the limb this time around. I think I need to set up a proper lighting arrangement, too, as I'm getting some pretty heavy shadows showing up on the collar and limb. Has anyone got any tips for how to go about stopping this from happening?

Submerged and still attached to the plant (there is an unopened inflorescence in the background).

A close-up which shows a completely yellow collar with a red/brown tinting in the limb (most noticeable at the edges).
    Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 27-09-16, 04:01 PM.
    Rainbowfish, Cryptocoryne, Echinodorus

Comment

• Hey crypto, check out ring flash for macro if you want learn more about lighting. The lights depend on working distance etc.

Comment

• Thanks heaps, Rebel. I've always liked the idea of a ring flash (for unrelated reasons) but it never occurred to me that it could come in handy for this as well.

Comment

• Funny how they flower underwater. Mine did this too. Very nice. How tall was the whole thing?

Comment

• Thanks Grubs. I thought the same thing as there would be no chance of insects for pollination so saw making a flower a pretty pointless waste of energy. The entire thing was about 15cm.
            Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 23-10-16, 05:09 AM.

Comment

• The C. wendtii 'Red' will be flowering for the first time shortly.

Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 24-10-16, 09:56 AM.

Comment

• Crappy camera pic, unopened C. x purpurea inflorescence. Hopefully it won't melt on me before I can get an ID out of it and take some diagnostic photos!

Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 19-04-17, 08:13 AM.

Comment

• So good to see these plants doing well. Looks like it may get a bit taller yet!

Comment

• I'm hoping so, but some of my plants have a habit of sending squat inflorescences initially so it's anyone's guess. The plant itself doesn't look too happy, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the flower isn't just the plant's last attempts at reproduction. It seems to be rather difficult to get established emersed but hopefully mist may help down the track as submersed growth seems to be simple. I will update with flower progress here when able to.
                    Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 18-04-17, 05:23 PM.

Comment

• Aaaannnd it's open! I'm just looking to see if the limb ends up curling down a little more before I dissect it and look for the purple (purpurea) inside the kettle.

I have a feeling although the leaf colouration and growth rate of this plant is extremely different to my siamensis varieties... I'm thinking maybe a cordata or some type? Grubs, can I have your opinion, please? I'm stumped. I've read Dennerle write somewhere that this was collected from Borneo... if it's not C. x purpurea the only other plant from Borneo that seems to have a similar inflorescence is C. cordata var. grabowskii... Will add some more info to Grubs' list.

Opened inflorescence...

Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 20-04-17, 08:38 AM.

Comment

• C. cordata var. siamensis 'Rosanervig' (from Aquagreen). Photos taken 28/04/17.

Comment

• Have the white/pink lines come back to the rosenervig leaves? When I first got that plant many years ago it had nice white lines in the leaves. Now they dont.
                          Last edited by Dave; 29-04-17, 05:51 AM.

Comment

• Hey Dave, the variegation in the veins comes and goes. Initially they were throwing some white veins on their first few emersed leaves but now it has stopped. I've read the veins become more vivid in lower light... this would make sense as with this plant it was at the edge of the tank under a single T8 initially when the veins were showing but shortly after I moved it quite close to a large LED floodlight and it started growing with silver/green/brown leaves without variegation. Also the leaves dropped to the soil when before they were reaching towards the light. With the the other 'Rosanervig' outside it seems to be similar... hugging the soil (but propagating like crazy!) but rarely having any variegation (see: http://i.imgur.com/m2GkE97l.jpg). Some experimenting with different lighting and soil mixes will be in order soon, I think!
                            Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 01-05-17, 02:39 PM.

Comment

• Very nice indeed. I've never managed to make the veins "pop" but every now and then I get a small streak of pink to remind me they are in there somewhere. I have seen a great one in another forum members tank so I know its possible. jealousy is a curse... but keeps me motivated.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cryptocorynus View Post
                                Aaaannnd it's open! ... if it's not C. x purpurea
                                I think the spathe looks a lot more like a cordata than xpurpurea just from the pictures I've seen... but the leaves throw me.
                                Last edited by Grubs; 29-04-17, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                google.com, pub-5201535165471905, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0